3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Thoughts on dropping DW....  (Read 915 times)

Offline GMMAT

• Trad Bowhunter
Thoughts on dropping DW....
« on: April 09, 2009, 06:16:00 PM »
OK....So I've been shooting a LB for a couple years.  I've also been shooting all wrong for a couple years.

After getting and looking at MBBIII, I realized I've NEVER utilized back tension to trigger my release.  I realized yesterday (forst day on the blank bail) that a 52# LB isn't anything to sneeze at.  I shot my compound at 66-60#'s.

So.....I've got a custom recurve on order.  I sent the bowyer a note today and said I'd like to chsnge from 52#'s to 50#'s.

My question is (other than the obvious of "5#'s), is there a HUGE difference in performance between 50#'s and 45#'s....if I decided I wanted to go even lower?  I hunt eastern whitetails and turkeys, but might go after elk in 2010 with the bow.

I'm 44, and I'm buying this bow with the full intention of it being my go to hunting bow for many years to come.

Bottom line, do you think I'd be happy with a 45# bow?  I'm an active (ex-collegiate baseball player and PGA Professional) 6'1"/195# guy.

I have NO pride issues with shooting 45#'s....IF it'll perform for what I want it to.

What happens if you're UNDERbowed?

Thanks.  I appreciate all comments.

Offline bowmaster12

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Thoughts on dropping DW....
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2009, 06:26:00 PM »
hey jeff im pretty new to this so i cant be of to much help but i know for sure that a 45 lb bow will do just fine on your deer and turkey not sure about the elk sorry i could be o fmore help

Offline Rob DiStefano

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
    • Cavalier Pickups
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2009, 06:30:00 PM »
an archer's goal is to be consistently accurate, a bowhunter's goal is to harvest game - one thing leads to the other and in that order.  

if you can be significantly more accurate under hunting conditions holding 45# rather than 50/52#, you have the answer to yer main question.

45# for elk?  someone more knowledgeable than i can answer that, but my gut reaction is that 45# holding weight would only work well if all the right parameters lined up - meaning, more holding weight and a heavier arrow would be best for big game.  for whitetail and turkeys, 45# and a 450-500 grain sharp broadhead will pass through each at reasonable hunting distances.  

i do think there is such a thing as being 'underbowed' - you want to hold reasonably comfortable at anchor, but with enough holding weight to allow for a fast near-surprise release when yer brain gets the green light.

it takes time and practice to move up in holding weight, and sometimes that's just part of bowhunting - and perhaps a good enuf reason to have more than one bow   :cool:   .  the more holding weight you can easily control will make it at least somewhat easier to take game, imho.
IAM ~ The only government I trust is my .45-70 ... and my 1911.

Offline GMMAT

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2009, 06:41:00 PM »
I was talking to someone I trust, just now, and the point came up that I could always order another set of limbs for bigger game (if that unfolds in the future).

I have a 52# longbow, but to be honest....if it was 50#'s it wouldn't hurt my feelings.  

I have one of those on order (LB), too.  I do plan to switch it to 50#'s.

Offline Winterhawk1960

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2009, 06:44:00 PM »
Jeff,

Is your custom bow on order a one-piece or a three-piece takedown. If it is a takedown, then I most definately would go for the 45# to begin with. Once you get your form, and shooting style down the way that you want it, a new set of limbs is a whole lot cheaper than a whole new bow.

I've got a takedown longbow now, and have three more on order. They will all be very close to 43# @ my 29 inch draw. I can always get another set of limbs. Actually I am going to order my second set of limbs for my Blacktail for around 50#.

Shooting a lower draw weight will really show you the flaws in your shooting form. It can be a bit tricky at first to get a smooth release. When I get used to a grip on a bow, I don't have to worry about getting another riser, to get accustomed to. Thats the way I think, anyways.

Winterhawk1960
What if you woke up tomorrow, with only what you thanked God for today ???

Offline koger

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2009, 06:57:00 PM »
Last year I dropped from #65-60 to #45-50. I shot so much better, felt more confident, and worked on good form and back tension that I was stoked when season got here. I took 3 deer and a turkey using #45, none of the deer ran out of sight, two the arrow blanked right thru, rib to rib, the other was ribs on each side and busted a shoulder blade with a WW, 125gr steel insert/threaded for carbons instead of the 25 gr. factory one. They didnt seem to mind that they were shot with only #45.I have sold all my heavy bows since, am shooting #43-55, aint looking back. Easier on the joints too. I am nocking on 47, just had rotator cup surgery 2 weeks ago, do your self a favor now, dont regret it later.
samuel koger

Offline Whip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2009, 07:02:00 PM »
Jeff, another thought crossed my mind after we finished talking.  The more you work with proper use of back tension the easier it should be to draw your bow.  It may feel funny at first, but the back muscles are very strong and I think you will find that it is actully easier than before.

