3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: headshots...  (Read 1256 times)

Offline swampbuck

• Trad Bowhunter
headshots...
« on: April 08, 2009, 08:20:00 PM »
...on turkeys

Whats your thoughts of intentionally going for the head shot with a normal BH not one of those intended for the head shot only.

dropping them on the spot or missing completely seems like a nice option just curious is all
Shoot straight and have FUN!!

Offline vermonster13

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: headshots...
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2009, 08:21:00 PM »
If you can make the shot, go for it!
TGMM Family of the Bow
For hunting to have a future, we must invest ourselves in future hunters.

Offline broketooth

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2009, 08:22:00 PM »
i dont know that would have to be one licky shot. the vitals area is small enough , don't you think? good luck with that if you do though
" you have done well to keep your hair when so many are after it"

Offline broketooth

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2009, 08:23:00 PM »
i meant lucky
" you have done well to keep your hair when so many are after it"

Offline Mo. Huntin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2009, 08:29:00 PM »
Turkeys can move their head so fast.  If I was going to try I would aim for the neck and look for a facing away or facing to shot that away you got all that spine and the head and if you are real low the vitals.

Offline swampbuck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2009, 08:37:00 PM »
I figured it would hafta be facing away and also know the vitals are small as it is

head shot needs to be within an inch lft/rt and maybe a tad more up/down

vitals needs to be within 2"??? maybe 3 at best but probably less

Guess I need to worry about getting the shot first LOL then where to put it.I've taken a few sm game critters with head shots I was just thinkin is all Thanx
Shoot straight and have FUN!!

Offline Hattrick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2009, 08:46:00 PM »
I haven`t bow hunted turkeys yet, but have thought a lot about it. To me i would think broadside at the wing butt would be best braking both wings an maybe the vitals,preventing flying away. i really would have a hard time puting my finger on  the vitals of a strutting turkey if someone would hold him still:) On a neck shot u would need to brake the the bone or hit the head dead center, a nick wont cut it...Well maybe cut it but won`t get ya a bird...Its alot of guys on here with bow turkey experience, i`m not one of them yet...Maybe i can answer from experience in a couple of weeks...
Bull

Offline Hattrick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2009, 08:50:00 PM »
I haven`t bow hunted turkeys yet, but have thought a lot about it. To me i would think broadside at the wing butt would be best braking both wings an maybe the vitals,preventing flying away. i really would have a hard time puting my finger on  the vitals of a strutting turkey if someone would hold him still:) On a neck shot u would need to brake the the bone or hit the head dead center, a nick wont cut it...Well maybe cut it but won`t get ya a bird...Its alot of guys on here with bow turkey experience, i`m not one of them yet...Maybe i can answer from experience in a couple of weeks...
Bull

Offline griz#1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2009, 09:29:00 PM »
I go for the high percentage shot. You can always fill the broadhead hole with extra stuffing.
If you cut up your wife's french leather purse to make a tab, does that make you a redneck?

Offline WESTBROOK

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2009, 09:43:00 PM »
If you think his head will still be there when the arrow gets there, their always moving their head, kinda like shooting at a chipmunk.

Eric

Offline Jeff Strubberg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2009, 11:41:00 PM »
Personally, I'm going to go with a head shot every time.  The result is either a dead bird flopping around, or a clean miss.  

I don't much care for trying to run down wounded turkey, or blood-trailing flying game.
"Teach him horsemanship and archery, and teach him to despise all lies"          -Herodotus

Offline GMMAT

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2009, 11:49:00 PM »
Never killed one with trad tackle, but I have with a compound.  

Even with the compound, I'd probably have as much luck herding cats as I would killing turkeys with head shots.

If you can anticipate where his head's gonna be.....and make that shot, though......I'll applaud your efforts.

