3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: If you wanted to hunt out of state  (Read 889 times)

Offline Friends call me Pac

• Trad Bowhunter
If you wanted to hunt out of state
« on: April 09, 2009, 04:52:00 PM »
If you wanted to hunt out of state would you prefer to go after your season is over or would it matter to you?

Our bow season runs from Oct 1 - 28 Feb.  I would like to make an offer to host a hunt on public land but was wondering what others that might attend would prefer.

I have a place that has deer, turkey, hogs and bear.  You can hunt all of them until 28 Feb except for bear.  The season ends for them on Nov 30.  

This place is around 14,000 acres of hilly to steep terrain and is almost all hardwoods with food plots scattered around the property.

The first day I hunted it I saw 20 deer from my tree but it was late Oct and they were really moving.  Later in the season you don't see as many.

It does have a 5 day gun hunt and a 5 day blackpowder hunt but the rest of the time it is bow only.

In Nov you can take 2 deer either sex, 1 turkey either sex and 1 bear.  There is also hogs on the WMA (no limit).  

So, if you wanted to do something like this would you prefer after your own season has closed or would it matter to you?
USAF Retired '85-'05

An old hand me down recurve sparked the fire, Trad Gang fanned the flames.  There is no stopping now.  Burn baby burn!

Offline BillW

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: If you wanted to hunt out of state
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2009, 05:06:00 PM »
Nice offer Duane. For me I would say late December. I am interested...

Bill
Aim Small

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2009, 05:36:00 PM »
I'd really like to do this.  Just trying to find out what would be more convienent or desired by others that would like to go.  I'm retired so the particular time of the season doesn't really affect me other than the month of Oct.  Oct is when I wrap up my bass tournament season.
USAF Retired '85-'05

An old hand me down recurve sparked the fire, Trad Gang fanned the flames.  There is no stopping now.  Burn baby burn!

Online DWT

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2009, 05:37:00 PM »
Up here the snow gets a$$ deep to a tall indian in the winter and a nice hunt down south in December would be awsome. It would be a nice break from wallowing in the snow following my hounds after coyotes.

Offline MWM

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2009, 05:39:00 PM »
I would be interested. After Thanksgiving to the end of the season works for me.

Very Nice offer, thanks

MWM

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2009, 05:44:00 PM »
Typed this up earlier to get my thoughts lined up.

Anyone interested in a 5 day hunt on public land in Arkansas? I will be hunting Gulf Mountain located near Clinton AR   It has around 14,000 acres of hardwoods and the terrain varies from gentle rolling hills to pretty steep.

It has a 5 day gun hunt but after that it is bow only for big game.  These dates will be after the 5 day gun hunt so the deer and bear should be back to their normal routine.  There is a good road system but to hunt you will have to park on the road and walk in.

Gulf Mountain has free camping but it is primitive.  No running water or electricity.  The state usually does provide port a potties for the campgrounds though.  

A 5 day out of state license cost $150.  For that you can get 2 deer, 1 turkey and 1 bear. Gulf Mountain has them all.   I am told there are also hogs on this land.  Bear season ends 30 Nov but everything else is fair game until the end of Feb.

For a map and info about Gulf Mountain go here:
 http://www.agfc.com/data-facts-maps/maps/wildlife-mgt-areas/gulf-mountain.aspx
USAF Retired '85-'05

Offline bowmaster12

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2009, 06:31:00 PM »
i think after season like dec would be great what an awesome idea

Offline Chester Thompson

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2009, 06:42:00 PM »
I personally would be most interested in bears, but I am also sure that I can afford it so I won't even try.
Ask me about CTO.

Offline NightHawk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2009, 08:07:00 PM »
wow nice offer!!! I wouldn't mind going after bear so I would think that would have to be in october some time
1) Gen. 21:20
And God was with the lad, he grew, and he dwelt in the wilderness, and he became an archer
2)The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.
Thomas Jefferson

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2009, 08:34:00 PM »
Originally posted by NightHawk:
wow nice offer!!! I wouldn't mind going after bear so I would think that would have to be in october some time
I can't do it in Oct.  I fish bass tournaments and Oct is when I'm usually out of state fishing for a spot on the All American provided I make regionals.

Oct is also when I'm fishing local end of year championships.

I'll go with Nov or Dec depending on what the majority would like to do.

Never got a bear before.  Even lived in Alaska for 4 years and no luck.  Saw plenty when I had a flyrod in my hand but never when I had the rifle. That's why I like this place, it has a huntable population of bears.
USAF Retired '85-'05

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2009, 09:22:00 PM »
I want everyone that is even thinking about this hunt to know I'm not setting up a Too many hogs situation.

