3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: "Stolen" Stand  (Read 879 times)

Offline bama

• Trad Bowhunter
"Stolen" Stand
« on: April 13, 2009, 10:59:00 AM »
I hope that this will help someone in the future.  I recently sold a tree stand through the Tradgang Classifieds. I spoke with a man on the telephone and agreed on a price of $210 including shipping.  He gave me the impression that he was a decent, honest guy and I (in retrospect stupidly) shipped the stands on his word that he would mail me a check.  He claimed that he was an officer in his state's bowhunting association.  That was a month ago.  I have never received payment.  I spoke to him once a number of weeks ago and he said it must have been lost in the mail and that he would send me another one.  I never got it so I sent him a letter, left him phone messages, and sent him a private message.  In each of these I asked for payment and I even offered to pay return UPS shipping if he had changed his mind.  He has not answer any of my messages. I know that he received my private message through Tradgang because the website conirms that it was read by recipient.
In my mind there is no difference in what he has done than stealing.
The lesson is obvious - don't ship prior to receiving payment.

Norman

Offline SCATTERSHOT

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: "Stolen" Stand
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2009, 11:05:00 AM »
have you contacted the state bowhunting association? They would probably take a dim view of these shenanigans whether he was an officer or not, representing himself as one.
"Experience is a series of non - fatal mistakes."

Offline mwmwmb

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2009, 11:05:00 AM »
Wow, not what you would expect from the gang. sorry to hear I dont know what to say. maybe this guy will do the right thing.

Offline wtpops

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2009, 11:12:00 AM »
I would like to know his Tradgang handle so i can avoid doing business with him.
TGMM Family of the Bow
"OVERTHINKING" The art of creating problems that weren't even there!

Offline David Mitchell

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2009, 11:28:00 AM »
bama, hope you get this worked out. I always feel a bit of a dilemma selling/buying from the classifieds.  Trust has to be practiced on somebody's part.  If I insist on payment first, then I am asking others to do what I am unwilling to do.  Trusting others for payment is really no different than asking them to trust you for the merchandise.  Not sure what the answer is, but I have continued to trust fellow TradGangers and normally ship stuff on their word that they will forward payment.  So far no problem as they have all been great guys to deal with, but as your experience shows, it can happen.
The years accumulate on old friendships like tree rings, during which time a kind of unspoken care and loyalty accrue between men.

Offline Friends call me Pac

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2009, 11:34:00 AM »
On another site I visit there is a list of folks that have made deals and everything went smooth.  Maybe we need something along those lines.

I have yet to make a deal for an item that didn't go smooth as silk on TG other than the "Too many hogs" fiasco.

Bama you say don't ship prior to payment.  I've been on the other end where I sent $500 and hopped I wasn't getting ripped off.  I understand your point but it works both ways.
USAF Retired '85-'05

An old hand me down recurve sparked the fire, Trad Gang fanned the flames.  There is no stopping now.  Burn baby burn!

Offline bama

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2009, 12:06:00 PM »
You are right about it goes both ways.  At the same time this deal happened I sold another stand to a gentleman in Michigan that went smooth as silk.

Offline zwickeyman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2009, 12:28:00 PM »
That's a bummer. Hope things work out for you. I never wait for payment, I always ship as soon as the deal is done. I just sent a 1100.00 bow before payment, I'm just not going to worry about it. I hope I didn't just jinx myself.

Dave

Offline La. bowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2009, 12:34:00 PM »
I wish you would post the handle of this person so no one else would do business with him. I have bought and sold a good deal of stuff in the classified section without a problem so far. I have been on the recieving end and the sending end of a SLOOOOOW US postal service and had a few anxious moments but everything worked out OK. Trust is a must with the transactions we do here and everyone needs to know if we have someone here who is untrustworthy.
La. Bowhunter trad archery addict

Offline ishiwannabe

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2009, 12:39:00 PM »
Sounds like you did everything you could, short of getting the authorities involved.

I would like to hope it is simply a slow PO, and that maybe another factor is the cause...wishful thinking I guess.

As for me, I have yet to have any issues whatsoever while dealing with fellow tradgangers.

Best of luck.
"I lost arrows and didnt even shoot at a rabbit" Charlie after the Island of Trees.
                         -Jamie

Offline bama

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2009, 12:41:00 PM »
I left him a phone message and a tradgang email this morning.  I plan to keep trying and give him this week to respond but then will ask Tradgang Administrators permission to post his name and handle.

Online Over&Under

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: April 13, 2009, 12:44:00 PM »
Originally posted by wtpops:
I would like to know his Tradgang handle so i can avoid doing business with him.
-Ditto-

I have had deals go south on me as well and know how you feel, it is a shame people treat others this way.
“Elk (add hogs to the list) are not hard to hit....they're just easy to miss"          :)
TGMM

Offline CCWhitetail

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: April 13, 2009, 12:47:00 PM »
Thats a bummer.
Sorry to hear that, and hope it works out.
I'd be willing to bet that he is not
an organizational Officer that he claims to be.
Maryland Bowhunters Society

Offline Cinghiale

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: April 13, 2009, 12:56:00 PM »
Sorry for what happen to you !!  I think such persons has to be banned from our gang...Honesty and spirit of cameradie has to be high in count.
Aniway is the same thing if you send money first no one can guarantee to receive what you are expecting for.

That's a real No No.   "[dntthnk]"  

Army

In memory of my old hunting partner Silberio : VIVA MARIA !

Offline JRY309

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: April 13, 2009, 01:00:00 PM »
That happened to me and a few other members here about 2 years ago.A new member just registered and put about 5 items up in the classifieds and listed himself as a police officer.I sent him money for a TH quiver,and I never recieved anything.I ship sometimes before recieving money but after getting burnt a few times it just leaves a bad taste.

Offline AKmud

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: April 13, 2009, 01:03:00 PM »
Bummer that happened, the mods should at least ban him from this site.  I help moderate an Alaskan site and that is the action we have taken when/if someone shafts another member in the classfieds.  There shouldn't be any tolerance for that kind of swindling.     :knothead:

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: April 13, 2009, 01:06:00 PM »
I have bought some bows ,traded some stuff,and sold some bows, and so far all the people I have delt with have been fair, honest and above board.I hope that trend continues and your case was  an isolated case. Maybe he'll still come thru,,hope so!!
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Offline frassettor

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: April 13, 2009, 01:49:00 PM »
Did you contact Tery Green and let him know about the situation?
"Everything's fine,just fine". Dad

Offline joekeith

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: April 13, 2009, 02:26:00 PM »
I thought the big thing here was Respect.  Sure doesn't sound like this guy is showing you any Respect.

Offline bama

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: April 13, 2009, 04:10:00 PM »
I just sent the guy one last private message saying:

"I regret to do it but see "Stolen Stand" post on Tradgang website. Let me know if I put down anything that was not totally true.
God bless you."

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©