If it weren't for the possibility of elk in the future 45# would be plenty for the game you are hunting.  But an extra set of limbs could sure solve that issue.

Rob does make a good point about the release though.  There is certainly something to be said about the string from a heavier weight jumping cleanly from your fingers.  

Like most things in picking the right bow, everything involves trade offs, and there is no such thing as the "perfect" bow that covers every factor.  You just have to figure out what is the best fit for YOU  ;)
PBS Regular Member
WTA Life Member
In the end, it is not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. Abraham Lincoln.

Offline Rob DiStefano

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
    • Cavalier Pickups
« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2009, 07:55:00 PM »
oh, it's a 3pc longbow - imho, go with the 45# limbs since this year it's deer and turk.  

for bigger game, either use yer current 52# longbow, or order out heavier limbs for this new bow.

fwiw, my t/d hunting longbow is 55#, but most of the time for roving i'm shooting 46# or sometimes 50#.  as stated b4, there's a definite advantage to higher holding weight - but don't overbow yerself in the process!  i think you'll reallty appreciate having that 45# ... there was a time in yesteryear when 45# was considered pretty much the norm holding weight for woods hunting (a recurve in the nor'east).
IAM ~ The only government I trust is my .45-70 ... and my 1911.

Offline overbo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2009, 08:12:00 PM »
Depends on bow design of the 45 lber to how much performance difference.

Offline Autumnarcher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2009, 08:35:00 PM »
With your size and fitness level, you should be able to work into the heavier weights without any problem. But, only if you need to or want to.

PLenty of deer sized critters end up on the dinner plate at the hands of 40-45# bows. Fred Bear built 90% of his bows in that range.
A good friend once asked me " How far do you want the arrow to go after it goes out the other side of the deer?".

That being said, my first longbow is 57#@ 28". Before I ordered that one, I worked through a range of recurves from 40-50# . I love that bow, and shoot it often. My 2nd longbow I ordered 52#@27". All in all a little lighter than #1. broke it in with a 7pt buck this past fall.
My wifes longbow is 41#@28". I shoot it a lot for form practice. Light wieght, comfortable as all get out to shoot. I am definitely more accurate with it, and I I use it to focus on form, then when I shoot my heavier bows, my form is better and I shoot them better. If I feel bad habits forming, I immediately go back to the lighter bow to resolve them.

A couple months before huntin season, I decide which bow I'm gonna hunt with, and that is the only bow I shoot till the season ends. I can tell you 45# is too light for elk in my opinion. . They are thick skinned, thick haired and big boned.  I've seen elk killed with 52#, with a heavy arrow and a close shot. no 35 yds shots with that setup.

Since you are getting a 3 pc takedown then I agree with what some of the others say, go lighter to start, then order a heavier set of limbs later if thats an option for you. At my draw length, both my bows are 50-53#. Plenty for me,and with arrows pushing 600gr, penetration is not a problem.(unless you hit an elk shoulder. But then they stop everything)

I think you'll find a vast majority of trad archers have bows in a range of weights.. Or at least started out that way. Good luck and good shooting to you.
...stood alone on a montaintop, starin out at a great divide, I could go east, I could go West, it was all up to me to decide, just then I saw a young hawk flyin and my soul began to rise......

Offline NightHawk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: April 09, 2009, 08:40:00 PM »
45# will kill any game in North America. Hitting where your aiming is the key imho
1) Gen. 21:20
And God was with the lad, he grew, and he dwelt in the wilderness, and he became an archer
2)The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline KentuckyTJ

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: April 09, 2009, 08:48:00 PM »
Jeff, I am also 44 years old and have been overbowed for many years myself. I used to shoot mid 50 pound bows and have recently gone to 50 pounds. I couldn't be happier. I enjoy shooting much more than I ever did because its just plain fun when your not struggling with a heavy bow.

A string can make a huge difference in all bows performance. I have a Schafer Silvertip at 50 lbs that I have four different strings for. The B-50 string I have for it is dead quiet but just doesn't give the arrow the boost. I have a padded loop D-97 FF string on it now and the performance is much better without too much noise increase. My point is with the four strings I have it is a totally different bow with each of them on it.

