3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Carrizo Cane for shafts  (Read 326 times)

Offline Bob G

• Trad Bowhunter
Carrizo Cane for shafts
« on: April 13, 2009, 06:52:00 PM »
There is a major controversy here in Laredo over the Carrizo Cane that grows wild along the Rio Grande river. Is this cane variety good for making arrow shafts? The Border Batrol wants to poison the cane, and the Environmentalists want to cut the cane or leave it alone. There are acres of it here. If it was good for shafting I thought I might brave the snakes and get a few stalks and try it out. What size do I need to cut and do I cut it green and dry it or find alrady dried stalks and cut them?
"No man who refuses to bear arms in defense of his nation can give a sound reason why he should be allowed to live in a free country" T. Roosevelt

Offline Pat B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Carrizo Cane for shafts
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2009, 07:38:00 PM »
Never heard of Currezo cane. Is it a bamboo type or a giant grass like Arunda donax?
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline razorsharptokill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2009, 07:54:00 PM »
If it is similar to river cane try for shafts about 11/32 in the middle with the small end big enough for a nock. Got any pics of it?
Jim Richards
Veteran

USMC 84-88
Oklahoma Army National Guard 88-89
USMCR 89-96 Desert Storm
Oklahoma Air National Guard 2002- present. Operation Iraqi Freedom 2005(Qatar) and 2007(Iraq),
Operation New Dawn Iraq 2011,
Operation Enduring Freedom 2018 Afghanistan.
NRA Life Member.

Offline gatorgar

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2009, 10:15:00 PM »
Bob I tried that cane already...no luck.  I tried everything I could find as a footing and it kept splitting on me.  I was using a kids bow to try it out.  Maybe I was over drying it, maybe not enough.  Hopefully I can get some time to run over and show you my dead shafts, you work at the Ford, right?
Sarrel's BlueRidge Takedown Longbow 3pc
62" 53#@28"
Easton XX75 400   250gr up front
Have you noticed that the times you don't get nothing while hunting, are usually the most fun you've ever had.

Offline Bob G

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2009, 03:35:00 PM »
PM sent
"No man who refuses to bear arms in defense of his nation can give a sound reason why he should be allowed to live in a free country" T. Roosevelt

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©