3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Moving To Fargo Area ( morehead university of MN )  (Read 655 times)

Offline Frank AK

• Trad Bowhunter
Moving To Fargo Area ( morehead university of MN )
« on: March 20, 2007, 01:05:00 AM »
Well I got a wrestling offer at morehead university of minnesota I will be most likley taking up. I have a few other places looking at me like southern oregon.. My question for you guys is, how far away do I have to get to go do some decent hunting? I really dont have an idea of what to do down there. Will it be a lot of knocking on farmer doors to ask permission to hunt? I have a Ford Bronco that is in great condition that I can drive down there. I can also buy a used car down there, maybee a FWD car if thats all I need to get me to hunting grounds.

Maybee there is a TG member in that area that wouldent mind showing me around a little bit?

Thanks for the info ahead of time,
Frank Holdburg
130lb Alaska State and Regional Wrestling Champion.

Offline AkDan

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Moving To Fargo Area ( morehead university of MN )
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2007, 01:33:00 AM »
When ya going Frank?  I'll be headed that direction in 2 weeks.   Might could hook ya up with some peps if you dont find a tradganger there.

Offline Frank AK

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2007, 02:44:00 AM »
around august to late september

Offline Hot Hap

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2007, 04:35:00 AM »
Call Ron Gunther at the U of I!

Offline mbbushman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2007, 07:46:00 AM »
There is good whitetail hunting all over NoDak, you shouldn't have to drive too far to hunt them. My impression has always been that hunting pressure there is minimal compared to a lot of the lower 48. They also have mule deer, and pronghorn, but they would be a fair drive west of Fargo. There are a couple members here from NoDak that will hopefully chime in as well.

Offline Ak willy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2007, 08:46:00 AM »
Hey Frank,
I've had a lot of family and friends attend Morehead.
Good place.
You'll have no trouble finding good whitetail huning all around there.
Three states to choose from in a short drive.
Good people also.
Good luck.

Offline Jason Jelinek

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2007, 08:46:00 AM »
We have a city hunt for whitetails.  With a little bit of looking you should be able to get into some bowhunting within 1/2 hour of Fargo, my drive is about 20 minutes from my house.  There's pheasants about 45 minutes away, ducks and geese about the same.  ND is in the central flyway for waterfowl.  About 5-6 hours to the west we have mule deer and pronghorn.  One in a lifetime draws for elk, moose, and bighorn sheep if you're a resident.

There's bass/muskie fishing in Minnesota about 45 minutes east.  There's also black bear hunting in Minnesota.

Great walleye/pike fishing in Devils Lake about 2 1/2 hours away.  Decent channel catfishing along the Red (right in Fargo) and gets better the further north you go.

We have a pretty decent archery club in West Fargo (I'm a board member), check it out at  www.sandhillsarchers.org.   Were planning on having a traditional only indoor 3D league night next winter and currently have an indoor 3D league.  Our club has a pond with bass and panfish (great for fly fishing).  There's also another club in town (http://www.lakeagassizbowmen.com/).  We probably have about 20 traditional archers in the area.

If you get to the area give shoot me an email and I'll give you a tour of the park.

[email protected]

Jason

Offline NDTerminator

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2007, 09:20:00 AM »
Howdy Frank, NDT from Devils Lake ND here.  Morehead is a good school with a fair wrestling program. My younger brother went there and graduated back in the 80's.  My son wrestled at Valley City State.

Fargo/Morehead is a big city, plain & simple.
But the Sandhill Archers are a top flight organization, there is a big Scheels (tell Jason Jon from DL sent ya!) Gander Mt, and Sportsmans Warehouse.  You also have Thundering Herd football!

Hunting in MN can be mighty frustrating. I know, I grew up there. If you're real lucky you might get permission to hunt deer on private land, but by & large if you don't own or lease land, the every day joe is relegated to often overcrowded/heavily hunted public land. A huge contingent of MN waterfowl and upland hunters come over to ND every year to take advantage of our superior hunting and land access.

ND, on the other hand, is possibly the best overall hunting state this side of Alaska.  I normally take 8 weeks or so off from Sept-Dec to hunt.

We have onto 1 million acres of PLOTS (Public Land Open To Sportsmen), plus a couple million acres of Little Missouri National Grasslands (The Badlands), my favorite wild place of all I've seen.

For the most part, getting access to private land is a simple matter of asking.  By law, you can go on and hunt any private land that is not posted.  I've been up here about 26 years, and I probably hunt 50/50 public & private land.

The waterfowl & upland hunting is second to none, and are ND's real claim to fame.

I've been around in my 49 years, and I can advise the deer hunting in ND is by far the best I've ever experienced in any state.  We have both whitetail and mulies ( generally west of the Missouri River) as well as antelope out west.

Each year my wife and I both take a mature buck with both bow & rifle, as well as several does. As a rule I don't draw on or lay the crosshairs on a buck that won't go better than 125.

My wife's bow buck last year was a 5 point that green scored 150, mine a 4 point that went 138 and change.  My rifle buck was a 6X7 with double split 7" brow tines, 7.5" bases, and will net around 150.  After I first saw him I offered to let her hunt this buck but she got cold and settled for a toy buck 4 point that scored maybe 115. I got the bruiser three days later after hunting morning & night for him.

By special once in a lifetime draw, moose, elk, and bighorns can be hunted.  Moose showing up around my farmstead is not terribly unusual. Had a cow & calf hanging around here all last Spring.

The only issue I can see  for you is your residency status as to licenses.  You can check out the NDGF website to get those answers.
"As Trad as I wanna be"

"It's all just archery, and all archery is good"

Offline T-Bone

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2007, 01:43:00 PM »
Frank- I grew up in Fargo and have been returning there each year to do my whitetail hunting. I'm regretful that I ever left.  With a bow license you can hunt whitetails or mule deer anywhere in the state from August until January.  Some outstanding public land just about 30 minutes south of Fargo in the National Grasslands.  Farmers will generally allow you to hunt their land too.  North Dakota is definitely one of the best kept hunting secrets in America.  I live in Colrado and have ample opportunity to hunt mule deer and elk, however, if I could I would move back to Fargo in a second for the great deer and waterfowl hunting.  Also, just east of Moorhead about 45 minutes is some of the best natural lakes country on the planet with great fishing for walleye, crappie, bass and muskies also.

Hope this helps.

Tom

Offline nd chickenman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2007, 04:41:00 PM »
Frank, I am about 60 minutes from Fargo, get a hold of me when you get here and I will get you into some deer hunting. I live in country and have access to some prime areas. Joel N

Offline Frank AK

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2007, 07:41:00 PM »
Hey thanks for the responses guys. I will surley get back to some of you. I am also a big time fisherman so it sounds like I will have a blast in there. I will most likley try to stay in Minnesota as much as I wont be able to pay for the out of state licensing all the time. Thanks for your help guys, I am thinking I will enjoy moorhead. It doesent hurt that 61% of the students are female  :)

Offline RL

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2007, 07:51:00 PM »
Hey Frank,
You should hook up with Paul Brunner, it would give him somebody else to look up to!!

Offline Badlands

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: March 21, 2007, 05:42:00 PM »
Frank
I live in western ND, about 300 miles west of Fargo right on the edge of the Badlands. We have over 3 million acres of forest service grasslands and lots of Mule deer and Antilope. If you are ever out my way drop me a line.

Offline kojac

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: March 21, 2007, 08:59:00 PM »
great fishing/waterfowl/deer.

good luck
Brian

"Hunting...is about the Sights, Sounds, Smells, and  the Hunted...All the hunter has to do is show up"

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©