3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Headed to Ray Hammonds  (Read 3566 times)

Offline Don Batten

• SRBZ
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Headed to Ray Hammonds
« Reply #40 on: April 09, 2009, 05:27:00 PM »
My dad always said"there's no quick way to somewhere thats a long ways away" and estill is a long ways from anywhere. Hope you don't come through there during rush hour. Don
"The older I get, the better I was" Byron Fergenson.

Online Tajue17

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #41 on: April 09, 2009, 07:07:00 PM »
Thanks Ray..  

Rush hr?  I wait 1.5 hrs in traffic every day to drive 18 miles,,, Rush hour means kick back and turn up the radio and relax...
"Us vs Them"

Offline RC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #42 on: April 09, 2009, 11:48:00 PM »
Good hunting guys and in case you don`t know Turkeys got no where to be...patience is the key.For me that`ll last till I hear a hog squeel.

Tajue17, Rush hour around here is when you pass three or four cars on the way to work.RC

Online Tajue17

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #43 on: April 13, 2009, 07:46:00 AM »
any updates?
"Us vs Them"

Offline pdk25

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #44 on: April 13, 2009, 09:17:00 AM »
Yeah.  Let us know how it went, please.

Offline Molson

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #45 on: April 13, 2009, 04:58:00 PM »
Come on fellas... It's story time!

Hey Pat we're down to about three weeks now!  Hog Heaven II... The RRREEETTTVENGE!!!!!!!
"The old ways will work in the future, but the new ways have never worked in the past."

Offline Red Boar

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #46 on: April 13, 2009, 05:18:00 PM »
Yeah....would love to hear the stories and see some pics.    :readit:    ;)
Treadway "Black Swamp"
Super Shrew
'62 Kodiak Magnum

Offline Ray Hammond

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #47 on: April 13, 2009, 07:49:00 PM »
20 inches of rain in 10 days, high wind, a cold front, a full moon, a lot of turkey eggs under water- last week we had snow and 28 degree weather..this weekend rained all night Friday night with lightning and tornadoes, then Saturday was windy as all get out, Sunday a little better.

I'll leave the story telling to the boys...but I think Beachie just got home, and I know Jon drove all night to get home this morning...I think Bill and his buddy Sam stopped along the way, and I believe Ron Sharpster went to visit Ed Ashby...so it might be tomorrow before anyone gets on here.
“Courageous, untroubled, mocking and violent-that is what Wisdom wants us to be. Wisdom is a woman, and loves only a warrior.” - Friedrich Nietzsche

Offline pdk25

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #48 on: April 13, 2009, 11:41:00 PM »
Man, that's too bad about the weather.  I know I keep telling people to save some for me, but that's ridiculous.

Online Tajue17

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #49 on: April 14, 2009, 10:27:00 AM »
Oh man whats the weather outlook for this weekend coming up,, I did pack a rainsuit.  can you hunt those hogs & turkeys in the rain down there?

also Ray I will call you later, wondering if you heard from the NH guy because I can't get in touch with him?
"Us vs Them"

Offline Ray Hammond

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #50 on: April 14, 2009, 10:43:00 AM »
weather is going to be perfect this weekend with sunny skies and temps in the 70's. Haven't heard from anyone, bud.
“Courageous, untroubled, mocking and violent-that is what Wisdom wants us to be. Wisdom is a woman, and loves only a warrior.” - Friedrich Nietzsche

Offline zipper bowss

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #51 on: April 14, 2009, 07:48:00 PM »
Dont let our experience last weekend worry  you.The pigs and turkeys are there.We had a tough hunt,but I still had a GREAT time and will be back.There was hog sign all over the place.The pigs were in the thickest stuff you could find, where it was very tough to see them let alone get a  shot.I know I said it before,but I realy enjoyed meeting everyone!Thanks for a great hunt!
Bill

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #52 on: April 14, 2009, 08:59:00 PM »
Yeah...I hope you all go back...what a bummer weekend weather wise for sure.  We got trees down all over town...and I lucked out this time.
Tradbowhunting Video Store - https://digitalstore.tradgang.com/

Tradgang Bowhunting Merchandise - https://tradgang.creator-spring.com/?

Tradgang DVD - https://www.tradgang.com/tgstore/index.html

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

'An anchor point is not a destination, its  an evolution to conclusion'

Offline Ray Hammond

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #53 on: April 14, 2009, 09:38:00 PM »
I had a guy booked for this coming weekend have to bail....there's two slots left...they're calling for sunny conditions in the low and mid 70's all weekend...hens should be on the nest..the two guys who are booked are gonna kill the snot out of 'em!!!

Offline Sharpster

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #54 on: April 15, 2009, 08:02:00 AM »
The best time I've had in years!!!!

Bad weather...? I didn't think it was all that bad. I was able to hunt with a fairly steady crosswind most of friday afternoon. The leaves and ground were a bit crunchy in the area I was hunting though. I did see one hog come running into the woods from the road but he was a couple hundred yards out and never slowed down as he blew passed me.  

After the overnight rain, I had perfect stalking conditions Saturday AM with damp, quiet ground, sun at my back and a steady wind in my face...just didn't cross paths with the piggies.

Sunday the wind  was bad. It blew every possible direction and didn't blow the same direction for more than a few seconds at a time.  

There was sign all over the place and though I didn't get a shot, I think I heard that both Norb and John may have had some close encounters...?   :goldtooth:  

Thank you very much Ray. Can't wait to get back down there. You say there's an opening or two this weekend huh...?

