3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: bear razorheads.  (Read 1029 times)

Offline straitera

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: bear razorheads.
« Reply #20 on: April 09, 2009, 11:10:00 PM »
Better believe they'll hold up. Fred had different prototypes to try and wound up going back to the 125gr Bears for everything including polar bear if I remember right. I have a bunch too and have shot them at least 35 years.
DT, are those Bear screw-ins blue?
Buddy Bell

Trad is 60% mental & about 40% mental.

Offline beauhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: April 09, 2009, 11:58:00 PM »
Nice, thanks again. I thought that they were pretty good heads, but like I said when I did a search on them I found a surprising number of people saying they were actually fairly weak heads. Go figure.
Pronghorn 58" 53@28
Silvertip 62" 58@29
Red Wing hunter 58" 45@28
Marin Bamboo Viper 64" 65@28

Offline vtmtnman

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: April 10, 2009, 05:16:00 AM »
Originally posted by beauhunter:
Nice, thanks again. I thought that they were pretty good heads, but like I said when I did a search on them I found a surprising number of people saying they were actually fairly weak heads. Go figure.
No doubt there's stronger ones.One look at the tip on a Zwickey will tell you that.Three layers of steel vs one.But like someone said before,the Bear razorhead is to bowhuting what the 30-30win is the rifle hunting.  ;)
>>>>--TGMM family of the bow--->

Offline Tree man

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: April 10, 2009, 10:08:00 AM »
There are lots of stronger heads......but generally the Razorhead is strong enough.

Offline joe skipp

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: April 10, 2009, 12:19:00 PM »
Back in 80 and 81, Bear was having problems with his new Stainless Razor heads. They were coming apart/not holding up well. Why Bear Archery never reintroduced the Original Razorhead still amazes me. There is still quite a following out there for those heads.
"Neal...is this heaven?" "No Piute but we are dam close". Top of the Mtn in Medicine Bow Nat Forest.

Offline beauhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: April 10, 2009, 12:29:00 PM »
Sweet, I think that I will put a tanto tip on them and get 'em razor sharp. Hopefully I can get them to tune out of the Pronghorn Herb is building me.

I pulled a top notch Mt. Goat tag in AK for this fall. Hoping to put some meat on the ground with my first custom bow.
Pronghorn 58" 53@28
Silvertip 62" 58@29
Red Wing hunter 58" 45@28
Marin Bamboo Viper 64" 65@28

Offline d. ward

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: April 10, 2009, 12:31:00 PM »
One reason Bear kind of never went back to the glue on head was bacause of aluminum arrows.
Screw in heads were getting more popular as time went on.It was way easier to just screw a broadhead into an aluminum arrow then to aline a glue on head onto wood.bd

Offline joe skipp

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: April 10, 2009, 10:17:00 PM »
They do make the short broadhead adapters which work with the original Razorhead. The adapter fit just shy of the slot needed to install the insert.
I have plenty of the short adapters here and they work fine.
"Neal...is this heaven?" "No Piute but we are dam close". Top of the Mtn in Medicine Bow Nat Forest.

Offline wollelybugger

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: May 08, 2009, 08:26:00 AM »
I like them because they are so easy to sharpen and fly great. I do sharpen the tip with a different angle. Killed a lot of game with them.

Offline straitera

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: May 08, 2009, 10:56:00 AM »
My Bear glue-ons weigh in around 117gr w/o bleeders. Sharpened a few times at least. They've been very reliable & easy to sharpen for at least 35 years or more. Shot completely through a hog including the offside leg bone w/o damage to the head at all.
Buddy Bell

Trad is 60% mental & about 40% mental.

Offline George D. Stout

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: May 08, 2009, 11:12:00 AM »
The Bear Razorhead Machine (yes machine..Fred's invention) spit out a broadhead every five seconds.  So you may want to add to that 3 million number made.  

Conservatively speaking, that means Bear turned out 1,440,000 Razorheads each year...based on a forty hour week only..one shift.  So in three years time, they would have made over 4 million heads.  If you ever get the chance, watch the Bear Video "Rural Route 1, Grayling, Michigan."
It shows the machine in motion...very amazing.  Fred was quite a designer/inventor as well as a bowyer.

Offline Gerry

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: May 08, 2009, 05:19:00 PM »
I would agree with George that Bear made way more than 3 or 4 million... the head was in production from 1956/57 thru the early 80's.  So the number was probalby closer to 30 million...

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©