3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: KS. Turkey hunt , pics added  (Read 806 times)

Offline 2treks

• Trad Bowhunter
KS. Turkey hunt , pics added
« on: April 09, 2009, 10:27:00 PM »
I am going to Kansas next week for turkey hunting and was told I can't use my bow during the gun season. Does anybody know for sure? I called the FWP today and one lady said "NO!" and the other lady said "Yeh sure you can use any legal weapon" What gives? I built a new bow just for this trip, hope I can use it.
   Chuck
C.A.Deshler
United States Navy.
1986-1990

"Our greatest fear should not be of failure but of succeeding at things in life that don't really matter.”
~ Francis Chan

Offline Steve O

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: KS. Turkey hunt , pics added
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2009, 10:36:00 PM »
It is bow only for the first week of the season, then any legal weapon for the rest of the season.  I just got back from there Sunday and have been going for the past 5 years.  You are good to go...shoot straight   :archer:

Offline 2treks

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2009, 10:50:00 PM »
NICE! My new bow will not have to wait till the 20th now. How did you do? what part did you hunt?
Thanks Steve, Chuck
C.A.Deshler
United States Navy.
1986-1990

"Our greatest fear should not be of failure but of succeeding at things in life that don't really matter.”
~ Francis Chan

Offline Steve O

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2009, 10:57:00 PM »
N Central--LOTS of birds, but none would come in  front  of the blind under 30 yards ...

Wind was so bad it broke 3 blinds   :mad:

Offline 2treks

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2009, 06:59:00 AM »
Thanks Steve O, we are going towards the sameplace, north central. So I guess you are saying face the back of the blind eh?
C.A.Deshler
United States Navy.
1986-1990

~ Francis Chan

Offline bretto

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2009, 08:41:00 AM »
You can use Your bow during the entire season!!!! Nothing that locks Your bow in a drawn position.

Offline 2treks

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2009, 09:18:00 AM »
Thanks bretto, I am getting pumped up, I just put the last coat of finish on my "TURKEY" Bow.
   Should be a fun trip, Chuck
C.A.Deshler
United States Navy.
1986-1990

~ Francis Chan

Offline sweeney3

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2009, 01:56:00 PM »
Your bow is good here.  The bow only season just ended, but that just means it opened up to shotguns.  You can definatly use the bow on turkey up here for the rest of the season.  Course, you'll have 500 guys out there throwing shot around, so watch yourself.
Silence is golden.

Online anchorman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2009, 02:38:00 PM »
Was out last saturday and called in one bunch of about 20. Then it got real windy. Buddy shot his first ever at about 7 yards. Ther are birds around and like everyone said you can use your bow during the season. Good luck!

Offline 2treks

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2009, 05:30:00 PM »
Sweet! I ran a bunch of errands today and got the last coat of clear on my TURKEY BOW. will keep practicing this weekend and bail out on Tueasday. I am getting pumped.
C.A.Deshler
United States Navy.
1986-1990

~ Francis Chan

Offline 2treks

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2009, 07:51:00 AM »
I am helping strip and shingle a roof this morning and then me and the TURKEY BOW will be out for some stumpin. Any advice on hunting in the north central area? I just got the atlas and regs yesterday. we are looking at the WIHA and other public spots. any names of areas?
Thanks to all for the help. Chuck
C.A.Deshler
United States Navy.
1986-1990

~ Francis Chan

Offline Steve O

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: April 11, 2009, 08:20:00 AM »
I finally learned this year the key is to call a LOT!!!  There are a lot of hens and no gobbler is coming to a hen that calls a few times every 20 minutes like we call here in MI.  Pulling the hens in with the gobbler in tow worked OK, but I could not get them in FRONT of the blind    :banghead:  

The walk in farms I've hunted have all been pretty good, but the birds are DEATHLY afraid of any kind of decoy.  I have actually started putting them out in travel corridors that I do NOT want the turkeys to be in.

How about some pictures of this "turkey bow"...

Offline 2treks

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: April 11, 2009, 09:30:00 AM »
OK Steve O, Curly Narra riser, curly makore veneer, bamboo core. What do ya think?

C.A.Deshler
United States Navy.
1986-1990

~ Francis Chan

Offline fatman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: April 11, 2009, 09:35:00 AM »
now that's a Turkey Bow  :clapper:
"Better to have that thing and not need it, than to need it and not have it"
Woodrow F. Call

Commitment is like bacon & eggs; the chicken is involved, but the pig is committed....

Offline Steve O

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: April 11, 2009, 10:04:00 AM »
I think that is "PURRTY"   :D  

What is the lenght tip to tip on that little jewell?  Who did the artwork?

I think Shedua or Ebony would make the perfect turkey bow...dark, dark, dark.

Offline Steve O

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: April 11, 2009, 10:11:00 AM »
Hmmmmm, now I am really intrigued...

I went to your website.  I take it that is an Ambush Recurve?  I am going to have to make a trip to Ovid I see.  50" NTN is a little shorter than my Dark Archer.  This Bob Lee shoots pretty good, but I am always looking...

I shoot split fingers and 29 1/2" draw, will the Ambush handle that?

Offline K.S.TRAPPER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: April 11, 2009, 10:24:00 AM »
Very nice  :thumbsup:    :notworthy:  

Tracy
You really haven't hunted the old fashion way until you've done it from one of these Indian houses.(The Tipi) "Glenn ST. Charles"

Offline Whip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: April 11, 2009, 10:30:00 AM »
Great looking bow Chuck!   :thumbsup:  

Steve, your comment about placing decoys were you DON'T want the turkeys to go is interesting.  I tried that one day last year hoping they would shy away from the decoy and filter my way.  3 big toms came to the edge of the field, looked at the decoy, and turned and left the way they came.  Sometimes they can seem so stupid, but man, they sure got decoys figured out!

I've got a couple of new tricks up my sleeve for this year.  I got the idea from a guy that builds and sells a "decoy sled".  Just like it sounds, the decoy mounts on a pair of runners which is then attached with a cord running to a stake in the field and back to the blind.  Pull the cord to "walk" a feeding decoy out to the stake and then pull the other end of the cord to walk it back toward the blind.

I'm adding a "turkey skin" made of real turkey feathers over the top of the feeding decoy.  A combination of real feathers on a decoy that is walking and feeding HAS to work!

They can't be that smart, can they?   :banghead:
PBS Regular Member
WTA Life Member
In the end, it is not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. Abraham Lincoln.

Offline bowhunterfrompast

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: April 11, 2009, 11:54:00 AM »
Nice bow  :thumbsup:

Here is a good read about turkey hunting in KS by Charlie Lamb.

http://tradgang.com/noncgi/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=072915  

Have a great hunt.
Rick Wakeman
UBM Lifetime Member
American Broadhead Collectors Club

Offline Chris Surtees

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: April 11, 2009, 02:25:00 PM »
Very nice looking bow   :thumbsup:    :thumbsup:

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement