3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Tillered 3 under - Shooting split - Does it make a difference?  (Read 354 times)

Online Over&Under

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
I was wondering if you had a bow tillered for 3 under and shot it split (or vice versa) if it would hurt the bow, or be harder to tune or cause any other shooting problems?

Thanks
Jake
“Elk (add hogs to the list) are not hard to hit....they're just easy to miss"          :)
TGMM

Offline Chris Wilson

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Tillered 3 under - Shooting split - Does it make a difference?
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2009, 11:08:00 PM »
In my experience it doesn't make much, if any, difference.  I've had a couple of bows tillered even, that I've shot both ways.
"You're either trained or untrained.  When it hits the fan, you will always fall to the level of your training."

Offline daveycrockett

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2009, 11:28:00 PM »
Like Chris, ain't made much difference to me either. Just a higher or lower nocking point, and I shoot split.

Offline 7eyes

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2009, 11:47:00 PM »
In my learning I have found

You can shoot any tiller split finger.

3 under needs to be tillered for 3 under or it will be a little louder.

Offline wtpops

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2009, 09:05:00 AM »
The only differance i have found is where you will end up tying your nock point on the stirng. Shooting 3 under on a bow that is tillered split you will end up with a slighty higher nock point.
(your results my very)
TGMM Family of the Bow
"OVERTHINKING" The art of creating problems that weren't even there!

Online Over&Under

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2009, 09:55:00 AM »
Thanks Guys, I thought that may be the case, but wanted to get some of your thoughts.

wtpops - would the opposite be true if the bow was tillered 3 under and I shot split - ie. I would have to lower the nock point slightly?

Thanks
Jake
“Elk (add hogs to the list) are not hard to hit....they're just easy to miss"          :)
TGMM

Offline Roy Steele

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2009, 07:40:00 PM »
I dosn't even matter to the real shooters.Look at RICK WELCH he likes to teach 3 under.His bows not tillered for 3 under but shoots 3 under.
DEAD IS DEAD NO MATTER HOW FAST YOUR ARROW GETS THERE
 20 YEARS LEARNING 20 YEARS DOING  20 YEARS TEACHING
  CROOKETARROW

Online Over&Under

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2009, 07:53:00 PM »
Good point!
TGMM

Offline twotimer

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2009, 08:04:00 AM »
this is one of the questions asked more than any other that i have observed on this thread.as stated above,the string nocking point,and a little brace adjustment takes care of the problem.i have shot 3under all my life,but have owned many more bows tillered splitfinger,than 3under.i have owned so many bows that i can't even begin to remember them all,and i never check the tiller on them,just set the string nock about 9/16s above center,run the brace up and down from 7 1/2",or start at the manufacture's recomended setting untill i find the sweet spot,record the settings for that bow,and have fun from there on.  :thumbsup:    :campfire:    :coffee:
'TGMM FAMILY of THE BOW"at 211 degrees water is hot.at 212 it boils and cause's steam,which can run a locomotive.is it worth that one extra ounce of effort to finish first,the difference between good and great?

Offline deermaster1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2009, 08:29:00 AM »
in masters of the barebow vol. 2, lauren van cleave, a guy who can literally hit a paper plate at 100 yards, says he shoots all bows with an even ("3 under") tiller.  he is a face walker, and, if i remember right, shots past 45 yards yards he shoots slit finger.  now if he is hitting tiny targets at 100 yards, CONSISTENTLY, id say there is no negative effect.
"I dont want my country to do anything for me, I want to do everything I can do for my country"~~~Ted Nugent

Online Over&Under

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2009, 10:55:00 AM »
Well you can't argue with the evidence.  Point made, point taken.

I guess it is time to have some fun!

Thanks everyone for taking the time!
TGMM

Offline twotimer

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: April 16, 2009, 05:11:00 AM »
a parting thought,from a rambling mind.a bow,even tillered,as oposed to one with positive tiller,has a better balance and feel,and more natural pointability,at least in my shaky hand,with a wondering eye.tugaloo.  :thumbsup:    :campfire:    :coffee:
'TGMM FAMILY of THE BOW"at 211 degrees water is hot.at 212 it boils and cause's steam,which can run a locomotive.is it worth that one extra ounce of effort to finish first,the difference between good and great?

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©