3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: brace height & backup string  (Read 297 times)

Offline boznarras

• Trad Bowhunter
brace height & backup string
« on: April 11, 2009, 11:13:00 AM »
Maybe this is an old idea, but I never saw it anywhere, so I had to think it up myself. Maybe it will save some time in the woods for somebody.
I have a couple of backup strings all set to use in case the string on the bow fails. To speed up being ready to shoot, I put the strings on the bow at home and stretch them out, twist them to the right brace height,etc., then when I take them off, I keep the end loops in the same plane as on the bow, and tie them together with a piece of string and store them in a ziplock. If I need to use one, I untie the string and keep the same twist in the string as I put it on the bow.
To check brace height, I first check it at home with the bow square, then I mark my arrows with a sharpie marker at the belly face. Later, if I think a string has stretched, I just put an arrow on the string and look at the mark. If it is not right at the belly side of the bow, I can twist the string and set it right immediately.
This way, if I break a string out in the woods, I can put the backup on and be back in business in just a minute or so, and don't have to carry around any extra tools.

Offline waiting4fall

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: brace height & backup string
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2009, 01:01:00 PM »
Good idea.  :thumbsup:

Offline Jason R. Wesbrock

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2009, 02:28:00 PM »
I do the same thing with twist ties. It works great.

Offline Smallwood

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2009, 03:02:00 PM »
you can also take one loop, put it thru the other loop, and pull on it to tighten them down. this keeps them from coming apart and loosing your twists in your string.

Offline ozy clint

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2009, 03:29:00 PM »
this is what smallwood and i do.

just shoot your backup string till all the creep is gone, set at the right brace, then do this. even easier
Thick fog slowly lifts
Jagged peaks and hairy beast
Food for soul and body.

Border black douglas recurve 70# and 58# HEX6 BB2 limbs

Offline Jason R. Wesbrock

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2009, 03:40:00 PM »
That's cool! Thanks. Much easier than using twist ties.

Offline boznarras

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2009, 05:46:00 PM »
Hey I like that even better. I used the twist ties too, but they get rusty here in the rain forest, so I went to string, but I like the simple way Ozy shows in his photos. Will switch over.
The mark on the arrows makes for an easy check, if I have any doubts after I put the string on.
It does appear however, from looking at his fingers in those pictures, that maybe Ozy has his brace height set a little too close  :)
Thanks.

Offline ozy clint

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2009, 10:06:00 PM »
yeah thumb slap is a pain.  :biglaugh:  

when you put the spare string on the brace height will be a little high but after 6-8 shots it should be back to where you left it, so check it then.
Thick fog slowly lifts
Jagged peaks and hairy beast
Food for soul and body.

Border black douglas recurve 70# and 58# HEX6 BB2 limbs

Offline Gordon martiniuk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2009, 12:58:00 AM »
one loop through the other then coil up put an elastic on to hold together then in the zip loc bag works for me I also lke to shoot in spare string for a couple hundred shots then cannot tell the diffrence which string I have on ,spare strings that are not shot in are left without centerserving so I can tell which is which
Gord

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©