3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: NW Nebraska information  (Read 411 times)

Offline Thueb

• Trad Bowhunter
NW Nebraska information
« on: April 08, 2009, 02:22:00 PM »
I’m contemplating a move to NW Nebraska, specifically the area around Chadron.  I have a job interview (over the phone) in a couple of days for a job at a uranium mine in that area and I’m curious about the bowhunting opportunities in western Nebraska.  From what I gather, there isn’t much public land, is gaining permission to hunt private property difficult?  Also what are the game populations (mulies and whitetails, antelope, elk?) like?  Could I expect hunting licenses every year?  What about upland birds, small game, and predators?  

Also does anyone know of any local archery clubs that sponsor outdoor shoots in the summer and weekly leagues in the winter?  Any information would help.

It’s a great job opportunity and if I’m fortunate enough to get the job it would be a major mistake not to take it, so any information about that area (the sand hills?) would be appreciated.  Thanks

Offline dan ferguson

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: NW Nebraska information
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2009, 03:20:00 PM »
I think there is quite abit of national and state ground availible around. I think if you do some homework alot of private could be possible. There is some great hunting in that part of the country. All the game you mentioned and throw turkeys in the mix.

Offline dan ferguson

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2009, 03:35:00 PM »
After I thought about it you have enough land to get lost never to be seen again. Oglala nat grasslands, Pine Ridge, Chadron State Park, You also but up against the badlands of S.D. Plenty game pilgrim.

Offline arrowflinger1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2009, 05:34:00 PM »
I love that area and go up there all the time! All the big game you mentioned and also some darn good sharptail hunting also. Not many pheasants right there but some close by. Also you arent far from what I think is the best antelope hunting in the country (within an hour) good luck!

Online swp

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2009, 08:56:00 PM »
Plenty of state and national land, plus more big game in WY and SD. I love that area! People are nice, Chadron has everything you need but with a small town feeling. The Niobrara River is close. My wife and I would like to retire there someday.
"People say you can't go back, its like when you get to the edge of a cliff and you take one more step forward or you do a 180 degree turn and take one more step forward. Which way are you going? Which one is progress?" Doug Tompkins

Offline fatman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2009, 10:47:00 PM »
Don't they have some wetlands/lakes up that way with bass and pike fishing?
I thought at one time they also had a bighorn sheep herd?
"Better to have that thing and not need it, than to need it and not have it"
Woodrow F. Call

Commitment is like bacon & eggs; the chicken is involved, but the pig is committed....

Online swp

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2009, 07:34:00 AM »
Bighorn sheep are supposed to be on Ft. Robinson and around the cliffs at Scottsbluff. Think the sandhills have all kinds of wetlands.
"People say you can't go back, its like when you get to the edge of a cliff and you take one more step forward or you do a 180 degree turn and take one more step forward. Which way are you going? Which one is progress?" Doug Tompkins

Offline Thueb

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2009, 10:26:00 AM »
Thanks for the information.  I'll let you know how the interview goes.  

If there are wetlands I may need to buy a shotgun and take up duck hunting...

Offline PSUBowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2009, 11:11:00 AM »
I hunted around Crawford last fall, which is about twenty miles west of Chadron. I love the area, there is plenty of public land to keep you busy. We saw mulies, whitetail, antelope, elk, and some bighorn sheep.

There were coyotes everywere, so that could give you some off season hunting. Plus, WY and SD are not far away, which could extend your season.

You are also allowed two antlered deer in NE.

Offline Wary Buck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2009, 12:29:00 PM »
There is not that much public ground in NE, with the exception of that part of the state where there is actually a pretty fair amount of it.  A good corner of the state to be in as well, as you are very close to excellent opportunities in SD and WY, and not too far from CO or MT.  

The bighorn sheep herd is for residents only (with occasional auction permits for others) but your chances of drawing are 1 in many thousand.

Chadron is a nice town and has a state college if that is something one would be interested in as well.  The fishing in that part of the state is largely underutilized.  

Over half of Nebraska's population resides in 3 of the 93 counties, and those are all back east.  Very quiet area out in NW part of the state.  You are closer to Rapid City or Cheyenne than any major NE city.
"Here's a picture of me when I was younger."
"Heck, every picture is of you when you were younger."
--from Again to Carthage, John L. Parker, Jr.

Offline ArrowAtomik

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: April 09, 2009, 09:55:00 PM »
Sounds like a win to me.  There are trad spirits in that ground... Fred Bear used to have an annual deer camp in this area.  The Niobrara was one of his favorite places.  I would think with a little socializing and you could get onto a fair amount of private ground too.

Offline joe ashton

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: April 09, 2009, 10:12:00 PM »
It's been my expereince that the locals are very nice and getting access to land in the NW will take some door knocking but very doable.
I believe Nb has a trad club too.

Joe
Joe Ashton,D.C.
 pronghorn long bow  54#
 black widow long bow 55#
 21 century long bow 55#
 big horn recurve  58#

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©