3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Fun Boat Hunt Today  (Read 596 times)

Offline RC

• Trad Bowhunter
Fun Boat Hunt Today
« on: April 15, 2009, 12:48:00 AM »
Brother John invited me on a River Hunt today. He is a very good friend and the best swamp hunter for pork I know.Its always a learning experience for me to hunt with him even after a lot of years of hunts together.He has hunted the section of River we would be on for over 35 years. We would be hunting public land and some prime public land to boot.

Brother John...Captain of the boat...

"Smokey" one of three longbows John hunts with. 45@28 and 66" long.Best I could count it has over 30 pig kills and a dozen or so deer and is only four years old .

The best thing about Smokey....

Offline RC

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Fun Boat Hunt Today
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2009, 12:52:00 AM »
We headed up River and pulled in to Mongomery Lake but could find no dry land...Did I mention the River is flooded..

Left there and headed even farther up River. Here is a couple of pics taken along the way...A Mississippi Kite..

Someones shelter is a bit flooded

Offline RC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2009, 01:00:00 AM »
We pulled in to the "Blue Hole" a place where the Crappie fishing is really good as well as bass fishing. We followed a slough I have walked on dryer times and killed a lot of pork on and pulled up to a high ridge. Another buddy Michael Lightsey pulled in with his boat as well . Michael hunts with a longbow as well. We caught the wind and spread out a bit to comb the ridge for pork. Michael squeeled like a school girl and was turning white. I walked over to him and he had stepped inches from a Copperhead . He did not have on snake boots today but I`m willing to bet he will next time. his rubber boots with pants inside saved him from being bitten.You can hardly see the rascals in the leaves.

Careful he aint dead.I`m hunting with a bow Marty Thompson..Apex made for me. No name yet it has to earn one or should I say "we" have to earn it one.

Offline RC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2009, 01:07:00 AM »
This fella was a bit nicer..

We got on three groups of pigs today and managed to mess every one of them up. I missed the easiest shot I can remember missing today. I managed to sneak to within 15-18 yards of a fine sow and rushed my shot when I felt the wind on my neck. Bottom line is I did`nt pick a spot and cut hairs from her back...Needless to say I was mad.I shot probably 50 shots at leaves and stumps after that and did`nt miss any more than an inch or two.
   Thank You Lord for a safe hunt with a good Friend. God willing I`ll do it again soon.RC

Offline fido dog

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2009, 01:27:00 AM »
Sooooo.........let me get this straight???

I worked 13hrs today and you rolled down a river?

How did you mess up again???LOL!!

Looks like a great day!     :bigsmyl:
A politician who acts foolishly may NOT be acting!

Offline zwickeyman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2009, 01:31:00 AM »
It's a bummer we don't have pigs here in Washington but then again it's good we don't have Copperheads. I envy you guys being able to hunt year round. Good hunting.

Offline Benny Nganabbarru

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2009, 03:03:00 AM »
That is so cool! Thanks for sharing!
TGMM - Family of the Bow

Offline Chris Surtees

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2009, 05:26:00 AM »
Looks like y'all had a great trip. Thanks for taking us along and sharing your pix.

Offline Apex Predator

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2009, 05:27:00 AM »
That's a great hunt Robert!  Those copperheads are getting to be worth some money.  They sure are pretty on a bow.
I didn't claw my way to the top of the food chain to eat vegetables!

Offline Kingwouldbe

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2009, 12:02:00 PM »
RC, I'd miss to if I had Copperheads lurking around me   :scared:    I think I'll stick to our mountain pigs, at lest the only poisonous snake rattles so ya can steer clear.

A tip of the camo hat from one Hog-a-holic to another.    :archer:

Offline Jerry Wald

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2009, 12:33:00 PM »
Very cool story - love the snake part - I grew up in Kamloops bc with rattlers...saw lots.

Down in southern alta there are lots too.

Anyway have always loved snakes

jer Bear

Offline Ian johnson

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: April 15, 2009, 01:19:00 PM »
my buddy and I were pig hunting a couple days ago in the swamp when he stepped over a log and i yelled SNAKE!, there was a four foot cotton mouth coiled up about one foot behind his back leg, we shot it cause we dont like poisinous snakes and we want to wrap some arrows with it
ARTAC member
53@29 sheepeater shaman recurve
52@29 66 bear grizzly
51@29 dryad orion td longbow

Offline maineac

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: April 15, 2009, 01:46:00 PM »
Thanks for sharing.  I hope I spot any snakes before I step on them next week.
The season gave him perfect mornings, hunter's moons and fields of freedom found only by walking them with a predator's stride.
                                                              Robert Holthouser

Offline RC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: April 15, 2009, 01:56:00 PM »
Maineac, I would highly recommend a pair of zip up Redhead snake boots. They are on sale at bass pro for 89 bucks right now and wear really good.You prolly won`t see a snake but it would make for a really bad year if you got bit.RC

Offline Apex Predator

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: April 15, 2009, 02:29:00 PM »
With the water so high right now the snakes have to climb on the ridges with all the other critters.  I think the hogs eat most of them when it floods, but I saw a black racer and a rat snake Sunday.

I'm gonna hit them hard this weekend befoe Robert pulls too far ahead of me.  My freezer is gettin low!
I didn't claw my way to the top of the food chain to eat vegetables!

Online ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: April 15, 2009, 02:58:00 PM »
Do you guys eat pork every nite or what!!
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Offline fountain

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: April 15, 2009, 08:46:00 PM »
Originally posted by RC:
Brother John invited me on a River Hunt today. He is a very good friend and the best swamp hunter for pork I know.Its always a learning experience for me to hunt with him even after a lot of years of hunts together.He has hunted the section of River we would be on for over 35 years. We would be hunting public land and some prime public land to boot.

Brother John...Captain of the boat...

"Smokey" one of three longbows John hunts with. 45@28 and 66" long.Best I could count it has over 30 pig kills and a dozen or so deer and is only four years old .

The best thing about Smokey....

man!!! that is one fine looking longbow!  i would be willig to bet all $2 that i have, that it is a great shooting bow as well!  :D    :notworthy:  
so rc, when is your next adventure bring you close to glenwood?

Offline RC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: April 15, 2009, 09:21:00 PM »
I`m gonna try and get over there in a week or so TJ. That is the "sister" to the bow you have. They are good shooters no doubt. John has three of them.RC

Offline bigbellybuck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: April 15, 2009, 09:36:00 PM »
looks like a lot of fun
I don't have a problem.  I can quit deer hunting anytime I want.

Offline Shinken

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: April 15, 2009, 09:48:00 PM »
Thanks for taking us on another great outing RC!

Glad that everyone made it back safely!

Hopefully, you'll *anchor* some PORK on the next outing - there ya go - here is a possible name for that sweet lookin' APEX -

THE PORK ANCHOR....

In His grip, Shinken
"The measure of your life will be the measure of your courage."

TRUTH is TRUTH
even if no one believes it

A LIE is a LIE
even if everyone believes it

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©