3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Favorite Treestand  (Read 5157 times)

Offline NoCams

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Favorite Treestand
« Reply #60 on: April 17, 2009, 02:15:00 PM »
WestTnMan,
I had two Loggy's like yours for years and only by the grace of God did I not fall. I got rid of them after a couple of near misses on wet mornings and slick trees. I know Loggy knew they had a problem because they came out with a, " Band Aid" of sorts. It was two claws that you could slide up on the climbing band and two claws you could bolt to the platform.

Until Summit finally got smart and started making their stands out of Aluminum and developed the Viper I would have stayed with my Loggy's I did like them a lot. Just not worth dying for !!! The other benefit of the Viper is that the top seat portion has the rail that goes all the way around you. Not saying you could not fall out of a Viper, but personally think it is almost impossible.

Please be careful if you keep hunting out of your Loggy's ! Please go get on a wet tree and put your harness on and climb a few feet off the ground and you will see what I mean about slippage, especially on a Poplar ! I guarantee you it will slip. Only my humble opinion and I am only posting here for you because I care !!!

nocams  :scared:
TGMM  Family of the Bow
"Failure to plan is planned failure"

Offline WestTnMan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #61 on: April 17, 2009, 03:10:00 PM »
Oh, I know what you mean. I have had this stand since about '86, I have just learned how to use it and do wear a harness. I get up and stay seated in the climbing aid, mine has the seat strap, and attatch my safety strap. Then I get everything setup.
Gen 27:3 "Take your hunting gear, your quiver and bow, and go out into the field to hunt some game for me."

Offline jojotater

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #62 on: April 17, 2009, 10:27:00 PM »
I have an old viper and like it a lot. I have a tree saddle and am still trying to get use to it. If I was getting a new stand, it would be the Equalizer, no doubt.  https://www.equalizertreestands.com/index.php

Offline SteveMcD

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #63 on: April 18, 2009, 07:21:00 AM »
Over the years I've had a Baker (and still survived!), Loggy Bayou, Gorilla, Ameristep and Summits. I just picked up the Summit Deer Deck Hang On... nice large platform. I am hoping it is a smart choice.
Someday you and I will take the Great Hart by our own skill alone, and with an arrow. And then the Little Gods of the Woods will chuckle and rub their hands and say, "Look, Brothers. An Archer! The Old Times are not altogether gone!"

Offline Bennyp

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #64 on: February 23, 2011, 11:04:00 PM »
I have a summit viper classic, lw alpha hangon and several hang ons. Now i bought a guido's web. Im excited to give it a try. So far, my favorite stand is the viper....even though its heavy, its like sitting in a soft recliner. I can sit for hours and hours comfortably.
The hardest way to do it is usually the right way to do it.

Offline LongbowGuy83

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #65 on: February 24, 2011, 07:56:00 AM »
I had a LW sit n climb for about 3 months. Felt like I was sitting in a church pew. You sit at almost a perfect 90 degrees. There was some sdjustment but not much. Now, as for being quiet, it was the quietest one I've ever climbed in. But for comfort, I would choose the Summit Viper as well. I have the steel version so it's about 6 pounds heavier but I usually only hike about a mile so it's not so bad. But, if you don't keep the seat a little lower, the shooting bar will affect your bow. Maybe it could be took off? I've been meaning to go downstairs and look at it. Anyone know?
Caleb Chambers
Carolina Traditional Archers

Offline Jeff Mundy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #66 on: February 24, 2011, 10:18:00 AM »
If I have to carry it in & out i'll take my Tree Saddle every time. Some of those big cushy Summits sure are nice to sit in though.

Offline huntingarcher

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #67 on: February 24, 2011, 10:32:00 AM »
I second the Gorilla King Kong,for all day setting you have to have comfort seat arm rests and a foot rest.For climbers I use the Old-Man,the biggest one.I am 6' 250# needs lots of room.
IF MONEY TALKS MINE SAYS GOODBY

Online Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
« Reply #68 on: February 24, 2011, 03:38:00 PM »
I generally use LW Assault hang ons (the small ones) and the hand climber.  Most of them have the old 2-inch foam cushion seats, which I find comfortable enough for all day sits.  During the rut, I'll often sit dark to dark several days on end.  Butt get's pretty sore after a while, but I don't think there's much that an be done about that.  Like Whip, I've also begun to use a few ladder stands on my own land.  The platforms aren't necessarily any larger or more comfortable, but once set up, they're the quickest and quietest to get into and out.

