3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: hunting with traditional gear  (Read 603 times)

Offline Cowboy Al

• Trad Bowhunter
hunting with traditional gear
« on: April 10, 2009, 11:22:00 PM »
I'm really looking forward to hunting with my longbow this coming fall. Practice is going well and I'm shooting good groups comfortably out to 25yards. Good groups that is after my first shot. I find that once I shoot one arrow I can hone in on the distance and where I need to aim. My question is how does this translate into a hunting situation do you traditional hunters carry blunts and stump shoot on your way to your hunting grounds or stand? I'm thinking by doing this I would gain confidence and also warm up a little. Am I on the right track?

Offline Benny Nganabbarru

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: hunting with traditional gear
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2009, 11:50:00 PM »
Yes, you are absolutely on the right track. Some of us need to "get in the groove" before we hunt or do a formal target shoot at a club, by warming-up at close range. Not everyone needs to do this, but I certainly do, and it was discussed on the latest "Masters of the Barebow" DVD. I read that even Howard Hill would always shoot a few arrows before going hunting. I carry blunts in my quiver, and make a point of shooting termite mounds, or soft sandy pig diggings, or hardened cakes of cattle or buffalo dung before really getting into the hunting hotspots, or whilst waiting in ambush. Good luck!
TGMM - Family of the Bow

Offline tarponnut

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2009, 11:56:00 PM »
I try to shoot a few arrows before going out and also while hunting (at stumps,dirt clods, etc.).

Offline daveycrockett

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2009, 12:03:00 AM »
Always have a judo are blunt in my quiver for this reason. It's also FUN!   :goldtooth:

Online ozy clint

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2009, 12:05:00 AM »
i also always carry a blunt. practise while you hunt
Thick fog slowly lifts
Jagged peaks and hairy beast
Food for soul and body.

Border black douglas recurve 70# and 58# HEX6 BB2 limbs

Offline wollelybugger

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2009, 01:16:00 AM »
I always take a shot out of my tree stand at a target I think is within distance. It seems to give me confidence.

Offline mcgroundstalker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2009, 05:56:00 AM »
Get a hold of J Kidwells' book "Instictive Archery Insights". That will help you understand how your grey matter works when it comes to this trad stuff.

... mike ...  :)  ...
"Be faithful in small things because it is in them that your strength lies"

Offline jimmerc

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2009, 12:52:00 PM »
You Bet, I always carry a judo for pratice, and if it is a early am hunt i take a couple shots at my bag target in the basement before heading out!!
1- kajika stik combo,RC 55@28/LONGBOW 57@28 Both W/diamondback skins

1- monarch longbow royal 68" 59@28
1- bear kodak hunter-44@28

Offline ChuckC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2009, 01:30:00 PM »
if I am reading your post correctly,  I am seeing that you can dial it in but the first shot may not be right on.   Thinking about how we hunt, we need to really worry about that first shot.... not so much the next several.  Although shooting groups is a good thing,  the fact is,  you are likely to get only one shot.

Stump shooting...  loosing only one arrow per target, at unknown distances, is a great way to work on that.  And, as told above... shooting before you go out into the woods, or   better yet,  as you are hunting will help you dial in.  That first shot, however   is   THE ONE.
ChuckC

Offline straitera

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2009, 01:37:00 PM »
Howard liked to shoot a practice arrow first. I do the same and often stumpshoot walking to my hunting area. If in a stand, I often shoot a judo at a pine cone, etc. to get a feel for the situation.
Buddy Bell

Trad is 60% mental & about 40% mental.

Offline Shawn Leonard

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2009, 01:58:00 PM »
If this will be your first year hunting with your longbow, I say keep your shots well under 25 yards. A lot of people here have been at this quite a while and will tell ya that 25 yards is quite a poke, even for very good shots. Once I am in my tree and settled in I usually pick out a leaf in a direction I doubt anything will be coming in and take a practice shot. I try and keep all my shots under 20 yards as well. 10 yards or so is perfect. Shawn
Shawn

Offline Jerry Wald

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: April 11, 2009, 07:38:00 PM »
Why wait till fall - there's bears soon....cmon. Get some shooting in...stump shooting is perfect practice and off you go..take a backup

Getter done cowboy

jer Bear

Offline Jerry Wald

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: April 11, 2009, 07:42:00 PM »
Last bear I got was at 9 yards on the ground. Don't think many ppl would have trouble hitting at that distance, but it's been known to happen.

Practice at long shots too....they make the shorter ones seem easier...practice...practice.

My first shot is usually my best...my concentration is better too.

jer Bear

Offline aromakr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: April 12, 2009, 12:01:00 PM »
Al:
I think Chuck said it best, too the hunting archer groups are a waist of time. Shoot one arrow at different distances and learn to make the first arrow a hit. In the fifty plus years I've bow hunted I can only remember one time I ever got more than one shot at an animal and I missed them both because I was telling myself how easy this was going to be instead of concentrating on making the shot.
Bob
Man must "believe" in something!  I "believe" I will go hunting-----

Offline Ken Taylor

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: April 12, 2009, 02:11:00 PM »
Part of the pleasure in shooting traditional gear is being able to shoot and practice more often "in the bush".

You know when it is o.k. to practice coming back from your hunt, or even walking to if you have a long way to go. If I'm not disturbing my hunt, I shoot.

My favorite practice is picking up a grouse or other small game with a blunt during the afternoons or near camp, or even when exploring.
May your next adventure lighten your heart, test your spirit, and nourish your soul.

Offline slick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: April 12, 2009, 02:40:00 PM »
An exercise I use when loosing an arrow is not an option is to focus on a target, pull back to anchor, then let down. I've done this on stand while passing the time and just before the critical last couple feet of a stalk with good results. If you're having trouble with that first shot, give this a try in practice and see if it helps. This is also a good exercise for those folks who short draw when they shoot. Another thing that will help is after my warm up routine and form training is to only shot a single arrow at a time before getting my arrow. I usually start this single shot routine a couple months before hunting season.

Good luck with your shooting.

Slick

Offline michaelschwister

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: April 12, 2009, 04:30:00 PM »
I would not put too much stock in groups. The real measure is the first shot. Get a judo (I keep one or two in my hunting quiver) and spend most of your time stump shooting, one arrow at a time.  You first shot of the day is the most important. Another recommendation is to take a few practive shots with a judo at the beginning if each hunting trip. The best hunting practice is one arrow per day.  Actually, your first miss will be high and caused by shooting at the whole animal. Pick a spot!

Mike
"The best thing to give to your enemy is forgiveness; to a friend, your heart; to your child, a good example; to a father, deference; to your mother, conduct that will make her proud of you; to yourself, respect" - Benjamin Franklin

« Reply #17 on: April 12, 2009, 10:26:00 PM »
Alot of times I shoot a couple of practice arrows at camp just before I go to the stand. Sometimes it is hours before the next shot on an animal happens. I don't know if it actually helps but it does feel good if I shoot a real good group and then get in the stand.

Bisch

Offline Cowboy Al

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: April 12, 2009, 10:35:00 PM »
Thanks for all the replies, some great ideas that I will incorporate into my practice. I was especially concerned about making that first shot count. Chances are that my quarry isn't going to stand around letting me get dialed in after an arrow or two.

Offline Bowshot

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: April 13, 2009, 12:18:00 AM »
Al, get a hold of Dennis in Calgary. He has some of the hex point blunts, get them in the same weight as your broadheads and shoot them all day long while hunting, stumping etc. I have yet to destroy one. They will fly the same as your broadheads and are good for grouse as well.

Terry

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©