I myself was invited and have been looking forward to hunt pigs in Tx only to find out it was a bogus deal.  I was one of the lucky ones.  I planned to drive unlike others that had bought plane tickets.  Fortunately I am not out of any money.

The hunt I propose is on public land.  I don't have any access to private land so public land is what I hunt myself.  

Our (Arkansas) public land is almost all bow only and I sincerly feel we would have a good chance at success.  

I would really like to get together with a group of folks that love the outdoors as much as I do and share a campfire, stories and hopefully some hunting success.

I only know two people on here personally but if you are hesitent because you don't know me I'm sure Ugly Jake and Oldskool would be happy to vouch for me.
USAF Retired '85-'05

Offline oldskool

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: April 12, 2009, 08:45:00 AM »
Hey Pac, When you get all the details ironed out let me know. The wife is going to take me down there to hunt while she spends another week with her sister. She planned this while we were out stump huntin.
CHX 58in 44@28 CHX 58in 52@28

Offline oldskool

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: April 12, 2009, 08:56:00 AM »
Oh by the way, Pac is one of the good guys. I was down there a few weeks ago so my wife could spend time with her sister before she had open heart surgery and I got hold of Pac since he was in the same area and we got together and went stump huntin.He took me to some of the places he hunts and we had a blast.We made it an all day deal. We made it to the woods at 930 and didn't leave till dark. I have personally never shot that much in a single day and I will again when I get back down there. We definitely had fun.
      "oldskool"
CHX 58in 44@28 CHX 58in 52@28

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: June 23, 2009, 04:47:00 PM »
I know it is still aways off in the future but after checking my schedule I would like to host two hunts.  I will be there for the whole time.  If you can't be there the whole time don't sweat it, hunt when you can.

The 1st hunt will be at Gulf Mountain.  The dates I will be there are 14-21 Nov.  During this hunt bear will be legal if you are lucky enough to see one. Your deer license will cover your bear tag, no extra charge. You can also get 2 deer, 1 turkey of either sex and no limit on hogs.

The 2nd hunt will also be at Gulf Mt.  The dates are 1 Jan - 9 Jan.  Bear season will be closed but everything else will be open.

If you drive here you will need to bring camping gear.  If we have anybody flying in I will see what I can do to accomidate them.

Temps should be below freezing at night and in the 40s by the afternoon.  Should be a nice break from the snow and polar like temps some of you are use to.  

I am not a guide but I can make suggestions where to hunt.  If we can keep this to about 10 hunters or less per trip we should be in good shape.  

This is a public land hunt.  You might see someone hunting squirrels with a gun but there will be nobody hunting big game with anything except a bow.

This is what it looks like in general.

Once you get into the woods it will look something like this

The 1st photo is the view from where I set up my truck camper.  The 2nd photo is where I got my 2nd deer last year.
USAF Retired '85-'05

Offline John3

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: June 23, 2009, 05:03:00 PM »
Pac,

I would love to come for the 1st November hunt (or at least a portion of it) if you have room for me. I've hunted NW Arkansas (southern Washington Co) many times chasing Bears. I usually stopped and bought my non-res tag over the counter at a wal-mart in Fayetteville, is this still the way it works on out of state tags?

This is what a public ground Arkansas Bear looks like..LOL
Killed on a stalk by my buddy Darrell..

Arkansas is beautiful.

John III
"There is no excellence in Archery without great labor".  Maurice Thompson 1879

Professional Bowhunters Society--Regular Member
United Bowhunters of Missouri
Compton Life Member #333

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: June 23, 2009, 06:46:00 PM »
JDS3 you can still buy your license over the counter.  Not a problem.
USAF Retired '85-'05

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: June 23, 2009, 06:52:00 PM »
I'll list the people attending each hunt.  14,000 acres of land so I'm sure we will have room for anyone that would like to come along.

If you can't stay for the whole hunt don't worry.  You can come and go as you please.  I will be at the campsite the whole time for those arriving later than the start date.

14-21 Nov hunt:
pac
JDS3
Goodoldboy94
Buckster

1-9 Jan hunt:
pac
USAF Retired '85-'05

Offline goodolboy94

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: June 24, 2009, 07:03:00 AM »
hey pac im JDS3's buddy so you cna definatly put me on the list
every mourn brought forth a noble chance, and every chance brought forth a noble knight-wiston churchhill

Offline Gehrke145

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: June 24, 2009, 01:55:00 PM »
The Jan sounds interesting, how many days do you plan on hunting, and is there an airport close?

Offline mo bo hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: June 24, 2009, 02:51:00 PM »
how far is it from mnt home i live about 60 miles north of mnt home on the missouri side of the line
WIDOW PCH 44#
PREADTOR CLASSIC 58#
DREAMCATCHER 50#
BROWNING EXPLORER 35#

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©