3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: My new longbow!!!  (Read 1120 times)

Offline fireman_3311

• Trad Bowhunter
My new longbow!!!
« on: March 19, 2007, 11:33:00 PM »
Fellow Tradganger, Kennym, helped me build a new longbow, this past weekend! I ordered a Bingham kit, takedown, with pronounced limbs, Action boo center core, with bubinga and clear glass over that, and real purty piece of bubinga for the riser. We glued on a piece of hickory, and a piece of walnut to the riser, for a bit more material...Here's some pics!!!

Here's the form, and some of the lam's for the first limb. Kenny is double checking the directions!!!

Glued, and set in the press, almost ready for the oven!!!

Official Measurer for Boone and Crockett, Pope and Young, Compton's, Longhunters, and both Mo books.  Have tape, will travel!!!

Offline fireman_3311

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: My new longbow!!!
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2007, 11:34:00 PM »
The rest of the press has been bolted on, Kenny is checking to see if we had "slippage", and then you air up the firehose to 60 lbs!!!

We also glued a piece of Hickory, and walnut, to the back of my Bubinga riser section, and put it in the heatbox as well...Kenny helped me out, and glued the other limb up later on friday...

Here's a pic of the limb profile, saturday morning...

Official Measurer for Boone and Crockett, Pope and Young, Compton's, Longhunters, and both Mo books.  Have tape, will travel!!!

Offline fireman_3311

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2007, 11:35:00 PM »
Here' is the riser section, after we sawed the right angle of the dangle, and drilled holes for the limb bolts...

The riser is taking shape...

Offline fireman_3311

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2007, 11:36:00 PM »
a pic of a limb tip!!!

That bubinga in the limbs is purty!!!

Offline fireman_3311

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2007, 11:38:00 PM »
Now, for more rasping and sanding and finishing!!! Kenny was a big help, no doubt I couldn't have done any of this without him!!! We built this one at 68", and it came in at 53# @ 30"....just right!!! After a short 2 days, we strung this bow up and each shot 2 arrows...and yea, Kenny outshot me with my own bow....!!!!!

Thanks again, Kenny!!!

Offline ibohuntwhitetails

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2007, 11:45:00 PM »
That thing sure looks sweet man! I'm looking at options for making a few bows myself and the bingham option keeps looking more and more apealing. Great work can't wait to see the finished pics and first kill!

Tom
COMPLETE NEWBIE!! FIRST BOW!!
PSE Impala 60" 55# @ 28"
29" 1916 with 5" feathers 100 gr.tips shooting of the shelf

Offline fireman_3311

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2007, 11:53:00 PM »
Tom, this being the first and only bow I've ever help build, I like Bingham...ordered over the phone, told them I wanted 50-52 lbs, it wouldn't take much more work to make that weight!!! I sent you a PM...

Offline Lewis Brookshire III

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2007, 06:35:00 AM »
VERY NICE!!!! Those bingham kits turn out some nice bows from what I have heard. Keep us posted and post more pics as you go!!
"He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose."
- Jim Elliot: Missionary/Martyr.

Offline Golden Hawk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2007, 07:51:00 AM »
Lookin Good Brad. You bringin that one to bear camp?
LeRoy

Charter member of TBJA (Trad Bow Junkies of America)

Offline fireman_3311

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2007, 08:52:00 AM »
Reviveourhomes...will do!!!

LeRoy, Yes!!!!

And have I mentioned lately, I can't WAIT for september!!!???!!!

Offline Over&Under

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2007, 09:47:00 AM »
Fine Job indeed!  Hope to see the finished product soon!

Jake
“Elk (add hogs to the list) are not hard to hit....they're just easy to miss"          :)
TGMM

Offline Shakes.602

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2007, 04:33:00 PM »
Very Nice and Good Work, it Looks Like a Shooter!!
"Carpe Cedar" Seize the Arrow!
"Life doesn't get Simpler; it gets Shorter and Turns in Smaller Circles." Dean Torges
"Faith is to Prayer what the Feather is to the Arrow" Thomas Morrow
"Ah Think They Should Outlaw Them Thar Crossbows" A Hunting Pal

Offline Golden Hawk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: March 20, 2007, 04:34:00 PM »
Me either Buddy! Everytime I look at the calender I go spinnin. Not to mention everytime I get an email from Tim (our outfitter).
LeRoy

Charter member of TBJA (Trad Bow Junkies of America)

Offline fireman_3311

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: March 20, 2007, 05:13:00 PM »
Worked on the riser a bit today...NOT an easy task!!! Still not close to where I want it, but I'm gittin there!!! I rasped til my fingers were sore today...lol. Here's a couple of pics

Offline SuperKodiak38

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: March 20, 2007, 05:56:00 PM »
Looking good !
"Go afield with a good attitude, respect for the wildlife you hunt and for the forest and fields in which you walk. Immerse yourself in the outdoor experience.It will cleanse your soul and make you a better person."

Fred Bear

Offline razorsharptokill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: March 20, 2007, 06:07:00 PM »
Looking good! I'm working on a Bingham pronounced limb takedown longbow as well.

I've spent more time getting the cutting and sanding jigs ready than I have on the bow! I'm using grey and brown action wood riser blocks to get a two tone color combo. Mine is going to have red and black phenolic between the two colored woods.

If I ever get time to work on it I'll post some pics.
Jim Richards
Veteran

USMC 84-88
Oklahoma Army National Guard 88-89
USMCR 89-96 Desert Storm
Oklahoma Air National Guard 2002- present. Operation Iraqi Freedom 2005(Qatar) and 2007(Iraq),
Operation New Dawn Iraq 2011,
Operation Enduring Freedom 2018 Afghanistan.
NRA Life Member.

Offline Dave Worden

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: March 20, 2007, 06:33:00 PM »
Looking good so far.  I have two words for you.....power tools.  You'd be amazed how much riser shaping can be done on a spindle sander! You do need to hurry and get it done so you can get in on the bow exchange that's being suggested!  LOL  Seriously stick with it and good luck.  I've made one of those and it's a very nice shooting bow.  It was my very first experience at a glass-laminated bow and turned out great.  I'm sure yours will too.
"If I was afraid of a challenge, I'd put sights on my bow!"

Online kennym

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: March 20, 2007, 08:07:00 PM »
Looks like ya got a good start on the riser shapin Brad,does momma know you're usin the kitchen counter for a workbench?  :scared:    :wavey:
Stay sharp, Kenny.

https://www.kennysarchery.com/

Offline Outwest

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: March 20, 2007, 08:13:00 PM »
She's lookin pretty good.
I can tell that this will be a nice lookin bow and a shooter cause of the way the pencil is kept inside of your hat.
Show us the finished bow pictures.

John

Offline Lewis Brookshire III

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: March 20, 2007, 08:17:00 PM »
Yeah a spindle sander is how I did mine. I cant imagine having to flie a riser to shape. You have my utmost respect!!
"He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose."
- Jim Elliot: Missionary/Martyr.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©