Offline RightTrailWrongTime

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: April 09, 2009, 12:01:00 AM »
I have taken a few intentional head shots and they do move their heads quickly and often but it can be done....whether luck or skill my avatar photo shows 2 birds I shot several years ago, the first a six yard head shot- that bird flopped around all the way out to 33 yards where I nailed his buddy that was jumpin up and down on top of him, peckin at him etc... I didn't know it was that far until I went to pick the first bird up turned around and shot the blind with the rangefinder. Turns out I hit the first one just under the base of the head across the throat- still counts! The other head shots all missed but I'd try again, especially at close range. I'll take luck any day.
ONLY IN THE WOODS AND FIELDS DO I FEEL ALIVE, LIKE A HUNTER FROM TIMES PAST, ALTHOUGH THE HISS OF MY ARROW GOES FORTH, I AM TAKEN BACK, IT IS MY ESCAPE...

Offline Chuck Hoopes

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: April 09, 2009, 12:11:00 AM »
If you can hit a quarter (that is slightly moving in an unpredictable manner) at 10yards, 75% of the time, then by all means -go for it.  Otherwise, get real.  The sensible way to shoot a turkey is dead on from the rear.  This way arrow passes thru MORE Turkey and increases the odds greatly of hitting something vital, or a paralzing spine hit-- and if you should shoot high, maybe you'll get that head shot anyway.  This is just the most basic hunting common sense.  If you just choose to try head shots, that's fine--  your either gonna get clean misses, or clean kills--nothing wrong w/ either of those.  If taking a turkey is something you really want to do-- forget the head shot approach for now--

Offline elkbreath

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: April 09, 2009, 01:31:00 AM »
IMO take out the legs/hips.  A bird is no good without them  shoot for right where they hit the body.  ITs a bigger target and anything in the area will put the bird down. they can't run or fly without legs.
77# @ 29.5 r/d longbow homer
80# @ 29.5 GN super Ghost

Offline unclewhit

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: April 09, 2009, 01:39:00 AM »
If your idea of success is in the challenge and not the harvest, then I'd say go for the head shot, like you said you'll either have a dead bird or a clean miss. If you do make the head shot, more power to ya, rock on.
unclewhit
Bob lee signature series
Schafer Silvertip
Howard Hill "Tembo"

Offline BobT

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: April 09, 2009, 02:09:00 AM »
The only turkey I ever shot at with a bow was a head shot. It was Missouri's first archery turkey season and I didn't really think much about it I just took the shot and centered his head. I was using a 50 lb. Bear 76er and Bear glass arrows with a RazorHead. My best recollection is that I aimed for his eyeball. I don't think I would try it again, in fact I heard so many stories of unrecovered birds those first couple of years that I just decided to use a shotgun. I'm about to get my nerve up again though!
Bob

It's better to shoot for the moon and hit the fence post than to shoot for the fence post and hit the ground!

Offline BlacktailBowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: April 09, 2009, 02:17:00 AM »
If I were going to do head shots, I would use one of the Bullheads by Magnus.

Otherwise, I will be looking for a straight away or quartering away shot.

Good luck,

Paul
Join a credible hunting organization, participate in it, and take a kid hunting. Member: U.S. Sportsmen's Alliance, NWTF, Oregon Hunter's Assn., Oregon Bow Hunters and  Oregon Foundation for Blacktailed Deer.

Offline vtmtnman

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: April 09, 2009, 05:14:00 AM »
Originally posted by BlacktailBowhunter:
If I were going to do head shots, I would use one of the Bullheads by Magnus.

Otherwise, I will be looking for a straight away or quartering away shot.

Good luck,

Paul
Exactly..  ;)
>>>>--TGMM family of the bow--->

Offline hunt it

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: April 09, 2009, 07:19:00 AM »
If you like tag soup go for it! It's hard enough to hit them in the head with one of those big a$$ head slicen deals never mind a reg broadhead. Dang birds don't stay still for very long at any time. Use a big broadhead and body shoot em far as i'm concerned. Good luck.
hunt it

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©