3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Turkey without a blind?!  (Read 706 times)

Offline ishiwannabe

• Trad Bowhunter
Turkey without a blind?!
« on: April 10, 2009, 05:13:00 PM »
I know, I know...What?!

I know a few have done it.(If you have feel free to post pics!) I know it is difficult to say the least. BUT, I also know it can be done.

I just cant bring myself to A. Get a blind, or B. Hunt out of one.
When I go into the turkey woods, Im going with my bow and some good camo. Since going "trad" three years ago, the less gear I have or need with me, the better the hunt for me.
Anyone else?
"I lost arrows and didnt even shoot at a rabbit" Charlie after the Island of Trees.
                         -Jamie

Offline horatio1226

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Turkey without a blind?!
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2009, 05:28:00 PM »
What? I love my blind! This year I am going to:
A. Put a recliner in it
B. Shoot a turkey from it!
I'm just playin with ya Jamie! I really do love being in my blind. The birds are chirping and nesting on the branches that I used to brush in.
I guess I'm just not that hard core. I was in the Air Force ya know!
"So long as the moon returns to the heavens in a bent, beautiful arc, so long will the fascination with archery in man lasts."

Offline ishiwannabe

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2009, 05:33:00 PM »
Hey Brian, to each their own man. I have no problem with people using em, it just isnt for me.

That recliner line had me laughing!  :biglaugh:
"I lost arrows and didnt even shoot at a rabbit" Charlie after the Island of Trees.
                         -Jamie

Offline horatio1226

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2009, 05:36:00 PM »
I know ya don't Jamie! I think I could fit 2 recliners in mine if ya change your mind!
"So long as the moon returns to the heavens in a bent, beautiful arc, so long will the fascination with archery in man lasts."

Offline Shawn Leonard

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2009, 06:06:00 PM »
Jamie, I have done it on fall birds. I located a flock feeding, scattered them and called them back. There was a lot of young birds and it was not too hard to fool them. Shawn
Shawn

Offline No-sage

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2009, 06:33:00 PM »
I've been trying for several years.  I've had many a "shotgun" bird that I would have been able to tag had I been carrying one.  

So far all I've been able to manage is a tight string to half draw.  I've never even gotten to the point of being able to get a shot off.  Once I almost got to full draw before getting busted.

I have a blind now.  I didn't get to hunt out of it last year but one time with no opportunities.  I hate lugging it into the woods, that's for sure, but I'm going to give it an honest effort this year and see how I do.

It's either that of I'm going back to the thunder stick.

Offline Sunstroked

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2009, 06:35:00 PM »
I've hunted the really hard way during a spring hunt. I set out some decoys and hid behind a log. A big Merriams Tom came in to check things out. I was peeking between a gap in the rotted log, trying to get an arrow on the string and the recurve in position. Next thing I know the bird was right on the other side of my hide. I sat up quickly and drew my bow, only no turkey. He was running up the hill behind me, my arrow passed harmlessly behind him. I also knocked some feathers from a jake on that hunt. A forest fire broke out and forced me off the mountain to end my season.  This yr, I drew a tag for the same unit. Not sure how I'll hunt it this time. I bought a new benelli for the occasion. The bow will be in my camp as well. I'll see how things go with the action.

Offline ishiwannabe

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2009, 06:40:00 PM »
I hear ya Keith. I have taken three birds with the bow(insert contraption), all of em out of a stand in the fall. I have walked up on them numerous times, like Shawn, but I have yet to take a shot.
I have a lot of naturally formed areas that should help me out. Stuff that will make the bird either commit or walk away, and if he commits, it should be a decent chance at getting a shot.

Those of you that have done it, what worked for you?
                         -Jamie

Offline Elksong

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2009, 06:41:00 PM »
I've killed half a doz. or so.  Never shot one from a blind. shot 3 toms in the spring and 3 hens and one tom in the fall.

What is man without the beasts? If all the beasts were gone, men would die from great loneliness of spirit, for whatever happens to the beasts also happens to man. All things are connected. Whatever befalls the earth befalls the children of the earth

Offline tarponnut

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2009, 06:48:00 PM »
I'm going to give it another shot tomorrow am.
Just a little camo netting, a decoy,and natural cover.

Offline Gary Logsdon

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2009, 06:49:00 PM »
It can be done; if you don't like sitting IN a blind, then BE the blind:^)!!  Shot this KY Eastern last spring while sitting on a stump close to an old logging road the longbeards use as a strut zone.  You need to develop a controlled method of drawing the arrow - straight back.  No swing draws!  The Shaggie suit fools their eyes up close until you can move on them.  Draw straight back whenever their beady little eyes go behind something.  I like to shoot-em up the anal opening (Talk about picking a spot!) when a bird's fan covers his head.  Nothing like a "Texas Heart Shot" to put them down quick.

Gary Logsdon

Offline ishiwannabe

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: April 10, 2009, 06:52:00 PM »
"Texas Heart Shot"  :biglaugh:  great stuff!
                         -Jamie

Offline KentuckyTJ

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: April 10, 2009, 09:21:00 PM »
I like to use natural blinds so to speak. Notice the dark hole in the cedars at ground level in the background. That was the arrow's path on this old girl.

www.zipperbows.com
The fulfillment of your hunt is determined by the amount of effort you put into it  >>>---->

Offline joe skipp

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: April 10, 2009, 10:14:00 PM »
I've spent the last 15 yrs hunting them from natural blinds or blowdowns with the bow. Real tough when you have more than one set of eyes looking around.

I wouldn't hunt them any other way. Over the years I missed some, lost one and finally connected. If I was a gun hunter, I would have taken my bird every year but...I just enjoy the challenge of doing it the hard or some say "stubborn" way. Thats just me...
"Neal...is this heaven?" "No Piute but we are dam close". Top of the Mtn in Medicine Bow Nat Forest.

Offline Duckbutt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: April 10, 2009, 10:29:00 PM »
I enjoy it more without the tent.  Have had a little success.  Hope to have some more in the morning.

Offline ishiwannabe

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: April 10, 2009, 10:44:00 PM »
Yeah Joe, I was remembering last year..atleast I think it was last year.

KentuckyTJ, I have very similar stuff to work with here. Also have rock walls, large rocks, "cliff like" ridges...all the good stuff that will make them move along a certain path.

Great stuff guys.
                         -Jamie

Offline bluegrassbowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: April 10, 2009, 11:33:00 PM »
I've taken 7 that I wasn't setting in a blind, mostly in the Fall while deer hunting out of treestands.Most of my turkey killing is out of a Doublebull,at least when I want to get down to bussiness....

"Life,Liberty & the pursue of deer & turkeys."

Offline Bowspirit

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: April 11, 2009, 01:30:00 AM »
I hear you, Jamie. Seems like I'm making a whole bunch of changes this turkey season...no blind, switching from carbon to wood arrows, less camo in the ol' hunting wardrobes...at the very least, should make for even more excuses as to why I didn't get a bird...  :bigsmyl:
“I read somewhere of how important it is in life, not necessarily to be strong, but to feel strong. To measure yourself at least once.”
                -Alexander Supertramp

"Shoot this for me."
                -Chuck Nelson

Offline overbo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: April 11, 2009, 08:42:00 AM »
Killed my first 2 seasons ago after 12 years trying w/out a blind.Called him im 5 times to get him in the right position to kill'um at 6 yrds.160 snuffer thru his eyeball.

Offline Randy Morin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: April 11, 2009, 09:48:00 AM »
3 in a row for me w/out a blind.  All run and gun with 2 strips of camo burlap, a 3 leg stool, some big paper clamps, and dekes.  

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©