3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: 24SRTX Memories  (Read 452 times)

Offline W. H. Bill Fuller

• Trad Bowhunter
24SRTX Memories
« on: April 07, 2009, 08:10:00 PM »
Spring cleaning today, pulled out my old 24SRTX size 1920 arrow from the 60's.  It was one of a dozen that were the first aluminums I ever bought.  It is dinged up and has two slight bends in it so I took it out and compared it to my new 2018's.  Low and behold, it shot better than the new ones.  The memories were great as I took a little step back in time.  Think I'll hang that arrow up just so I can see it, it deserves a place in the sun.  Have a great spring everyone.
Bow shootin' 51 years & still counting.
MT Bowhunters Assoc. Life Member

Offline SHOOTO8S

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: 24SRTX Memories
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2009, 08:31:00 PM »
I remember getting black all over my hands from pulling them!
2004 IBO World Champion

Offline ksbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2009, 09:02:00 PM »
As I remember they were easy to bend, kind of a soft alloy.  Ben
I would've taken better care of myself,if I'd known I was gonna live this long!

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2009, 11:24:00 PM »
Yes, I remember that also guys.  A few years ago I found an old one in the area where I hunt elk, I'm sure it had been there since about '69.  I wondered how those guys had done on the elk hunting way back then when I was just starting to bow hunt for deer in high school.  Nice looking bow cases Rod.

Offline sweet old bill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2009, 06:06:00 AM »
The first I also shot in NFAA with a browning 70 inch recurve in 1816 size... but they sure looked good to me when I got them, twqo yellow feathers, and a black cock feather, and was crested in black and yellow as well..all for a full $22 bucks. I use to put auto wax on the shaft to make them shine and come out of the bales on the course...I went to my first NFAA shoot and a perfect score was 560, I shot a grand total of 138, was happy as I came back with the same amount of arrows I started with...Was shooting out of cub run archers in Manassas Va, with a shooting buddy called Jim Bond 007....those were the days, in your 20's, start a family, just purchased my first house. I had a grand new VW bug that I paid less than 2000 dollars for...
you should see how I use to shoot
Sand dune archers Myrtle beach SC
Senior archers of Oneonta NY

Offline Rob DiStefano

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
    • Cavalier Pickups
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2009, 07:16:00 AM »
ah yes. memories - 24srtx, arguably the worst shaft material ever perpetrated on archers and bowhunting.  yuk!  even microflite glass was better in the field than that alum junk!
IAM ~ The only government I trust is my .45-70 ... and my 1911.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2009, 01:56:00 PM »
Maybe so Rob, but it was the first alum for me and it shot tons better the the cedars i was using at the time, and the first is sometimes the best.  I loved the micro flites also even though they were kinda like shooting a broomstick!

Offline bohuntr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2009, 02:55:00 PM »
Heckuva a nice bull there Bill! I would love to hear the story on that bad boy!!!
To me, the ultimate challenge in bowhunting is not how far away you can succesfully make a killing shot but rather how close you can get to the animal before shooting.

Offline Rob DiStefano

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
    • Cavalier Pickups
« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2009, 04:46:00 PM »
Originally posted by W. H. Bill Fuller:
Maybe so Rob, but it was the first alum for me and it shot tons better the the cedars i was using at the time, and the first is sometimes the best.  I loved the micro flites also even though they were kinda like shooting a broomstick!
in all if the above i'll heartily agree, bill!
IAM ~ The only government I trust is my .45-70 ... and my 1911.

Offline joe skipp

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2009, 05:19:00 PM »
24XRTS...remember them well...I couldn't afford them! I was buying my arrows from Kittredge Bow Hut and I settled for shooting Forgewood Battleshafts.
Which by the way I shot for 8 yrs....way tougher than the aluminum.

It does bring back memories though of the late 60's and the "Golden Years" on bowhunting. Microfiltes, MJ Log Fiberglass, Gordon Glashafts....all good BUT the elite bowhunters in Archery World or Bow&Arrow Magazines shot the 24XRTS....Cool thread.......
"Neal...is this heaven?" "No Piute but we are dam close". Top of the Mtn in Medicine Bow Nat Forest.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©