3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: English style longbows  (Read 936 times)

Offline Crossed Arrows

• Trad Bowhunter
English style longbows
« on: January 04, 2007, 03:17:00 PM »
I'm interested in finding more shooters of the English style longbow and bowyers of those traditional bows.  Please tell me about your longbow, arrows, quiver, blades, hunting clothes and camping gear.  Photos if you've got them.  Reason is that I'm stepping back about seven centuries to get traditional like my ancestors "shooting in the bow."  You might call it Bow Trekking.

Offline skeaterbait

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: English style longbows
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2007, 03:23:00 PM »
Hey CA, you have PM
Skeater who?

Offline Bob Barnes

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2007, 04:56:00 PM »
JD Jones (Genesis Bows) makes a most excellent ELB...they are my favorite style for lobbing arrows over long distances...  :)
Bob
"Hello, My name is Bob and I'm a BowAholic"

Offline Ghost Dog

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2007, 05:07:00 PM »
John Strunk of Spirit Longbows makes a killer ELB, as does Gerald Welch of Welchman Longbows. And yes, so does JD Jones. I have an osage ELB that JD made for me that is so beautiful and shoots so well it makes be blush.

Offline Jason Jelinek

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2007, 05:52:00 PM »
Spliced Oregon yew.  45# @ 29".  73" long.  Antler nocks (didn't have horn).  Fast Flight string.  It's not a war bow since it's spliced in the handle and has the Buchanan dips.  I killed a doe this fall with it at about 15 yards.

Laminated birch 30" long with traditional cut 5" flechings wrapped with silk, self nocked with Wensel Woodsman broadheads.

Jason

Offline Roadkill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2007, 08:12:00 PM »
If ya want to take a half step back, '
allen
Boice makes a laminated "English" that's a great shooter.
Cast a long shadow-you may provide shade to someone who needs it.  Semper Fi

Offline Traxx

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2007, 08:22:00 PM »
You might ask the same ? over on Paleo planet,and Primitive archer also.Theres quite a few,who make and use that style of bow.Theyre darn serious about it too.Ragi,is one of em,and he hangs out here too.
Target archery is seeing how far away you can get and still hit the bull's eye. Bowhunting is seeing how close you can get and never miss your mark.

Offline Hawken1911

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2007, 09:23:00 PM »
Hi Robert,

There are a few of us with the same mindset around here.  I portray a 14th C. forester, and “Huntsman Lance” (another Trad Ganger) portrays a 12th C. huntsman.  You can see pics of our garb here:   Rangers  

I shoot a 60#, horn-nocked ELB made in England by Pete Davidson.  Here’s his website:   Traditional English Longbows    My self-nocked arrows were made by another fellow Trad Ganger who goes by Ragi.  Here’s his website:   Broken Axe Arrow Company  

I deer hunt with hand-forged medieval-style broadheads, and small game hunt with wood blunts which are based on period illustrations.

As for other gear, there are pictures of the various components of my kit here:   Paul\\'s Kit   I'm finishing up my period camping gear now.

PM or email me if you'd like to discuss these topics in more detail.  Welcome to Trad Gang!

Paul

ST. HUBERT'S RANGERS, Brotherhood of the Medieval Hunt.
MICHIGAN LONGBOW ASSOCIATION
Scott Spears Osage English longbow,50#@28"

Offline Crossed Arrows

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2007, 03:49:00 PM »
Great info, fellow woodswalkers.  I'm just getting back to shooting and feel like I've come home.

Offline trh1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2007, 06:16:00 PM »

Offline bayoulongbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2007, 07:45:00 PM »
ditto........Liberty bows!!! its a sleepier keeper....Im tellyou guys it is!!! marco#78:)
"If you're living your life as if there is no GOD, you had  better be right!"

Offline Alex.B

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: January 05, 2007, 09:19:00 PM »
I shoot a 62#, 68" classic perfect 1/2 moon shaped longbow, and a 65# 70" Yew "War" selfbow with horn nocks and all, but it'll be a cold day in hell the day you catch me dressed in tights and feathered hat!!!    :biglaugh:      :biglaugh:
tgmm, tanj, compton, bha

Offline longbowguy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: January 05, 2007, 11:14:00 PM »
Might as well make your own. I made mine under the tutledge of master bowyer Jay St. Charles. His bowmaking course cost less than buying a bow, and was a wonderful experience. And now I can make all I want at little cost. See selfbow.com.

How much performance do you give up choosing such a primitive bow? Not that much. At a recent Western States Longbow Safari a graduate of Jay's course beat all of the other longbow men and all but three of the recurve men with his self made yew longbow.

Offline Hawken1911

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: January 06, 2007, 08:44:00 PM »
but it'll be a cold day in hell the day you catch me dressed in tights and feathered hat!!!
Alex, you've obviously never worn tights.  If you had, you would most certainly appreciate the body forming snugness and firm support that only they can provide       :D      :scared:        :knothead:
ST. HUBERT'S RANGERS, Brotherhood of the Medieval Hunt.
MICHIGAN LONGBOW ASSOCIATION
Scott Spears Osage English longbow,50#@28"

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©