Ron
“We choose to do these things, not because they are easy, but because they are hard” — JFK

www.kmesharp.com

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline beachbowhunter

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #55 on: April 15, 2009, 11:58:00 AM »
I had a great time with Y'all!
Ishi was a Californian                   :cool:

Offline jonsimoneau

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #56 on: April 15, 2009, 09:26:00 PM »
Hey Guys, sorry I took so long, but I had ALOT of work to do when I got home.  We had a situation that made things a bit tough.  After all of the rain they had down there, the hogs began to feed on a bright green grass.  I'm not positive, but I'm fairly certain it was some type of a bullrush relative.  I'm going to look it up.  Anyway, this stuff was growing in some of the nastiest thickest stuff around, and all of the hogs were in there.  The only cover I have ever seen that was as thick as this was in Texas.  Luckily, I had some pruners, so I was able to get in there, and hunt, but the blackberry thorns made for tough stalking.  I kept getting near to hogs, but mostly jumping them, since I could not see too far in the thick cover they were holding in.  I jumped a bunch.  On Saturday, I finally got within range of a BIG sow.  I mean at first I thought it was Rosie O'Donnell.  She turned broadside at just under 20 yards.  I was just about to draw when out stepped a bunch of football sized piglets!  I had to decline the opportunity.  As I mentioned before, I don't know much about hog hunting, but I have been on 3 hunts.  I have NEVER been anywhere that had more sign that Rays place.  This place just gets no pressure and it's ALOT of land.  There are tons of them there, but we just had a little tough luck.  Camp was full of great guys.  No crybabys or anything!  Ray is an awesome guy.  He's not just a bowhunter.  He's a naturalist. He's smart.   He knows alot about the plants and fauna of the area, and I learned some pretty interesting things. He can also cook a steak that would make a vegetarian salivate.  Damn, that steak was good!  I'm going back for sure.  I MIGHT even take a little break from the whitetails in early October to try the hogs again down there, when they are out feeding in more open areas where you can get a stalk on them.  Lisa is pretty much in on that, so as long as we can swing it, we'll be back.  Bill Dugan is a really cool guy. For whatever reason, I was preoccupied, and never even tried out his bows, but man they are pretty and the quivers he makes are unreal.  He offered to let me stay at his house on the way home to break up the drive, which was very nice.  Guess he did not realize I was a bow theif, and that I would most likely make out with the goods!  Just kidding Bill! We had lots of laughs, drank some cold beers, and just had a great time.  Beachbowhunter brought down some fine California wine, but I'm more of a busch light kinda guy.  He's a great guy to be around with great conversation. The critters did not cooperate, but on a 3 day hunt you could not ask for  more.  I'm tellin ya they are there in staggering numbers.  I really like the country down there, but I gotta tell you southerners, I don't have the slightest idea how I would go about hunting deer down there.  I think that anyone who can kill an old buck routinely in the south really knows his stuff! I found a shed antler which was cool. Ray said it was from a 3.5 year old.  If it were an Illinois buck it would be a 1.5 year old.  But an old buck is an old buck no matter how big he is, and judging from the lack of pressure on the property, I'd wager there are a number of old bucks hanging out in there.  I've got some pretty good pics that I will post later on, including a big snake that I saw in the swamps.  Ron, from KME sharpeners was there, and he GAVE us all a knife sharpener for no reason other than he's just a nice guy! We have some good dudes in our ranks.  Turkey hunting.  There is another thing I don't know too much about.  My county in Illinois was the last to get re-stocked, and our season has only been open for 5 or 6 year.  Ray decided to go with me.  Probably he wanted to laugh at my lack of turkey hunting ability, but I was more than willing to have someone call for me.  My calling sounds like a blackbird getting hit by a lawnmower.  So we get out there and set up my blind and decoys. Birds are gobbling on the way out. In fact, that was more birds than I have ever heard in a season here.  Anyway, Ray sets up over to my right.  He's got a shotgun, and I've got an arrow with one of those new bullhead broadheads that magnus makes.  Like I could hit a turkey in the head!  Ray stars calling.  He's a Damn good caller.  A gobbler from like 250 yards away starts coming right to us. He gets out about 20 yards in front of Ray.  He has not seen my decoys yet, but is looking, and coming. I can just barely see him from time to time.  I'm ready.  I'm holding my mouth right and everything.  All of a sudden, his wife comes up from behind and yelps loud one time.  Ray told me that's turkey for "get your ass over here!" And he did!  He turned on a dime, folded up and went right to her!  At this point, I had no chance, and he was moving.  Ray took a shot at him but did not connect because he was pourin' it on trying to make his wife happy. Good times were had by all!  You guys that are going next...bring your earplugs....Ray "Got's the sleep apnea!"

Offline Steve O

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #57 on: April 15, 2009, 10:07:00 PM »
Jon,

I enjoyed your recap, but please, never and I mean NEVER, use that "woman" as hyperbole in your hunting story   :goldtooth:  

That had to be one big, fat, ugly, loud mouthed, filthy hog   :eek:

Offline pronghorn23

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #58 on: April 15, 2009, 10:09:00 PM »
Great read..

"I thought it was Rosie O'Donnell"...  :biglaugh:    :biglaugh:

Offline Ray Hammond

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #59 on: April 15, 2009, 10:40:00 PM »
and John left out the big ole boar in water up to his neck that he nearly got a shot at!

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©