3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: How far would you go to hunt??  (Read 1204 times)

Offline frassettor

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
How far would you go to hunt??
« on: April 07, 2009, 09:04:00 AM »
Myself and a fellow Tradganger decided to "take the plundge" and sub lease a 40 that is very promising! We know the gentleman that is leasing the 160 acres now( another fellow Tradganger, and a friend of mine as well). The only downside to it is the distance from home (1 hr 45 min). Me and my buddy talked with our wives, and got the ok, so needless to say we are very excited. How far would you travel to lease land. We are surrounded by nothing but hardwoods, ceder swamps, and ridgelines. This property is out in the middle of nowhere, and has a food plot and a small pond on it . Any tips on spending the night in relative comfort. We will be sleeping in the back of the van with a air mattress. In the cold months..How would we keep warm? Im a little wary with some of the heaters out there because of the carbon menoxide they give off.

Stories, tips....Welcomed     :thumbsup:
"Everything's fine,just fine". Dad

Offline daveycrockett

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: How far would you go to hunt??
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2009, 09:18:00 AM »
Here in Texas some drive 6 to 8 hrs. to their lease and never leave the state.

Offline BernieH

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2009, 09:24:00 AM »
5 hours here, I try to go every other weekend during the season. Sometimes it doesn't work out and I go every weekend.
Bernie

Offline IronCreekArcher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2009, 09:25:00 AM »
I would drive that far for good hunting.  Try to get you hands on a small wall tent with a wood / coal stove.  I have a Montana Canvas 8x10 with a small wood stove and it is awesome.  A couple of cots and small air mattresses on top and you in business.  Good luck and keep us posted on how the hunting goes this fall...  :campfire:
We do not rise to the occasion.  We fall to our level of training.

Offline Paul/KS

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2009, 09:29:00 AM »
Originally posted by daveycrockett:
Here in Texas some drive 6 to 8 hrs. to their lease and never leave the state.
I had a truck like that once...  :D

Offline frassettor

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2009, 09:29:00 AM »
IronCreek...Where do I get one of those tents?

Offline IronCreekArcher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2009, 09:33:00 AM »
I don't know where to tell you to look for a used one but a new one can be purchased from Montana Canvas in Belgrade Montana.  Mine cost about $800 but that was 10 years ago now.  Call them they also may have leads on used ones.  I will do some looking and see if I can't find something for ya...
We do not rise to the occasion.  We fall to our level of training.

« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2009, 10:28:00 AM »
I drive 3.5 hrs to the lease. It is a good lease and good place to hunt. I love hunting there but it sure hurt the pocket book when gas was $4.00/gal.

Bisch

Offline frassettor

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2009, 10:34:00 AM »
Wow, with the responses I recieved my 1hr 45 min doesnt seem that terrible anymore

Offline longbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2009, 10:35:00 AM »
I guess if I had t actually get in my car to go to my hunting I would but hope it doesn't come to that!

Offline BobCo 1965

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2009, 10:43:00 AM »
That's about the same distance I drive. The fortunate thing is that I have a place to stay overnight if I want.

Online MnFn

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: April 07, 2009, 10:48:00 AM »
I can relate to your dilema. I travel about 135 miles to hunt some land I own. I usually try to spend two days at least when I go.

The first year we just spent the day. The 2nd year I bought a cab-over camper. Too small, sold it. Third year built a room in the old barn, it worked ok but was too large and too hard to heat and keep clean. The last 4-5 years I bought an old 32 ft travel trailer. I put a propane heater(vented) and a wood stove for back-up in it. I leave the trailer parked there. It is easier to keep clean, and has nice big windows for watching animals. I think I paid about $350. for it.

I have mixed experiences with tents. If you get a good lined one they will work. I spent about two weeks in one north of Fairbanks one winter, and it was fine. I spent one night that seemed like two weeks in a poor one in northern Minnesota - not fun.
Gary
"By the looks of his footprint he must be a big fella"  Marge Gunderson (Fargo)

"Ain't no rock going to take my place". Luke 19:40

Offline Friends call me Pac

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: April 07, 2009, 11:03:00 AM »
I hunt public land in Arkansas.  The nearest place is 4 miles away and the fartherest that I have been is about 2 hours.  

