3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Longbow more accurate?  (Read 802 times)

Offline michaelschwister

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Longbow more accurate?
« Reply #20 on: April 14, 2009, 06:49:00 PM »
One vote for R/D longbows - the best of both worlds. Limb torsion on recurves is my achilles heel.
"The best thing to give to your enemy is forgiveness; to a friend, your heart; to your child, a good example; to a father, deference; to your mother, conduct that will make her proud of you; to yourself, respect" - Benjamin Franklin

Offline GMMAT

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: April 14, 2009, 06:52:00 PM »
I can tell you the scores at most trad only shoots see the recurve scores being higher than the LB scores.

Coincidence?

Offline bayoulongbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: April 14, 2009, 06:56:00 PM »
Ive seen my favorite shooters shoot both , Ron LaClair asprin , coins, ping pongball, Byron ferguson shoot through rings, Frank Addington Jr. shoot asprin behind his back with hoyt recurve!!!!But I will say this, "Longbows Rule"!!!!!!   :wavey:      :thumbsup:
"If you're living your life as if there is no GOD, you had  better be right!"

Offline Bill Turner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: April 14, 2009, 06:58:00 PM »
I do not believe that accuracy is the by product of the type bow you shoot. I shoot my Howard Hill "Wild Boar" and Massie "Longhorns" good enough to consistently take game, but I've also done well shooting my recurves. It just so happens I prefer shooting longbows. I started out shooting recurves in the early 70's. Shot compounds in the late 80's and 90's. Converted back to the recurve in about 2001 and have shot my longbows exclusively for the last three years. I'm always striving to improve my accuracy(I shoot a minimum of 3 to 4 days per week), but I'm not obsessed with it. Inside 18 yards I'm as accurate as I need to be with either the longbow or the curve. I just prefer the LB at this stage of the game. Go figure.   :banghead:

Offline JEFF B

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: April 14, 2009, 07:04:00 PM »
as long as it has a string on it any bow will do.  :thumbsup:  as in i will shoot it its good fun a bow is a bow stick and string it is the person behind it.   :thumbsup:
'' sometimes i wake up Grumpy;
other times i let her sleep"

TGMM FAMILY OF THE BOW

Offline Covey

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: April 14, 2009, 07:07:00 PM »
I say it is all a matter of opinion. I myself prefer the recurve, they feel better in the grip and I like the sweep of the limbs. I also like the weight of a recurve. Just my opinion, I like the recurve and some like the longbow but if you ask me it's all good!!!  :thumbsup:  Jason

Offline RC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: April 15, 2009, 09:37:00 AM »
I think the mass weight in the riser of a takedown recurve adds to its stability and therefore more accurate. Even more so if its a little long. The best I have ever shot was with 62" recurves.BUT, I enjoy shooting longbows more and I more than not hit what I`m shooting at so I go with the fun factor.On hunting shots at hunting ranges I don`t see much change.Everytime I`ve missed...it was me.RC

Offline jcar315

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: April 15, 2009, 09:57:00 AM »
I am not sophiscated enough in my shooting to say if the LB is more accurate. I do know that I prefer a LB over a recurve. Like the looks, feel, and the overall "traditional" feel of the LB. Not hating on the recurves but the LB is right for me. Personal choice is what makes our sport great. We choose to shoot trad gear.
Proud Dad to two awesome Kids and a very passionate pig hunter.

Right handed but left eye dominant.

Proud to be a Native TEXAN!!!!!

"TGMM  Family of the Bow"

Offline eagle24

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: April 15, 2009, 03:01:00 PM »
I'm not sure a longbow is more accurate.  Heck....I really have no clue, but I do know this.  I can pick up pretty much any longbow, and right off the bat shoot it pretty well.  Not true for me with a recurve.  I have to shoot a recurve a while before I get the feel for shooting it.  So, for me, I would say a longbow is EASIER to shoot.

Offline dragon rider

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: April 15, 2009, 03:54:00 PM »
I've had two bowyers tell me that a longbow is more forgiving of minor release errors than is a recurve, but then they both still make both and say that there is no "best" except the one you shoot best with.
Don't meddle in the affairs of dragons; people are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline 3Under

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: April 15, 2009, 06:55:00 PM »
My "current" two favorites are a ten year old Morrison T/D recurve and a Wes Wallace Royal 66" two piece T/D. Both are in the mid fiftes @ 28" draw. The recurve is the fastest but the Royal LB is sweet and quiet. My 3D scores are about a tie. I've always had a soft spot in my heart for longbow so I lean that way!
PBS,KTBA,HCB,UBK

...  When thru the forest glades I wander and hear the birds sing sweetly in the trees, when I look down from lofty mountain grandeur and hear the brook and feel the gentle breeze, ...How great Thou art!

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©