3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: South Texas Trail Cam Pics  (Read 918 times)

Offline Nakohe

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
South Texas Trail Cam Pics
« on: April 09, 2009, 11:28:00 AM »
You just never know what will show up on a trail cam.

Anyone know what that last one is?? Got me stumped
"Then Peter said unto them. Repent all of you and be baptized in the Name of Jesus for remission of sins and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost.
Acts 2:38

TGMM Family Of The Bow
Life Member T. B. O. T.
SGT. U.S.A.F. '72-'76
Life Member NRA

Offline DBerrard

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: South Texas Trail Cam Pics
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2009, 11:35:00 AM »
lol a monkey!
David

~Kanati Klassic~ 50@26"

Online Over&Under

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2009, 11:55:00 AM »
Looks like a big bobcat to me just by looking at the rump end, but not sure.

Great photos though!
“Elk (add hogs to the list) are not hard to hit....they're just easy to miss"          :)
TGMM

Offline DBerrard

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2009, 12:01:00 PM »
Doesnt it look like a japanese snow monkey to you?
It does to me but I guess I don't know  :D

Anyhow, South Texas has had snow monkeys living there since the early 70's so it could be...

and yeah, very cool photos.
David

~Kanati Klassic~ 50@26"

Offline Aeronut

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2009, 12:01:00 PM »
Looks kinda like a Coati Mundi.  Wish the picture was a little clearer.  Cool pictures.

http://www.desertusa.com/may97/du_coati2.html

Dennis

Offline T Sunstone

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2009, 12:23:00 PM »
Looks like a Jaquarundi to me.  Small head and long tail, but the tail you can't see in your picture.  I got a trail camera video of one in s. Texas a couple years ago.
Despite its name, the Jaguarundi, also known as the "Weasel Cat" or "Otter Cat", more closely resembles the Puma than the Jaguar!

The Jaguarundi is one of the few species of wild cat known to exist in North America. The Jaguarundi can be found in scattered areas in Central and South America, and are seen as far north as Texas, United States and parts of Florida. It is postulated that they are related to the Puma, being ancestral brothers to those majestic wild cats. The Jaguarundi hunts both during the day and night, though they are generally most active in the day. Its diet consists mostly of small birds and other small animals such as lizards and snakes. They heavily prefer birds, though, their leaping skills are quite useful when hunting birds. They like living in low elevations, usually near a wooded area or grasslands, where it can pounce easily find food. Thankfully they are not hunted widely for their fur and this protects them from one of the main dangers to many other exotic cats.

Jaguarundis grow to about 30 inches in length and have a tail which extends another 20 inches. They are small cats, and look a lot like otters - low bodies that run close to the ground, with stumpy little legs and sleek, small heads with little flat ears. They are usually a solid color and are known as being one of the only wild cats in existence that lacks stripes, spotting or other marking. They range from soft grey to chocolate brown. Jaguarundi kittens have a few scattered spots that are quickly lost during development.

The Jaguarundi is most common in Central America though it is seen as far south as Paraguay. The Jaguarundi is also not commonly found in the United States but it has been sighted living in parts of Texas, Arizona and Florida. Jaguarundis are listed as endangered by CITES.

Offline Ray Hammond

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2009, 03:20:00 PM »
jaguarundi I think as well.
“Courageous, untroubled, mocking and violent-that is what Wisdom wants us to be. Wisdom is a woman, and loves only a warrior.” - Friedrich Nietzsche

Offline carparcher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2009, 04:19:00 PM »
I got an email w/ those pics and there is one missing of some "travelers" filling up their water jugs in the middle of the night.  It's not just wild animals that have a tough life down there.  Pretty cool pics.  Kind of sad that those javelina can't reach the water!   :(

Offline bayoulongbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2009, 04:38:00 PM »
Monster Quest ...a chippacalya...may rome in that area!!!!  :scared:    :saywhat:    :thumbsup:
"If you're living your life as if there is no GOD, you had  better be right!"

Offline TxAg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2009, 04:43:00 PM »
it's a coati mundi. saw the pics clearer in another thread. like central america's version of the raccoon, only they diurnal instead of nocturnal

Offline Schultzy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: April 09, 2009, 06:08:00 PM »
Originally posted by carparcher:
I got an email w/ those pics and there is one missing of some "travelers" filling up their water jugs in the middle of the night.
I seen that photo your talking about, good old aliens!! ;)  Cool pics though!!

Offline sidebuster

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: April 09, 2009, 06:22:00 PM »
What county were the pics taken at?

Offline bayoulongbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: April 09, 2009, 06:25:00 PM »
county....WHAT PLANET!!!!!!!!  :scared:    :jumper:    :jumper:    :jumper:
"If you're living your life as if there is no GOD, you had  better be right!"

Offline Nakohe

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: April 09, 2009, 07:47:00 PM »
South Texas from a friend of mines father.
"Then Peter said unto them. Repent all of you and be baptized in the Name of Jesus for remission of sins and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost.
Acts 2:38

TGMM Family Of The Bow
Life Member T. B. O. T.
SGT. U.S.A.F. '72-'76
Life Member NRA

Offline Red Beastmaster

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: April 09, 2009, 09:17:00 PM »
A squawsnatch?
There is no great fun, satisfaction, or joy derived from doing something that's easy.  Coach John Wooden

Offline straitera

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: April 09, 2009, 09:33:00 PM »
The last pic is a coati mundi for sure. They're here but rare & usually further south. So too the mountain lion at the trough. That's too cool. I had to check again to make sure I read Sherman properly. Yep. You ever see a mountain lion there before?
Buddy Bell

Trad is 60% mental & about 40% mental.

Offline trashwood

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: April 09, 2009, 11:09:00 PM »
Is a coati mundi the same thing as a ring tail?  One time I was hunting in Deep South Texas.  I climbed up into a pocket like tree stand.  A ring tail had moved in and claimed the stand.  He/she desided they could whip me to keep their home.  I desided the ring tail was a lot tuffer and more motiavated then I was over the stand.  I went to an open stand.   :)

rusty

Offline Mo. Huntin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: April 09, 2009, 11:20:00 PM »
I agree with the beastmaster it is a squasnatch for sure.  I can't stop laughing.

Offline Straitshot

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: April 09, 2009, 11:35:00 PM »
Although Coatimundis have rings on their tails they are different from the true Ringtail cat that ranges in Texas. Ringtails have retractable claws like cats, thus Ringtail cat. Coatimundi's claws are exposed like a Racoon's.

Coatimundi

Texas Ringtail    
A man's true measure is not found in what he says, but in what he does.

Offline trashwood

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: April 10, 2009, 01:26:00 AM »
Ah yes that bottom fellow was the fellow in my stand.  Looked to only weigh 4 pounds or so but I don't think he/she knew that   :)  .

dang that red fellow in the top pic looks like he/she could handle their own in a fight too.  

rusty

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©