3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Three under shooters -  (Read 869 times)

Offline wihill

• Trad Bowhunter
Three under shooters -
« on: April 08, 2009, 11:04:00 PM »
After many weeks of frustration, I decided to try out three under for my release.  The results have been outstanding, and right now confidence is soaring.

I've noticed that a few of my bows are noticably louder than if I was shooting split fingered.  Tiller the factor?  I'm wondering if my nock height needs to be raised up also - most of my nocks are at .5" above zero.

Any help on this change over would be greatly appreciated.  

Dare I say I actually removed my last remaining sight from my recurve - it was in the way while looking at my spot.    :D    Man this trad stuff just gets better and better...

Thanks gang.
Support the sport!

Offline woodchucker

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Three under shooters -
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2009, 11:09:00 PM »
5/8" to 3/4" above zero should get you quieted right down.   :thumbsup:
I only shoot WOOD arrows... My kid makes them, fast as I can break them!

There is a fine line between Hunting, & Sitting there looking Stupid...

May The Great Spirit Guide Your Arrows..... Happy Hunting!!!

Offline Manitoba Stickflinger

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2009, 11:25:00 PM »
I too have recently switched and have done everything to quiet down my bows. I have them all bare shaft and paper tuned with one being over an inch and a quarter above zero in order to shoot properly. One of my recurves (Mamba) was easy and is quiet but the others just keep YELLING at me when I shoot. The longbows are the loudest of the bunch, to the point that I'm considering not hunting with them. Please help!!!

Offline knobby

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2009, 11:42:00 PM »
Most bows do tend to be a little louder with three-under. Maybe it's the change in tiller, but I don't know for sure. Generally, the nock set needs to be higher. If using a recurve, put a strip of moleskin between the string/limb contact area. Don't be afraid to use enough string silencers, either. And using a heavy enough arrow always helps. I've been shooting three-under for decades, and have always been able to get my bows silenced. In theory, a longbow should be quieter than a recurve. Don't give up on the three-under, 'cause it can really help your accuracy. I recommend it to anyone having a problem with accuracy...it usually helps them very quickly. Good luck!

Offline pumatrax

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2009, 12:02:00 AM »
I've never had a bow, recurve or longbow that was absolutely silent...three under does seem a bit louder ; but DOES it make a difference in a hunting situation, in my opinion it doesn't..within the confines of traditional bow distance,ANY game animal will hear the shot ....three under or split finger

Offline fido dog

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2009, 12:24:00 AM »
Aww....JEEZE!?!?

Y'all want to here my "Newbieness" about 3 under?? You'll be on the floor laughing!   :biglaugh:
A politician who acts foolishly may NOT be acting!

Offline Onehair

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2009, 11:16:00 AM »
The noise is the one thing about 3under that keeps me switching back to split. However a couple of months ago I made Dacron strings for my bows and the 3under noise is now very tolerable.

Online frassettor

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2009, 12:48:00 PM »
"Everything's fine,just fine". Dad

Offline longbowben

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2009, 12:55:00 PM »
Use the hush puppies,I have no noise dead quiet.
54" Hoots 57@28
60" MOAB 60@28
Gold tip, 160gr Snuffer
TGMM Family of the Bow
USAF 90-96 69TH Bomb Squadron

Offline NorthernCaliforniaHunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2009, 01:45:00 PM »
Raise the nock, that should do it. I switched to three under and noticed significant improvement with my shot but it was louder until I moved the nock. Seems my arrows were slapping the rest somehow.
"...there are no words that can tell the hidden spirit of the wilderness, that can reveal its mystery, it's melancholy, and its charm." Theodore Roosevelt

Find me at ShareTheBounty

Offline Emmons

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: April 09, 2009, 04:09:00 PM »
I shoot both longbow and recurves with three under.  The biggest thing I found in keeping noise down and improved arrow flight was,installing a double nock point.  This was done per the recommendation of Bob Morrison for a bow I was having a lot of trouble tuning.  Worked like a charm, arrows tuning is simple now and the bow got quieter.

