3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Spine of a fiberglass fish arrow?  (Read 828 times)

Offline James Wrenn

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Spine of a fiberglass fish arrow?
« Reply #20 on: April 12, 2009, 08:12:00 AM »
If regular arrows are too stiff it would be a simple matter to make your own and leave them longer.As said earlier just buy the 5/15th fiberglass rods that go on driveways and leave them as long as you need.Most bowfishers do not use selfbows or bows not cut to center and have more to worry about arrows being too weak with heavy fish points instead of having arrows spined too heavy.If shooting such a bow you could also just use a hardwood shaft like a 5/16th hickory instead of fiberglass.
....Quality deer management means shooting them before they get tough....

Offline owlbait

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: April 12, 2009, 08:51:00 AM »
Thanks Mark for ALL the great bowfishing products that are available. I shoot and have shot a lot of fish and find I can get decent arrow flight just by working on my rest and arrow length or changing points. I'm not shooting 3D or spots and my shots are short so perfectly spined arrows don't concern me or the majority of bowfishers. We want tough, durable equipment at a decent price.If there is a market out there some entrepeneur will fill the niche.
Advice from The Buck:"Only little girls shoot spikers!"

Offline Jim Picarelli

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: April 12, 2009, 10:24:00 AM »
I spined one of my fiberglass shafts cut to 28.5" and it came out around 93# and weighs a bit over 1000gr.With a muzzy on the end,it totals 1320gr
67" Hill Tembo, 50@27
67" Hill Half Breed, 53@27
66" Hill Redman, 48@27
66" Hill Cheetah, 55@27
66" Hill Big Five, 50@27

Offline Bakes168

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: April 12, 2009, 04:09:00 PM »
If it's too stiff couldn't you just sand the middle down a bit?
"A hunt based only on trophies taken falls short of what the ultimate goal should be...time to commune with your inner soul as you share the outdoors with the birds, animals, and fish that live there"
-Fred Bear

James 2:19-20

USMC Infantry

Offline Arwin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: April 12, 2009, 07:57:00 PM »
93-100# spine!!! Whoa, thats stiffer than I thought.  Even with regular carbon hunting shafts, you can load up the front to 350 grains and not need that heavy of a spine.

Thanks for your answer Mark. Michele Eichler said she would forward my question to you and hopefully the demand for specfic spined fish arrows comes around. It's understandable that it takes quite a bit of capital to make things happen.

In the mean time I will try to find ways to improve my set-up, I have read a few great ideas that I'm going to try. As I said, I have taken quite a few fish with whats out there now, but throwing around ideas and brainstorming is how we progress. I love this sort of thing, putting all our heads together.  :campfire:
Just one more step please!

Some dude with a stick and string chasing things.

Offline geno

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: July 31, 2009, 11:26:00 AM »
Originally posted by Charlie Lamb:
Dick... I think most guys leave their fishing arrows full length for no good reason in particular. (perhaps because without a taper "grinder" it's tough to retaper solid fiberglass.)

Solid fiberglass fishing arrows are notoriously weak in spine and with my heavier bows and longer draw, I've always cut them down in length to improve spine.

You won't lose enough weight to matter... the dang thing still won't float.       ;)  
[/QUOTE

This doesn't jive with what was stated above. Shot my first fishing arrow this am. Shoots like crap from a 45# small shelf LB.

Charlie, if you catch this can you clear it up please.How heavy are you shooting with you fishing bow?   Thanks
G
"Learning how to shoot a bow is easy if you learn the right way"..Howard Hill

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©