3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Groundhogs  (Read 951 times)

Offline MikeW

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Groundhogs
« Reply #20 on: April 12, 2009, 10:19:00 PM »
Wouldn't ya know it...
a Texican found it..  :wavey:   :campfire:
Thanks, Mike.
Well I've been working out here in IL. & IN. for about 8 months now so I checked out all the regs. seeing what I could chase with my bow while I was here. Ground Hogs were on my list too.
Time is a great teacher, but unfortunately it kills all its pupils.

Offline reddogge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: April 12, 2009, 10:32:00 PM »
I'm overrun with them in MD.  Used to kill 12 or more each year with a .22 but missed three easy shots this year with a bow.  Elbow injury does not allow me to practice or shoot full weight bow yet.  That's my story and I'm stickin to it.

One technique is if you scare one and he runs into his hole, silently creep up on the backside of hole and just wait.  10-15 minutes he will peek up to take a look around and he should be facing away from you and that's when you take your shot.  They are very tough animals and usually tear the arrows up before they die.
Traditional Bowhunters of Maryland
Heart of Maryland Bowhunters
NRA
Mayberry Archers

Offline Chuck Hoopes

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: April 12, 2009, 10:42:00 PM »
Ive hunted and successfully taken a doz. or so groundhogs w/ bow in Souther Mich.  Hay fields are their perfered habitat here as they likely are in Ind.  When you see hay fields stop and ask farmer if he has groundhogs prob.  Ask permission to hunt w/bow, and you often will get it, as they cause farmers probs.  Spring is the best time to hunt them, as males spend alot of time away from their holes seeking females.  Ground hogs also are out and about just before rain -(1/2hr to 1hr previous) and often feeding durning rain if it is more like drizzal.(I think they like their tender alfalfa shoots w/ a little water)  We call them "Whistle pigs" because of the sharp whistle alarm they often make.  They are pretty good eating-- cook like a beef pot roast(leave just a little hair on 'em.)  Cold Whistle pig sandwichs w/ mustard the following day makes for some mighty fine eating!  You do wind up loosing some arrows as once you stick one, he heads for his hole, which usually is not far off, either taking your arrow down w/him, or it just gets broken.  You can have some really great spot and stalk hunts.  You can also set up near their burrows, early to mid morn. and get a shot, or before rain. I have caught them out in the open with me between them and their hole-- I have chased them up a tree more than once--you got them then.  They really do make for some great hunting adventure.  Iam suprised more archers do not seriously hunt them-- but I imagine this is because of their reduced numbers.   Spend some time scouting and you'll find a place or two.

Offline PSUBowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: April 13, 2009, 10:52:00 AM »
I spend a significant amount of time chasing them around in the summer. One field that I hunt is full of them. I killed 17 last year in this particular field alone.

They can be pretty dificult to hunt if the hay has been recently cut.

The very best time to hunt them is right after they cut the hay, but leave the bales in the field for awhile. The farmer that cuts this particular field has the large square bales. When they are in the field, it is like shooting fish in a bucket. YOu can get shots at 6-8 groundhogs/evening.

Offline KentuckyTJ

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: April 13, 2009, 12:55:00 PM »
Only ones I see anymore around here are in the highway medians.
www.zipperbows.com
The fulfillment of your hunt is determined by the amount of effort you put into it  >>>---->

Offline b.glass

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: April 13, 2009, 10:32:00 PM »
PSUBowhunter! Sounds like GROUNDhog heaven!
B.Glass, aka Mom, aka Longbowwoman
Gregory R. Glass Feb. 14th, 1989-April 1st, 2007; Forever 18.
TGMM Family of The Bow
Mark 5:36 "Don't be afraid, just believe".

Offline Red Beastmaster

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: April 13, 2009, 10:50:00 PM »
PSUBowhunter

Where are you finding G-hogs dumb enough to hunt them in open fields? Take me there! LOL. Sounds like you have found a honey hole!

Around my hunting grounds, 100yd and sometimes 200yd is the closest you can get in the fields. I hunt them inside the edges of the woodlots. Most holes are within 10yd of the edge. I still hunt deer trails or paths that I have made. I keep them clear of twigs and leaves for silent stalking. I know where all the holes are and glass them as I approach. If a pig is out then the real hunt begins. Getting within stickbow range is a real challenge and very rewarding if you make the shot.

Two years ago I was layed off through the Spring and early Summer. I shot 36 that year. I call it my "Summer Of Love". Last year I was back to work and worked hard to get 18. Most years it is less than a dozen. Sure makes the farmer happy. Me too.  :)

Good luck this season!
There is no great fun, satisfaction, or joy derived from doing something that's easy.  Coach John Wooden

Offline Ssamac

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: April 13, 2009, 11:08:00 PM »
Coyotes are year round season in IL. Not sure about the Chicago area. Groundhogs aren't even listed, but they are big sport for varmint hunters along with prairie dogs. Don't know if there is much difference. A lot of groundhogs are gone with the lawn chemicals that are used. So you have to find an area with lawn and no chemicals to get them. Used to hunt them with a bb gun.
sam

Offline tarponnut

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: April 13, 2009, 11:09:00 PM »
I used to hunt them a lot as a kid in Western NY.
One of my first trad kills(ca 1980?) was a woodchuck using a Black Bear, cedar arrows and MA-2 broadhead.After I shot it, it reared up and looked like it was going to charge my friends and me! It was like a scene out of Monty Python(the killer rabbit).
They were everywhere back then. I still see quite a few when I go back trout fishing in the summertime.Maybe I'll bring my bow this summer? hm......
It's quite a challenge to get in bow range of a woodchuck.They have great eyesight and are on edge all the time.

Offline MikeW

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: April 13, 2009, 11:47:00 PM »
Coyotes are year round season in IL. Not sure about the Chicago area. Groundhogs aren't even listed, but they are big sport for varmint hunters
Coyotes...closed in counties with open firearm deer season.
WoodChucks..6/1-9/30
 http://www.dnr.state.il.us/admin/pdf/season_dates.pdf
Time is a great teacher, but unfortunately it kills all its pupils.

Offline Bullet_Bob

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: April 13, 2009, 11:55:00 PM »
Come to my house I have holes all over the yard. My garden said they got to go.
"Quit, don't quit? Noodles, don't noodles? You are too concerned about what was and what will be. There is a saying: yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift. That is why it is called the "present." - Oogway (Kung Fu Panda)

Offline PSUBowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: April 14, 2009, 07:31:00 AM »
Originally posted by Red Beastmaster:
PSUBowhunter

Where are you finding G-hogs dumb enough to hunt them in open fields? Take me there! LOL. Sounds like you have found a honey hole!

Around my hunting grounds, 100yd and sometimes 200yd is the closest you can get in the fields. I hunt them inside the edges of the woodlots. Most holes are within 10yd of the edge. I still hunt deer trails or paths that I have made. I keep them clear of twigs and leaves for silent stalking. I know where all the holes are and glass them as I approach. If a pig is out then the real hunt begins. Getting within stickbow range is a real challenge and very rewarding if you make the shot.

Two years ago I was layed off through the Spring and early Summer. I shot 36 that year. I call it my "Summer Of Love". Last year I was back to work and worked hard to get 18. Most years it is less than a dozen. Sure makes the farmer happy. Me too.   :)  

Good luck this season!
This field has alot of small hills and mounds in it that allow you to stalk them. I have also found that if you scare one back into its hole, go stand about ten yards from the hole and within a few minutes he will stick his head out to take a look around.

One thing that helps is there is a walmart about 1/4 mile from the field, so no one hunts it with guns.

Offline JC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: April 14, 2009, 08:30:00 AM »
Man I sure wish I had them around home. I love to hunt them and a young one is some of the finest game to put on the table.

Tough on arrows as others have said. In my experience, if it's not a passthrough or a head shot, it's gonna break the arrow. I have yet to have one hit in the body that died right there, even spine hit; and quite often we've had to dig them out. One vary wary and tough critter for sure.
"Being there was good enough..." Charlie Lamb reflecting on a hunt
TGMM Brotherhood of the Bow

Online frank bullitt

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: April 14, 2009, 12:42:00 PM »
Bullet Bob, Thanks for the offer, I wish I could go out there! How's the string doing for ya? Well, I'm thinking of posting something at the local bullentin boards for a place to hunt them. The farmers I have talked to haven't seen  much either. It's one of my archery goals this year! I also have read  of some guys using treestands near a den area. JC, that's another reason , iwould like to try the meat, anybody canned them? How about some pictures of  "hog" harvests!

Offline Ssamac

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: April 14, 2009, 12:54:00 PM »
So groundhogs are listed as Woodchucks. Thought they were different. Isn't one blind during the day?

You're right I didn't remember but coyotes are off limits during the shotgun season.
Rest of they year open game. The farmers don't care when it is. If they see one near their cattle the drop it and usually with a rifle.

sam

Offline Red Beastmaster

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: April 14, 2009, 01:06:00 PM »
"Isn't one blind during the day?". Nope.

Groundhog: woodchuck, dirt pig, whistle pig, G-hog, afalfa chicken, sod poodle, ground grizzly. Did I miss any?
There is no great fun, satisfaction, or joy derived from doing something that's easy.  Coach John Wooden

Offline Ssamac

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: April 14, 2009, 01:17:00 PM »
Nuisance

Offline b.glass

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: April 14, 2009, 01:25:00 PM »
Beastmaster, you included a couple that I hadn't heard before!

Chucks and carp are a good way to get your bowhunting "fix" in the summer time! I personally like chucks over carp.

I wish I could go to Virginia for some good chuck hunting!

My first kill was a chuck in July with a self fletched, carbon arrow and a WW broadhead. He nearly made it the fifteen yards back to his den before giving it up. It was a perfect heart/lung shot. I was in a ground blind of old hay bales, in full camo and playing the wind.

My second was in a natural blind of a tree with some weeds around it. It was a 26 yard shot and I center punched him! Same bow and arrow set up. Used my Fox longbow and a 550 gr. arrow. Those Woodsmans sure make a big hole.

Bona
B.Glass, aka Mom, aka Longbowwoman
Gregory R. Glass Feb. 14th, 1989-April 1st, 2007; Forever 18.
TGMM Family of The Bow
Mark 5:36 "Don't be afraid, just believe".

Offline JC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: April 14, 2009, 03:08:00 PM »
Originally posted by Red Beastmaster:
Groundhog: woodchuck, dirt pig, whistle pig, G-hog, afalfa chicken, sod poodle, ground grizzly. Did I miss any?
Yep...we also call them "delicious"     :D

Never had them canned but I've had them just bout everyway something can be cooked. I like them young tender ones on the grill with the seasoning/salt of your choice. Smooked is really fine too but you have to keep sopping to prevent drying.

Can't remember the recipe exactly but my grandmother used to crock pot the older ones with onions and ? along with some heinz 57 and a portion of a can of mountain dew. Sounds crazy but over rice it was...well....one of the reasons we called them "delicious".
"Being there was good enough..." Charlie Lamb reflecting on a hunt
TGMM Brotherhood of the Bow

Offline Dartwick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: April 14, 2009, 04:06:00 PM »
Yes PA has no shortage of groundhogs.
Wherever you went - here you are.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©