3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Turkey hunting in the PM?  (Read 663 times)

Online SuperK

• Trad Bowhunter
Turkey hunting in the PM?
« on: April 13, 2009, 07:07:00 PM »
Does anybody turkey hunt in the afternoon?  I have always hunted them "swamp chickens" in the morning but nowadays I have more time in the afternoon.  How do ya'll do it?  Thanks for any tips.
They exchanged the truth of GOD for a lie,and worshiped and served created things rather than the Creator-who is forever praised.Amen Romans 1:25 NIV

Offline vermonster13

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Turkey hunting in the PM?
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2009, 07:09:00 PM »
Noon is the cut-off time here in the spring season.
TGMM Family of the Bow
For hunting to have a future, we must invest ourselves in future hunters.

Offline BlacktailBowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2009, 07:10:00 PM »
I have found that unless I am near a roost. Between 9am and 2pm is the best.

Any time is a good time to hunt turkeys though.

Just my $0.02
Join a credible hunting organization, participate in it, and take a kid hunting. Member: U.S. Sportsmen's Alliance, NWTF, Oregon Hunter's Assn., Oregon Bow Hunters and  Oregon Foundation for Blacktailed Deer.

Offline koger

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2009, 07:53:00 PM »
Last spring I killed my best gobbler ever at 2:45pm, all the hens was on the nest and he was on the other side of a 20 acre field, I got set up, called 3 times and he ran over400yds to stop 12 yds in front of me. Only one I ever killed in the afternoon, 25lbs, 10&1/2 inch beard, 1&1/4 inch spurs and the points were rounded off! Real trophy for me.
samuel koger

Offline Hawkeye

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2009, 10:20:00 PM »
We have to quit at 1:00 PM in Illinois   "[dntthnk]"
Daryl Harding
"He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose."  Jim Elliot

Traditional bowhunting is often a game of seconds... and inches!

Offline KSdan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2009, 12:38:00 AM »
Mid-day is awesome.  Took two last week 11:00 and 11:45. Pretty typical.

Though I have had many encounters in the evening, I have not harvested many at that time. I set-up within 50 yds of the roosting area and seek to call them in a bit.  Typically have lots of encounters but few "drawing-them-in" responses.  

Dan in KS
If we're not supposed to eat animals ... how come they're made out of meat? ~anon

Bears can attack people- although fewer people have been killed by bears than in all WWI and WWII combined.

Offline Duckbutt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2009, 07:25:00 AM »
Have called more in close at 5pm'ish than any other time of day.  Takes patience and many come in quiet that time of day.  Stake out in a good area and hit the call every fifteen minutes.  Be willing to sit for a few hours.  It works.

Offline leatherneck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2009, 07:57:00 AM »
Ohio laws only let us hunt until 12:00pm.
“I can accept failure, everyone fails at something. But I can’t accept not trying"

Proud shareholder of MK,LLC

Offline EricW

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2009, 09:07:00 AM »
Here in Nebraska sunup to sun down legal times. I shot mine last year right before dark. My dad got one this last Sat about 6 in the evening. I had a shot at one about the same time. Missed high. tom and 3 jakes.

Offline wtpops

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2009, 09:10:00 AM »
CalEfornia stops the hunting at 4:00 pm
TGMM Family of the Bow
"OVERTHINKING" The art of creating problems that weren't even there!

Offline Don Stokes

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2009, 09:22:00 AM »
PM hunting is legal here in MS, but I don't have enough birds on my place to risk pushing them to roost in another area. I leave them alone after 3;00 or so, because I prefer to hunt the morning gobbling time.
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.- Ben Franklin

Offline Talondale

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: April 14, 2009, 09:33:00 AM »
VA just recently instituted an all day hunt for the last half of the season.  I haven't had any success yet during that time because by that time I'm either tagged out or out of time.  But there's been a lot of times during the 12 noon cutoff time part of the season where an additional 45 minutes may have meant bagging a bird.  :)

Offline Jason Jelinek

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: April 14, 2009, 09:48:00 AM »
We got an 8" bearded tom yesterday at 1:30 pm.  There were 4 or 5 toms with 3 hens, the toms would gobble back to us periodically, but the hens were calling to us the whole time.  We snuck up to within 200 yards of the flock.  It took 1/2 hour of calling and eventually the hens were the ones that brought the flock to us.  I used 2 different calls (slate and diaphram).

I've had good luck in the morning if there are toms without hens.

Offline wollelybugger

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: April 14, 2009, 11:44:00 AM »
If you challenge the dominate hen she will get mad enough to come see who giving her a hard time. Agitated purrs and loud cuts will get her hoppin mad.

Offline Steel

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: April 14, 2009, 11:55:00 AM »
I bagged a tom this weekend with my centaur longbow about 5pm. He came running in to my decoys and calling.Intersting that alot of States shut down hunting in the afternoon I never heard that before.

Offline KentuckyTJ

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: April 14, 2009, 12:23:00 PM »
Yep find their favorite roost and set up there when they show up late in the day. Benefit is you don't have to get out of bed a 5 am.
www.zipperbows.com
The fulfillment of your hunt is determined by the amount of effort you put into it  >>>---->

Offline lone hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: April 14, 2009, 02:26:00 PM »
Like the late afternoon hunt, around 5pm. Pretty vocal here around that time and seems a bit easier to slip up on them.

Offline Roy Steele

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: April 14, 2009, 07:32:00 PM »
Here in WV it's 12 also but I've had good luck in some other states in the evening.Pressured gobblers and hens make late morning alot better.
DEAD IS DEAD NO MATTER HOW FAST YOUR ARROW GETS THERE
 20 YEARS LEARNING 20 YEARS DOING  20 YEARS TEACHING
  CROOKETARROW

Offline GMMAT

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: April 14, 2009, 07:44:00 PM »
In '07 I took my only bow bird (compound) at 6:20PM.  I'd watched them go to roost the [revious 3 days and they'd skirted me each previous evening.  I kept moving 30-40yds each morning and evening, and they finally came in (or by) me.

I missed at 20yds (shot a hole in my blind....lol) and ended up taking him at 30yds.

I SEE more birds in the AM's........but my only success has been in the PM.

I'm hunting mid-day, tomorrow.  LB or nothing.

Offline 2-BIG

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: April 14, 2009, 08:20:00 PM »
I have killed Toms that were roosted on property I could hunt but would fly down onto the neighbors property that I couldn't hunt. I just hunted near the roost trees with 1 lone hen and did a little soft calling and caught them comming back in the evening to roost.
I have also roosted a big Tom on public land and in the morning he flew down and went off with hens. I came back in the afternoon and set up next to his roost and got him.
Morning hunting is definitely more exciting and vocal but my best success from 11am-2pm and again an hour or so before dark.
The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who are not. - Thomas Jefferson

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©