James

Offline Autumnarcher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: April 09, 2009, 08:59:00 PM »
I shoot 3 under, and while my nock pointsare slightly higher than if I shoot split, they are nowhere near 3/4" or more, and I havent found any noise problems. Funny thing is, if my nocvk-set slips up the string, then I get noise. Go figure.
...stood alone on a montaintop, starin out at a great divide, I could go east, I could go West, it was all up to me to decide, just then I saw a young hawk flyin and my soul began to rise......

Offline Chortdraw

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: April 09, 2009, 09:29:00 PM »
I shoot 3 under with hush puppies on both recurve and longbow. Have no problems with noise and the nock point is not very high. My shelf is only 3/4" above the center and sometimes a bit closer. I guess the bow design will have some baring on this? Maybe I am going deaf and don't notice it  :rolleyes:

Offline Manitoba Stickflinger

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: April 09, 2009, 09:47:00 PM »
What makes Hush puppies quieter than other silencers?? I understand the wrapping of the string with wool but am just questioning the Hush puppies themselves. BTW...Tried a double nock point with no luck.

Offline tj69

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: April 10, 2009, 05:22:00 AM »
I also shoot 3under. One of my bows is tillered for 3under and is absolutely quiet with normal nock point position. On the other bows I had to take the nock point to 3/4" over zero and I use some silencers, now they are also very quiet and shoot very well.
Bezaleel ILF riser + Border HEX6 limbs 50#@29"
Morrison XD riser + Border HEX6 limbs 51#@29"

Offline Al Dean

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: April 10, 2009, 06:45:00 AM »
I have a recurve and a longbow, both tillered 3 under.  Nock 3/8 but noise level loud just as any standard tiller.  Things I try for noise are (but they don't always work), raise brace height, size, type, and location of silencers, arrow weight and shooting glove.  A good quality deer skin glove seems to be the quietest for me.  Bottom line, I have no one solution.  Just have to tinker with many thing looking to quiet bow.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline wapitimike1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: April 10, 2009, 07:09:00 AM »
I would make sure you retune your bow. The switch will change arrow flight and tuning. I've shot 3 under for years and some limbs tiller and tune better then others. The bow built and tillered for 3 under seems to be dead quiet. Good luck

Offline twotimer

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: April 10, 2009, 07:22:00 AM »
i have shot 3under all my archery life.i have owned many bows that were tillered split-finger.string nock placement will take care of that problem,minor that it is.99 percent of the bows i have shot,string nock placement was around 9/16"-5/8s" above center.a higher brace will solve the noise problem most of the time,also moving the string silceners closer to the tip will break up the harmonics of the string.  :thumbsup:    :coffee:
'TGMM FAMILY of THE BOW"at 211 degrees water is hot.at 212 it boils and cause's steam,which can run a locomotive.is it worth that one extra ounce of effort to finish first,the difference between good and great?

Offline bentpole

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: April 10, 2009, 07:59:00 AM »
I have shot and owned a ton of bows.   :readit:   Most weren't tillered for three under. If needed I did raise the nock a bit. Never really had a problem. Just like twotimer says. Great information there!    :thumbsup:   I have found out over the years on a noisey bow to put on a set of string leeches like the wheely guys use. They go into the string [seperate it]. Not on it.I also notice a big differance in shooting wood arrows over aluminum and carbon.But that's another thread.   :biglaugh:

Offline Deadsmple

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: April 10, 2009, 09:53:00 AM »
I'm always intrigued by these threads. I had switched to 3 under about 12 yrs ago and never had to move my nock point, because of noise. There are always good suggestions for the noise problems but never an explanation as to why 3 under is noisier for some.
All praise is the Lords

"to get to heaven, turn right and stay straight"

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©