Offline head_hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #69 on: February 24, 2011, 03:42:00 PM »
I love my Lone Wolf Alpha Hang On. You can set it up in any tree and they are super quiet, especially when the snow comes. No cracking platform to scare the game away
There's more to hunting than taking a trophy.......Enjoy everything the woods have to offer

Offline whitetail_downer100

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #70 on: February 24, 2011, 03:49:00 PM »
Lone Wolf is my favorite, Alpha Sit'n'Climb but I really enjoyed my grand slam supreme archery hunter as well.
-Captain Logan A. Giger-
USMC
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take... but sometimes thats ok"

Offline BWD

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #71 on: February 24, 2011, 04:26:00 PM »
I'll let you know if I ever find one.
"If I had tried a little harder and practiced a little more, by now I could have been average"...Me

Offline VTer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #72 on: February 24, 2011, 06:13:00 PM »
Sunrise to Sunset! Aint no way.
Schafer Silvertip 66#-"In memory", Green Mountain Longbow 60#, Hill Country Harvest Master TD 59#

"Some of the world's greatest feats were accomplished by people not smart enough to know they were impossible."
    - Doug Lawson.

Offline Two Wolves

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #73 on: February 24, 2011, 08:48:00 PM »
I have a Timber Tall that I have spent many a sunrise to sunsets in but my next one will probably be either a Summit or Lone Wolf.
Striker Stinger
58" 50#@28

There is a cabin full of dreams in the backwoods of my mind.

Offline Cyclic-Rivers

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #74 on: February 24, 2011, 09:13:00 PM »
One that I wont fall out of   :readit:    ;) .
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member
Wisconsin Traditional Archers

>~TGMM~> <~Family~Of~The~Bow~<

Offline Stixbowdrew

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #75 on: February 25, 2011, 11:42:00 AM »
cant beat the lone wolf alpha hang on and the climbing stick super easy and fast to set up also lightwieght for pack in ddep into public land to get away from the crowds. i can go from ground to hunting in 7 minutes. love the system yeah it gets a little uncomfortable on those all day sits but Summit makes the trophy chair and if im gonna sit all day i will use that in conjunction with the LW. Good luck in your choice if you pick a LW you will not be disapointed.
All we have to decide is what to do with the time given to us.

www.selwayarcheryproducts.com

Offline Cootling

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #76 on: February 25, 2011, 07:21:00 PM »
Lone Wolf Alpha Assault for me.  Portability is high on my list of priorities as I hang my stands and take them down the same day, and often hang 2 (1 for my little hunting partner).  Not as big as some others, but I don't need more space.

Offline kadiak kid...

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #77 on: February 25, 2011, 08:46:00 PM »
summit bushmaster climber for long day sits...
Cya at Deer Camp(WN)...

Offline Steve Chappell

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #78 on: February 26, 2011, 04:19:00 PM »
Lone Wolf Alpha hang on or sit and climb...quiet in all temps, light enough to take anywere and expensive but worth it. There are so many places that carry them now that you can find some deals at the end of the hunting season as stores try to make room for the next season item.
AKA - Huntfun
Professional Bowhunters Society-Regular Member
Compton Life member
Michigan Longbow Association
Michigan Traditional Bowhunters
Backcountry Hunters & Anglers

Offline Birdbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #79 on: March 05, 2011, 06:51:00 AM »
Hang on - Lone wolf can't be beat, IMO. But @ 57 yrs. young have pretty much gone to ladder stands even though they're somewhat limiting as less portable.Good luck this season!
Unadulterated truth is not pablum.

A simplification of means and an elevation of ends is the goal. Antoine de St.-Exupery

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©