As far as 48 lbs. being enough for whitetails. You bet it is. I have a friend with a 43 lb bow that's killed more deer with it than anyone I know. His bow is shooting the arrows perfectly straight and he gets pass throughs most of the time. The arrow flying perfect is much more important than the weight of the bow in my opinion.

Go for it. You will be surprised at your accuracy increase with less pounds.
www.zipperbows.com
The fulfillment of your hunt is determined by the amount of effort you put into it  >>>---->

Offline DW

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: April 09, 2009, 09:02:00 PM »
MAN, That's a relief.......I thought yall were kicking me out....  :)
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Red Beastmaster

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: April 09, 2009, 09:13:00 PM »
I started with a 45# bow, went right into a few 60-65#'ers, started dropping back into the 50's, and now in the mid 40's. I'm shooting better than ever and I can do it all day!

It took me 20yrs to come full circle back to 45#, my neck and shoulders wish I had never shot those heavier wts.

I have a custom Brackenbury on order. Originally I wanted 47# but after thinking that I want to shoot this bow for the rest of my life I changed my order to 45#. My joints will thank me many years from now.

I'm planning on hunting deer and hogs with this bow and feel confident that it is plenty.
There is no great fun, satisfaction, or joy derived from doing something that's easy.  Coach John Wooden

Offline Shaun

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: April 09, 2009, 09:16:00 PM »
Yeah Don, I logged on to vote for keeping you but found they were only discussing draw weight...

45# is low for elk. Many states require "50# at your draw length" to be legal. I shoot bows of all (Mid to Low) draw weight and there are trade offs for ease of draw vs. release/form issues.

To learn form, you want to be underbowed. This allows you to learn full draw and back tension. Then, you can move up to hunting weight and it will feel easy, especially with the adrenalin of the moment of truth.

Offline slayer1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: April 09, 2009, 09:18:00 PM »
Here's one for ya.... I recently got an ACS in a trade from a buddy. The bow is 50lb @ 28, I usually shoot  60 lbs at 28" inches.  Well after several weeks of shooting this bow I noticed that I was drawing the 30" arrow off the rest. I ended up with at 31.5" arrow to be able to shoot a BH without hitting the riser. I think my draw length is a solid 31" that would put my draw weight at about 60lbs. Funny thing is my accuracy is better than it has ever been and my joints and muscles are not near as soar. I guess moral of the story is to see how far you comfortably shoot lower poundage's before moving up.

Offline DW

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: April 09, 2009, 09:35:00 PM »
Knew I could count on you Shaun.....Sending you a PM........My Draw Wt. story is ...2 Years ago I had some surgery Just before a very important hog hunt...Talked to the Dr. and he had never shot a bow and said no shooting so I carried my bow to him to let him draw it...I showed him a 44lb. longbow and he said maybe after he had drawn it several times...So with out telling my wife I was gonna hunt, Sky and I started plotting our strategy....Anyway I shot that 44lb. bow with a Simmons LANDSHARK 160 GR tipped Arrow for a total wt. of 440 grains....and shot completely thru 3 hogs.....AND Skyler has killed 7 hogs shooting 42 to 47lbs...and had 2 holes in everything....
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline James Wrenn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: April 09, 2009, 10:17:00 PM »
A big part of archery is having fun.Lighter weight bows that you can shoot more and usually learn to shoot better with is well... just more fun.  :D  

Here 40lbs will kill anything you run up against and you can always get more limbs for the elk trip.You will improve your shooting with the 45lb bow more than enough to make up for than 5 lbs of weight difference will make.The biggest mistake most every archer makes is trying to shoot more weight than they need to or are really cabable of shooting well.jmho
....Quality deer management means shooting them before they get tough....

Offline Old York

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: April 09, 2009, 11:20:00 PM »
"Bottom line, do you think I'd be happy with a 45# bow?"

Yes.

Your draw length might go up a tad and that's 'free' K.E. too!    :thumbsup:
"We were arguing about brace-height tuning and then a fistmele broke out"

Offline nightowl1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: April 09, 2009, 11:44:00 PM »
I have a takedown with 58# limbs... im getting ready to get some new ones made at about 47# for all of my hunting and shooting down here and keep the 58's for when I move up north.

I can shoot quit a shot with the 58s but i notice my back getting tired and form lacking pretty quick...

I love hunting but i LOVE TO SHOOT... so more arrows means more fun to me
Combo Hunter 46@28

I came from nothing and I brought it with me.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©