3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: How far would you go to hunt??  (Read 1203 times)

Offline huntingwolf

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: How far would you go to hunt??
« Reply #20 on: April 07, 2009, 12:23:00 PM »
check out Cabelas under outfitters tents. I have a alaknak tent that I can set up in 20 minutes by myself.  you can buy outfitter stoves for these tent and they are good for all seasons. I love mine

Offline Plumber

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: April 07, 2009, 12:23:00 PM »
I go 2 hrs no big deal .those canvas tents you all were talking about .they are great. I saw one with a wood burning stove in it.It had some stainless wall plate built into the tentwall.It also had a little holding tank that would hold 2-3 gallon of water that hung on the side of the stove for coffee or soup or just a good warm face warsh in the morning.Isaw this tent at a shoot an got the info. but now I cant find it to save my butt.Ido remember the guy saying they start at about 800. an go to 1200. depending on the size.

Offline MI_Bowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: April 07, 2009, 12:32:00 PM »
My cabin where I do 90% of my hunting is a 6 hour drive from my house.    It makes it hard to do just a weekend hunt;  I've done it but it's a lot of driving.
"Failure is an attitude, not an outcome."  -Harvey Mackay

:archer:               MikeD.

Online cacciatore

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: April 07, 2009, 12:47:00 PM »
11,000 miles by plane plus 5 hrs by car to my elk camp,with a couple of days in the middle for get prepared.Felix
1993 PBS Regular
Compton
CBA
CSTAS

Offline Bill Turner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: April 07, 2009, 01:03:00 PM »
I hunt on public land in Oklahoma about 2.5 hours from home(165 miles). Like to stay within three hours. Definitely recommend a good tent(at least 10x10) and big mans cot and pad. My heater of choice is the large two burner Big Buddy by Mr. Heater. Works great in my tent. If you stay in your truck, the smaller Big Buddy should be fine. By the way, these heaters are equipped with auto shut off devices but I would still use them in a well vented area. All of the above can be purchased at Cabela's or other outdoor shops.

Offline saltwatertom

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: April 07, 2009, 01:46:00 PM »
Here in Alaska we fly 6 to 8 hours some times to get to wher we hunt (small personal plane)

Hey try a Honda 2000 generator w electric heat to keep warm and for lights. One of those will run about all night on low power, is quite and does'nt use much gas. Pretty handy all around, you can even charge the truck batery with it if you need to.
"There is always luck about, for those willing to look for it"

Offline sendero25

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: April 07, 2009, 02:39:00 PM »
If you go for the wall tent or other large tent, try a Mr Buddy portable propane heater.
I use two in my cabin which is only 10x15 (150 sq. ft.)
They have a low oxygen sensor and are rated safe for indoor use. They also shut off if they are tipped or picked up.
I've used two of them in the cabin for two winters and have never had a safety issue with them. I think they would be just fine in a tent.
You can get them from basspro, cabelas, even wally world around here.  

John
"I'm not very smart but I can lift heavy things"

"I'm not as smart as I look"

quotes by my good friend Clay Miller from Valentine, TX

Offline Red Beastmaster

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: April 07, 2009, 04:51:00 PM »
If pressed for time I can hunt for free only 200yd from my back door. Most of my after work hunts are 10min drive.
There is no great fun, satisfaction, or joy derived from doing something that's easy.  Coach John Wooden

Offline Hattrick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: April 07, 2009, 04:55:00 PM »
3hrs about 15-20 times a year
Bull

Offline Benny Nganabbarru

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: April 07, 2009, 06:40:00 PM »
I've driven three days, fourteen hours per day, to access goats, camels, horses, donkeys, rabbits.
TGMM - Family of the Bow

Offline jcar315

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: April 07, 2009, 06:53:00 PM »
My hunting partner and I own 53+/- acres about 1.75 hours door to door. Didn't go up too much this past year (about 5 or 6 times) usually spend at least 2 days there each time up. We had a "cabin" put in place right after we bought the place (the cabin is one of those "sheds" they sell along side the road...but we had it built out into a cabin) and it works great! Placement was key but with us not being there too much the deer get use to us not being there and it never fails when we are there deer are always around the cabin. Easy to heat and great sleeping.
Proud Dad to two awesome Kids and a very passionate pig hunter.

Right handed but left eye dominant.

Proud to be a Native TEXAN!!!!!

"TGMM  Family of the Bow"

Offline upatree

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: April 07, 2009, 07:50:00 PM »
2 hrs to my camp in Mississippi.  I do most of my hunting there.

13 hrs to our lease in Mizzou.  Can't wait to go there!!!
Treat others as you would want to be treated.

Offline gregg dudley

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: April 07, 2009, 08:08:00 PM »
It is 5 hours one way to either of two leases in Ga.  We do it dang near every weekend from mid October to mid January.  Try to make them 3 day weekends whenever possible.  I love those Books on Tape!   :thumbsup:    :thumbsup:
MOLON LABE

Traditional Bowhunters Of Florida
Come shoot with us!

Offline Earl E. Nov...mber

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: April 07, 2009, 11:02:00 PM »
I'll quit complaining about my 1 1/2 hour drive.
I just picked up a really nice 1987 Scamp 13 footer. Small and cozy but tight, off the ground, rodent free and lockable. Hard to find a good one for a decent price, and given the option I'd go for the 16 footer.
Many have died for my freedom.
One has died for my soul.

Offline JEFF B

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: April 07, 2009, 11:36:00 PM »
well mmmmmm let me see the most distance  i have been hunting would have to be the usa yup thats right other wise it is a 1/2 hr drive to where i hunt.  :biglaugh:
'' sometimes i wake up Grumpy;
other times i let her sleep"

TGMM FAMILY OF THE BOW

Offline nkw880

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: April 07, 2009, 11:41:00 PM »
my dad brother and uncles and myself drive 3 hours to our 238 acres lease in southern ohio its awesome even though my brother and i are the only trad shooters we go down almolst every weekend during the fall and spring to hunt deer squirells mushrooms and stump shoot to me its worth it even though we hunt around a hundred acres up where we live but it still is nice
martin hunter 62" 55#
74 Kodiak Magnum 52" 45#
Tomahawk SS 64" 57#

Offline Mo. Huntin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: April 08, 2009, 12:24:00 AM »
I don't know how cold it could get but what about a good sleeping bag and some hot hand packs and dress warm especially your feet and where a stocking cap and just sleep in the van.  Don't those hot hands packs last like a long time. I am a tite wad.  Make sure you guys sleep face to feet so the #$%^$#% does not accidentaly think you are his wife in his sleep and try to snuggle you.  That happened to a buddy of mine.

Offline Mo. Huntin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: April 08, 2009, 12:25:00 AM »
I was not there.

Offline Don Stokes

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: April 08, 2009, 07:46:00 AM »
I can hunt by walking out the back door, but for better hunting I drive 9 hours, MS to MO. Headed that way in a couple of weeks for turkeys and mushrooms. Mo Huntin, I hunt within a half-hour's drive from Nevada, north of Sheldon. We lease land and hunt Conservation land too.
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.- Ben Franklin

Offline Ray Hammond

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: April 08, 2009, 08:14:00 AM »
256 miles each way to hog deer and turkey camp

Have driven 3000 miles to bear hunt 5000 to elk hunt and 4000 to caribou hunt

All the way to the place where they have critters I want to hunt!
“Courageous, untroubled, mocking and violent-that is what Wisdom wants us to be. Wisdom is a woman, and loves only a warrior.” - Friedrich Nietzsche

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©