3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Is this bow safe to shoot?  (Read 377 times)

Online AlanF

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Is this bow safe to shoot?
« on: April 14, 2009, 07:19:00 PM »
Just received this bow and had big plans for it as my temporary bow until my Shrew is ready a year from now.  It is a Shakespeare Sierra 40#@28.  Upon examining the bow I notice a few small cracks in the self one of which goes through the shelf.  It appears to have been filled with either super glue or epoxy(?).  Do you think this is safe to shoot or should I try to send it back?  Otherwise the bow is in great condition and a very handsome bow.  Thanks, Alan.

"You uncovered your bow, you called for many arrows." Habakkuk 3:9

Offline bowhunterfrompast

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Is this bow safe to shoot?
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2009, 07:26:00 PM »
Go to trad history/collecting..they have some great guys over there that would have the answer.

Maybe one of them will come along over here..but your best bet is over there  :readit:
Rick Wakeman
UBM Lifetime Member
American Broadhead Collectors Club

Offline **DONOTDELETE**

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2009, 07:54:00 PM »
get some CA/super Glue the watery kind and put it in the cracks the best you can. If You can open them up a little before putting the glue on them would be better.

Offline Dave Bulla

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2009, 02:34:00 AM »
Following the grain like that across the shelf to me, would not be an issue especially if it's already been filled.  If not, the thin super glue and a clamp for about 5 minutes should do it.  Now, if that crack was down in the actual grip I'd be concerned but the shelf isn't there for anything but holding up the arrow.
Dave

I've come to believe that the keys to shooting well for me are good form, trusting the bow to do all the work, and having the confidence in the bow and myself to remain motionless and relaxed at release until the arrow hits the mark.

Online AlanF

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2009, 05:56:00 PM »
Thank guys for the pointers.  It sure is a nice little bow except for the cracks.  

Alan
"You uncovered your bow, you called for many arrows." Habakkuk 3:9

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©