3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Turkey without a blind?!  (Read 705 times)

Offline rtherber

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Turkey without a blind?!
« Reply #20 on: April 11, 2009, 10:53:00 AM »
I like the "run and gun"...er...bow way of hunting turkeys. It is my Spring southern "elk" hunt prerequisite. I hunt public land with lots of hiking trails, keep moving and stop and use the push button yelper to locate a bird. Or get lucky and hear a gobble and go to it. I have enough action that it keeps me coming back for more,even if the ole tom wins. To me its about the adrenalin rush I get leading up to the shot..ie...outslick the bird by not moving when he is within 8 yds. and have him puffed up,spitting and drumming,close enough to see every little detail(including that big eye looking at me)NOW if killing a bird consistently was the goal I'd say get you a blind,set on your butt--but I get too much  of that during archery deer season here.

Offline ishiwannabe

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: April 11, 2009, 11:01:00 AM »
Randy, now thats my kind of set up. Nice bird! Nice looking country too...
Rtherber, If I was that concerned about getting a tom, I would dust off my scattergun. I hear you loud and clear bud.
"I lost arrows and didnt even shoot at a rabbit" Charlie after the Island of Trees.
                         -Jamie

Offline Featherbuster

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: April 11, 2009, 11:11:00 AM »
I know its poosible, my brother in law killed one wednesday at five yards with his morrison, without a blind.  He hunts both, with and without blind and has success.  But i will say he is an excellent turkey hunter!!
We do not inherit the Earth from our Ancestors, we borrow it from our Children. - Tribe Unknown

Southern Traditional Archery

Offline Randy Morin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: April 11, 2009, 02:26:00 PM »
Yeah I like to stretch my legs come Turkey time after a long winter in the shop mostly.  You cant shoot stumps from inside a blind either!  Plus these Merriams travel so far on a day to day basis it can really pay-off traveling over hill and dale.

Offline highPlains

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: April 11, 2009, 02:58:00 PM »
Spot and stalk turkeys can be done. I tagged along with a buddy a few years ago and got pictures of it. We spotted the turkeys from quite a distance on a real windy day and two of us sneaked to within 15 yards.

The small red x shows where they were from where we spotted them.

The turkeys are just beyond the trees...

>>---> TC
Rocky Mountain Specialt

Offline Don Thomas

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: April 11, 2009, 05:51:00 PM »
It absolutely can be done. I've killed a whole lot more turkeys without a blind than with one. In the mountain west, turkeys move around a lot at this time of year and it pays to be mobile. With good technique, a downed pine tree, perhaps supplemented by a strip of netting from my pack, will get the job done. Sure, I call in some birds that I don't kill, but that just makes the fun last longer. I have nothing against blinds, but hunting without one will make you a better hunter. Besides, between turkeys I'm looking for bears, shed antlers, and morels... and staying in shape from lion season. Go for it. Don

Offline Roy Steele

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: April 11, 2009, 10:39:00 PM »
One thing to remember is you don't have a shotgun so you have to set up a little different.I've used a ghillie for 20 years on gobblers.You may get away with alittle movment at the time of the shot.And you can camo in alittle better.You can't set up in the open hardwoods like gun hunting.I've learned to set up on the side of a tote road,deer trails,fence lines.Where the gobbler has to walk by me.Where I have a little say so about the distance snd where he's going to walk.So I have places to draw where he won't see me when I need to draw.I'll set up where he'll walk and where he'll give me those shots.These simble things will help you to get shots.These have worked for me sence the early 80's.And if your going to bow hunt with out a blind so have to learn these set up areas.
DEAD IS DEAD NO MATTER HOW FAST YOUR ARROW GETS THERE
 20 YEARS LEARNING 20 YEARS DOING  20 YEARS TEACHING
  CROOKETARROW

Offline ishiwannabe

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: April 12, 2009, 11:22:00 AM »
Wow guys GREAT pics and stories. Ya do have me wondering hwo much of a difference there is between the sub-species though...any thoughts?

I cant imagine spot and stalk on some of the call shy, hunter wary Easterns we have around here. As it is, Im gonna have to hoof it out into the boonies to get away from the gun hunters. Called in too many of them in the past...
"I lost arrows and didnt even shoot at a rabbit" Charlie after the Island of Trees.
                         -Jamie

Offline Guru

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: April 12, 2009, 08:44:00 PM »
Not all turkeys are created equal Jamie...

Sub-species, hunting pressure, and terrain makes things very different....

Our Eastern turkeys are as harder to kill than most...at least from what I've seen in my travels
Curt } >>--->   

"I love you Daddy".......My son Cade while stump shooting  3/19/06

Offline ishiwannabe

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: April 13, 2009, 10:31:00 AM »
Thats kinda what I was thinking, but I have never hunted any other.

Should prove to be an interesting May...
                         -Jamie

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©