I tent camped for a lot of years but this is now my home away from home.  I had a 32' camper and it was great but just wasn't conveniant to tow around and get into some of the places I wanted to go.

I really like my truck camper.  Most convienent way to camp for me.

USAF Retired '85-'05

An old hand me down recurve sparked the fire, Trad Gang fanned the flames.  There is no stopping now.  Burn baby burn!

Offline BobT

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: April 07, 2009, 11:12:00 AM »
It is not unusual for me to drive a couple of hours to hunt so I don't think that is too bad. I don't do it too often because I can jump in the truck or on the ATV and be hunting in 5 or 10 minutes any direction I go.
 I think a good wall tent is the most comfortable camp. Mine is a 14x16 and about the right size for 2-3 guys, a good stove and good cot and you are all set. I got mine from The Wall Tent Shop, it's kind of awkward the first couple of times you set it up but now I can do it by myself in about 45 minutes, with 2 guys that know what they are doing it only takes about 15 minutes start to finish.
Bob

It's better to shoot for the moon and hit the fence post than to shoot for the fence post and hit the ground!

Offline Steertalker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: April 07, 2009, 11:22:00 AM »
In Texas we don't measure distance in miles but by how long it takes to get there.  One hour and 45 minutes is close.  My deer lease is only 2 hrs and 15 minutes away.  What I find amazing is that your lease is only 40 acres.  Wow.  I'm on a 1200 acre lease and consider it to be VERY small.  Different strokes for different folks  :)  

Brett
"America is like a healthy body and its resistance is threefold:  its patriotism, its morality and its spiritual like.  If we can undermine these three areas, America will collapse from within."  Joseph Stalin

Offline northener

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: April 07, 2009, 11:28:00 AM »
My cabin is 200 miles away which takes me 3 hours and 40 minutes to drive. Yes, it does have it's drawbacks but once there I would not want to be anywhere else. Just the aroma of the pines and aspen is enough to wash the trip away! not to mention the sounds and smell of a softwoods campfire!

Go for it!!  I agree with the camper  either pop-up or pick-up, Home away from home, and self contained! You can buy used for cheap and fix up yourself.
Intellectuals solve problem, geniuses prevent them

Offline frassettor

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: April 07, 2009, 11:58:00 AM »
Originally posted by Steertalker:
In Texas we don't measure distance in miles but by how long it takes to get there.  One hour and 45 minutes is close.  My deer lease is only 2 hrs and 15 minutes away.  What I find amazing is that your lease is only 40 acres.  Wow.  I'm on a 1200 acre lease and consider it to be VERY small.  Different strokes for different folks   :)  

Brett
Welcome to Wisconsin
  :D

Offline Biggie Hoffman

• SRBZ
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: April 07, 2009, 11:59:00 AM »
I wasin a lease in Florida that was 8hours one way. Every other weekend for a few years.

Another is 2 hours away andI regularly hunt south carolina 3 hours away.

It's all in how important is to you!
PBS Life Member
Member 1K LLC

"If you are twenty and aren't liberal you don't have a heart...if you're forty and not conservative you don't have a brain".....Winston Churchill

Offline joe skipp

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: April 07, 2009, 12:08:00 PM »
My hunting land in CT is 1 hour away and New Jersey is roughly 75 minutes from home. I also have one area closer to NYC thats 90 minutes from here. I've been fortunate to have great hunting and fishing close to home.
"Neal...is this heaven?" "No Piute but we are dam close". Top of the Mtn in Medicine Bow Nat Forest.

Offline Jeremy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: April 07, 2009, 12:09:00 PM »
Since it's only 40 acres I'd shy away from a wall tent with a wood stove, but that's just me.  You don't want to push the deer off onto adjacent lots with the smoke.

I'd go with a good 4 season tent and warm sleeping bag.  The lack of good ventilation in the van could make your nights feel colder than they need to be.  Sounds counterintuitive, doesn't it?  :)
>>>-TGMM Family Of The Bow-->
CT CE/FS Chief Instructor
"Death is not the greatest loss in life.  The greatest loss is what dies inside us while we live." - Norman Cousins

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©