3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: headshots...  (Read 1254 times)

Offline woodchucker

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: headshots...
« Reply #20 on: April 09, 2009, 08:20:00 AM »
Aim Small..... Miss Small.....   :thumbsup:
I only shoot WOOD arrows... My kid makes them, fast as I can break them!

There is a fine line between Hunting, & Sitting there looking Stupid...

May The Great Spirit Guide Your Arrows..... Happy Hunting!!!

Offline woodchucker

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: April 09, 2009, 08:24:00 AM »
Aim Small..... Miss Small.....   :thumbsup:

Offline woodchucker

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: April 09, 2009, 08:26:00 AM »
Oops.....   :confused:

Offline wollelybugger

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: April 09, 2009, 08:41:00 AM »
When they are strutin their head is tucked into their chest, the only time their head is out is when they are on alert. Like was said before their head is moving 360 degrees and up and down. If you want a shot aim at the base of the neck, will kill just as quick. Hit low and you might spine him.

Offline maineac

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: April 09, 2009, 08:50:00 AM »
I have been thinking of using either the bullheads or quilotine.  I have had to track a couple of turkeys with my dogs for archers who were a little off.  One of them is the best shot I know.  I figure a clean miss, or headless turkey is what I will try for.
The season gave him perfect mornings, hunter's moons and fields of freedom found only by walking them with a predator's stride.
                                                              Robert Holthouser

Offline Ray Hammond

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: April 09, 2009, 08:55:00 AM »
shoot turkeys in the back, walking away from you.
The spine is the key to breaking a bird down and him not flying off anywhere. He's also not looking at you, becaue you are in his vision "dead zone" . George has a point about the legs, I did that once unintentionally shooting low on a broadside shot, which I will no longer take.

Just one man's opinion..but I have killed a few turkeys with my bow.
“Courageous, untroubled, mocking and violent-that is what Wisdom wants us to be. Wisdom is a woman, and loves only a warrior.” - Friedrich Nietzsche

Offline bluegrassbowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: April 09, 2009, 09:24:00 AM »
I don't mean no disrespect to anybody but the miss clean or kill em dead is a myth when shooting at the head with the big head chopping broadheads or a any kind of broadhead.There's always the possibility of an arrow going somewere other than it's intended target(example-hit the window on the blind etc...)I could elaborate on this but my fingers would get tired of typing....
"Life,Liberty & the pursue of deer & turkeys."

Offline Guru

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: April 09, 2009, 09:27:00 AM »
Tom, I know you've spent time around turkey's.....so you know that a turkey's head isn't "always moving"....as a matter of fact, when they are keyed in and close to a deke, a lot of times they stand stone still...

I've seen ya shoot, and I think with your shooting ability, a head shot is very doable! Especially with a wide decapitation style head..

I've been toying with it for the last couple years, but can't bring myself to try......even though I know I can....

Breaking them down, one way or another, is definitively the key to success.....
Curt } >>--->   

"I love you Daddy".......My son Cade while stump shooting  3/19/06

Offline Guru

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: April 09, 2009, 09:28:00 AM »
very good point Mark...that's one of the reasons I've hesitated trying one of those.....
Curt } >>--->   

Offline swampbuck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: April 09, 2009, 09:37:00 AM »
trouble with the heads designed for that shot is they only weigh 125 gr's and while I have a set of lite arrows that'll shoot that size head I kinda like the heavy set up with 250+ up front

I guess I'll hafta see what the moment brings Thanks again guys
Shoot straight and have FUN!!

Offline Guru

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: April 09, 2009, 09:57:00 AM »
Tom get some 100gr. inserts bud....that'll get ya close...and I'm sure you if anyone could make up something to make up some more weight....
Curt } >>--->   

Offline swampbuck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: April 09, 2009, 10:16:00 AM »
One more thing my BH's shoot right thru the netting without a hitch I'm thinking those other heads won't go thru the netting on my blind so nicely    :banghead:    :biglaugh:

Offline maineac

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: April 09, 2009, 10:35:00 AM »
From what I understand of turkeys and blinds, you don't need the netting like you do with deer.  They don't seem bothered by the black space in the blind.  I know someone who has had to stand up to shoot at a tom that was strutting ten feet from a blind with no window nets.
The season gave him perfect mornings, hunter's moons and fields of freedom found only by walking them with a predator's stride.
                                                              Robert Holthouser

Offline ishiwannabe

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: April 09, 2009, 10:42:00 AM »
I have been thinking along the same lines Tom...

I was considering the base of the neck...right where the feathers and skin meet. Atleast that area is a little more still...
"I lost arrows and didnt even shoot at a rabbit" Charlie after the Island of Trees.
                         -Jamie

Offline bluegrassbowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: April 09, 2009, 10:43:00 AM »
Originally posted by swampbuck:
One more thing my BH's shoot right thru the netting without a hitch I'm thinking those other heads won't go thru the netting on my blind so nicely     :banghead:      :biglaugh:  
Yeah I know what ya mean,the only way to find out is to try....it made it through but it didn't fly to good..lol..

"Life,Liberty & the pursue of deer & turkeys."

Offline Talondale

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: April 09, 2009, 10:46:00 AM »
Another thing to consider that a head shot doesn't really allow for a string tracker in case it's not an insta-kill.  Just a thought.

Offline Onehair

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: April 09, 2009, 11:10:00 AM »
I'm more likely to hit if the turkey is moving his head considering he could turn my obvious miss into a hit. I have taken a couple of birds with my bow and don't like the body shot because both times I had a lot of meat damage with stomach matter throughout the breast.

Offline swampbuck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: April 09, 2009, 11:12:00 AM »
ofcourse I'd hafta try the shoot thru myself like I have already but I'd sooner take the widows out than try the oversized turkey heads

Want a string tracker but don't currently have one and I don't see them at 3 rivers.

Genrally I hunt with a partner who use's a louder weapon than I do so I do most of the time have back up and thankfully first crack

Offline Wary Buck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: April 09, 2009, 12:25:00 PM »
Lots of folks may not know this, but before the big turkey broadhead trend, a well-respected guy (Dick Turpin) in Nebraska Game and Parks Commission who also has helped with NBEP if I'm not mistaken...anyway, he promoted using hard rubber blunts for head shots on turkeys and got it legalized.  At first many, including myself, pooh-poohed this idea.  Eventually a large number of Nebraskans did just that.  The result, either a dead bird or an unhurt bird.  This has been perhaps 15-20 years ago, and I assume blunts are still legal.

The head/neck of a turkey in full strut are actually relatively steady, and when in the strut position probably not much smaller than the actual vital of the bird.  

I still aim for the body just above where the legs join it.  I know Nebraska is supposed to be turkey paradise, but I don't have that many where I specifically hunt.  If I did have tons (and thus tons of opportunities) I know I'd try the head shot, but probably with a broadhead.
"Here's a picture of me when I was younger."
"Heck, every picture is of you when you were younger."
--from Again to Carthage, John L. Parker, Jr.

Offline GMMAT

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: April 09, 2009, 12:36:00 PM »
One thing I haven't seen mentioned (as it relates to shooting through blind netting)....is the relationship of OUR arrows when they get to the netting.

Wouldn't the archer's paradox (from a past center cut bow) mean that OUR (v. an arrow shot from a compound bow) mean that they would be more out of line?  Wouldn't OUR arrows be impacting at more of an angle?

I agree with some of the others.  I've never felt the need to put the netting down in my DB with turkeys.  They seem to disregard that it isn't there and the black holes don't seem to bother them, at all.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©