3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: A new Shrew Product  (Read 902 times)

Offline Ron LaClair

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
A new Shrew Product
« on: April 09, 2009, 02:31:00 PM »
Some years ago while on a canoe float hunt with an inexperienced paddler      :rolleyes:     we capsized on the river. The bad part besides loosing a bow and a back quiver full of arrows (his not mine) it was in November and the water and air temperature was very cold.     :(     We were a ways from our take out point where we were going to be picked up so we had to get a fire going to get somewhat dried out and warmed up before we continued on down the river. That's where we ran into a problem...everything was wet, including any matches that we had. I finely found two matches that were dry enough to light, and with the help of some birch bark tinder I got a good fire going.      :readit:    I've come up with this little item as an accessory to carry along with the Shrew Hawks. It's whats called a "Striker knife"...a combination knife and fire starting steel. There is going to be a separate little pouch that can attach to the back side of the "Frontiersman" hawk sheath. It will hold the Striker knife, a piece of flint and a bit of tinder. By striking the flint at a downward angle it will shower sparks into the tinder. I'm not saying you can do this under water but I think you could start a fire in the rain with this method...     :readit:  

The blade of the knife is 2 7/8"" and overall length is 6"

We live in the present, we dream of the future, but we learn eternal truths from the past
When you were born, you cried and the world rejoiced. Live your life so that when you die, the world cries and you rejoice.
Life is like a wet sponge, you gotta squeeze it until you get every drop it has to offer

Offline Ron LaClair

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: A new Shrew Product
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2009, 02:34:00 PM »
We live in the present, we dream of the future, but we learn eternal truths from the past
When you were born, you cried and the world rejoiced. Live your life so that when you die, the world cries and you rejoice.
Life is like a wet sponge, you gotta squeeze it until you get every drop it has to offer

Offline Tim Fishell

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2009, 02:36:00 PM »
Nice additon Ron!!  A good flint and steel is always a good thing to have around.
Dreams can not be bought; they are free to those who have lived. -Mike Mitten

We must go beyond the textbooks, go out into the untrodden depths of the wilderness & travel & explore & tell the world the glories of our journey

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Red Boar

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2009, 03:25:00 PM »
Uh oh...something else I won't be able to live without.    :knothead:   Good addition, Ron.   :cool:
Treadway "Black Swamp"
Super Shrew
'62 Kodiak Magnum

Offline Jim Reamey

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2009, 03:32:00 PM »
Great Idea Ron!

God Bless!
Jim

Offline NW Jamie

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2009, 03:46:00 PM »
Ron,
That is a fine idea and set up, I carry flint and steel and have had the steel fall out of my bag before. You are going to continue to search for ways of making me work a little longer to pay for the things that my wife states are not needed, but I know they are.
Regard’s,
Jim

Online smokin joe

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2009, 03:59:00 PM »
What a great design! It's a beauty.
TGMM
Compton
PBS
Trad Gang Hall of Fame

Offline Ron LaClair

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2009, 05:34:00 PM »
A couple hits with the flint on the hardened striker edge produces the beginning of a fire

Offline artvin

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2009, 08:00:00 PM »
Ron, has worked hard to get this idea right.  As with most things a good idea is still a long way from an efficient and practical working item.

The combination of  the Shrew Hawk, Frontier sheath, and Striker knife all carried in one convenient kit with room in the pouch/pocket for a  small  assortment of possible stuff is a great idea.

I appreciate the opportunity he has extended me to work on it with him.  All items are made with the "hard-user" in mind.

Art
Cedar Ridge Leather
I'd rather wear out than rust out.

Work is the beginning, the middle and the end of success.

www.archeryleather.com

Offline Autumnarcher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2009, 08:50:00 PM »
Good idea Ron. Everyone should carry a reliable means to make fire, regardless of where they hunt. Doesnt have to be a wilderness trip. A fall or other injury couldresult in a night in the woods. Fire can mean the difference bewteen surviving or freezing to death.

One other note, practice with it before you need it. I've been workin with my kids teaching them to make fire. Its not always as easy at it looks.
...stood alone on a montaintop, starin out at a great divide, I could go east, I could go West, it was all up to me to decide, just then I saw a young hawk flyin and my soul began to rise......

Offline T.J.

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: June 14, 2009, 05:51:00 PM »
I wanna bump this to the top. Great idea Ron and I'll be calling you in the morning!
"...Watching a buck turn back seeing his form melt away, a hunter will feel an inner smile. There's no other place he wishes to be and never does he feel more alive..."

~Gene Wensel (Primal Dreams)

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline amar911

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: June 14, 2009, 07:10:00 PM »
Very nice, Ron.   :thumbsup:  

Allan
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline bayoulongbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: June 14, 2009, 09:01:00 PM »
Ron , I like it!!!!!!!!!!!!great Fathers Day...suggestion... :)   :wavey:    :goldtooth:
"If you're living your life as if there is no GOD, you had  better be right!"

Offline Arwin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: June 14, 2009, 09:07:00 PM »
Thats cool!!! Been on the cold, wet end of a hunt a few times and could have used a fire to warm up. Reminds me of when I had to  cross a certain river to retrieve a doe at the end of December. Cold doesn't even come close to describing it!!
Just one more step please!

Some dude with a stick and string chasing things.

Offline todd smith

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: June 15, 2009, 08:38:00 AM »
That's very nice Ron!  Great idea and very practical for woods-runners.  See you this weekend.  todd
todd smith

Live wild live free

www.ToddSmithCo.com

Offline **DONOTDELETE**

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: June 15, 2009, 09:18:00 AM »
Ron, U Da Man

Offline Raven

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: June 15, 2009, 09:20:00 AM »
:readit:  

Raven >>>>-------->

Offline Cody Roiter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: June 15, 2009, 10:54:00 AM »
Ron very good man..... I like it will u have any at Compton ?
We as archer's must keep it alive by helping others into the sport WE LOVE.

Offline amar911

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: August 30, 2009, 02:22:00 AM »
Ron,

What ever happened with this Striker knife? Is it available?

Allan
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline jimmerc

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: August 30, 2009, 08:55:00 AM »
Good question amar911!!!
1- kajika stik combo,RC 55@28/LONGBOW 57@28 Both W/diamondback skins

1- monarch longbow royal 68" 59@28
1- bear kodak hunter-44@28

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement