3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Arrow Expertise Please???  (Read 262 times)

Offline Shleprock

• Trad Bowhunter
Arrow Expertise Please???
« on: April 12, 2009, 12:27:00 PM »
Help changing up my arrows please. I shoot a Kota Prairie Fire that is 60" 54# 28". I would like to shoot carbons this year. Right now I'm playing with Easton ST Epic 500's. They are 30.5" with 5" right helical feathers. With a 175 gr field point they are 445 gr. My FOC is 17.25%. They are running 150 fps (I think, the lights went out in my chrono so I shined a quartz light into it. But that sounds about right). I would like to add about 100 grn, I think.
My ques are: Is 445 light? Whitetail is the largest animal I hunt right now.
             Are weight tubes the best way to add weight, or the only way?
             Should I change the weight of my tip?
             Are 5" feathers preferred when shooting a heavy arrow?
             Any suggestions on brands and weight of broadheads?
             Any suggestions for new arrows? I would like to buy new shafts this year. Mid-range price.
             What color feathers do yall think stand out the best?

Thanks and HAPPY EASTER!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Kota5-----                                    "The arrow has always been a keen thought and the bow always an expresion of hope. By these means freed thoughts fly." Dean Torges

Offline GMMAT

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Arrow Expertise Please???
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2009, 12:36:00 PM »
Changing the weight of your tip affects spine.  Adding weight in the shaft (weight tubes), does not (affect spine).

I'm shooting a X Heritage 150, cut to 30". with a 50gr. brass insert and a 125gr. tip.  I think my total arrow weight (w/ three 5" feathers) is over 500gr.  Everything I hear says we wanna be around 10GPP.  Shooting a 52# LB, I'm close.

There are ways (weight tubes/string line/electrical cord/etc...) to add weight without affecting arrow spine.  If your arrows are tuned, now....I wouldn't go adding tip weight.

Offline metsastaja

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2009, 12:53:00 PM »
My Elmer Patton Copperhead is 54@28.  I draw 29".  I am using CE Heritage  250 shaft cut at 30" 100g insert and 125g BH.  Riser is cut to center with a 1/16 side plate.  I love it.
Les Heilakka
TGMM Family of the Bow  
Some times the uneventful nights are just as good if not better than the eventful ones

Offline Jake Fr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2009, 04:36:00 PM »
get easton 400 fmj with hundred grn inserts and what ever point you want it's one tuf arrow

Offline Jason R. Wesbrock

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2009, 07:17:00 PM »
Originally posted by Shleprock:

My ques are: Is 445 light? Whitetail is the largest animal I hunt right now.

If they fly well, I wouldn't change a thing. You should have more than enough to blow through the chest of any whitetail you choose.

Offline 3undr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2009, 07:33:00 PM »
you are still just over 8 grains per inch, I personally would not go any lighter

Offline Shleprock

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2009, 10:14:00 PM »
Thanks for all your help.
Kota5-----                                    "The arrow has always been a keen thought and the bow always an expresion of hope. By these means freed thoughts fly." Dean Torges

Offline Shleprock

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2009, 10:45:00 PM »
Is there a rule of thumb on the changing of spine with the changing of tip weight? A CE Heritage 250? The Eastons are labeled 300, 400, 500, etc. Which translates into the spine deflection. I guess not all brands are like that. I've always shot alum and wood. I'm in the carbon learning curve. Anyway it sure seems like weight tubes are the way to go.

Offline wtpops

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2009, 11:38:00 AM »
Heres a tip if you go with weight tubes: as you slide them in, every 4" or so take a pair of needle nose pliers and crimp the tube ( the harder the better) this will make the tube fit tight against the inside of the shaft and will stop all the rattling they are known for.
TGMM Family of the Bow
"OVERTHINKING" The art of creating problems that weren't even there!

Offline Shleprock

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2009, 06:36:00 PM »
Thanks wtpops. That makes perfect sense.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©