3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Best Recurve?  (Read 1213 times)

Offline pintail_drake2004

• Trad Bowhunter
Best Recurve?
« on: April 15, 2009, 01:42:00 AM »
Hello gents. I am looking to get a recurve (or 2) here before too long and i was wondering what are some of the best ones out there. Price is of no concern. I know with skills you can shoot just as well with a cheap recurve as you can with an expensive one so i want some input. I just want it to be quiet, shorter then my longbow, and pleasing to the eye. and preferably not a whole lot of writing, and other junk on it

Offline TomMcDonald

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Best Recurve?
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2009, 02:02:00 AM »
Dryad Orion.

Offline Benny Nganabbarru

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2009, 03:01:00 AM »
The absolute best recurve in the whole wide world?

That's easy!

It's the one you're holding in your hands as you walk-up to the dead animal you've just killed with it.

Pick one you like the looks of, then do a search here on TradGang's PowWow to find what others are saying about them.
TGMM - Family of the Bow

Offline Curveman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2009, 06:16:00 AM »
Border Black Douglas Swift.
Compliance Officer MK,LLC
NRA Life Member

Offline Mechslasher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2009, 06:35:00 AM »
james parker makes some of my favorite designs.

http://www.huntworthyproductions.com/index.html
"There is beauty and magic in a drawn bow."

Cade (SC)

Offline Whip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2009, 06:50:00 AM »
The answers to questions like this are always the same.  I'm going to tell you RER Bows of course.  The next person will tell you something else. And on it goes until just about every recurve being built has been mentioned, and you are right back where you started.

The real answer, and the honest one, is that it is a personal decision for each of us, and what is best for one is not best for another.  If there really were one "best" recureve it wouldn't be long before the rest were out of business. The truth is that there are a wide variety of very good bows, and every one of them is best for someone.

By far the best thing you can do is to get to some traditional shoots and have a look at some different bows.  Is there any way you could get to the Compton shoot in June?  You will find more bows than you can imagine, and you can shoot each and every one of them until you find the best recurve for you.
PBS Regular Member
WTA Life Member
In the end, it is not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. Abraham Lincoln.

Offline KentuckyTJ

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2009, 07:36:00 AM »
Originally posted by Ben Kleinig:
The absolute best recurve in the whole wide world?

That's easy!

It's the one you're holding in your hands as you walk-up to the dead animal you've just killed with it.

Pick one you like the looks of, then do a search here on TradGang's PowWow to find what others are saying about them.
Ben has hit it on the head. It took me three years of buying and selling to find the "Perfect" bow for me, I actually found two of them. We are all different with various tastes and needs.

Good luck
T.J.
www.zipperbows.com
The fulfillment of your hunt is determined by the amount of effort you put into it  >>>---->

Offline overbo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2009, 07:40:00 AM »
TRY'UM ALL,CAUSE YOU MIGHT MISS A GOOD'UN

Offline Rodd Szmania

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2009, 07:51:00 AM »
Try RER Bows!

Offline Plumber

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2009, 08:05:00 AM »
take a look at blacktailbows.com The real deal is this question can not be anwsered. we can only provied you with bowyers you may not be aware of.It will just give you more to choose from. but these days there are just too many good ones to choose from.It could come down to how you liked the guy when you talked to him on the phone.

Offline Killdeer

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2009, 08:20:00 AM »
Whip is dead on the money. This question comes up a lot on here, and my stock answer is just what Whip said. With the shoots starting up in earnest now, you would be doing yourself a disservice by not going to them and learning what is out there before diving into a bow purchase.

Killdeer   :wavey:
Long, long afterward, in an oak I found the arrow, still unbroke;
And the song, from beginning to end, I found again in the heart of a friend.

~Longfellow

TGMM Family Of The Bow

Offline leatherneck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: April 15, 2009, 08:31:00 AM »
If you want one to start shooting then pick up a cheap one on the classifieds. Then shoot as many as you can during the summer. When you find the one for you, well, you'll know.

Mike
“I can accept failure, everyone fails at something. But I can’t accept not trying"

Proud shareholder of MK,LLC

Offline Killdeer

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: April 15, 2009, 08:32:00 AM »
That would work!

Killdeer   :D
Long, long afterward, in an oak I found the arrow, still unbroke;
And the song, from beginning to end, I found again in the heart of a friend.

~Longfellow

TGMM Family Of The Bow

Offline mike hall

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: April 15, 2009, 08:39:00 AM »
Lots of great bows out there but make sure to try a Silvertip before you decide. They are very very nice and fit your criteria.

If you get a chance to shoot a few models you'll know pretty quickly what's right for you.
  :campfire:

Offline Renaissance Man

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: April 15, 2009, 08:52:00 AM »
The comments above are true, many good bows out there.
One thing I would say you definetly should try is any Damon Howatt/Martin  right up to the ones being made now.
Take some of the most coveted bows today such as Jack Howard bows, Silver Tips etc. and you will see a Damon Howatt Hunter with fine woods etc.
My recommendation to those coming into recurves is do yourself a favor, shoot a Hunter, new or old, used or off the shelf and then shoot others and decide for yourself.
You may find as thousands have that you can get the finest performing recurve for a very reasonable price and spend you money on licenses and expenses for a nice trip to the Mountains for Elk or big Whitetails.

Offline Buckeye Trad Hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: April 15, 2009, 09:35:00 AM »
What whip said !!

Offline Schultzy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: April 15, 2009, 12:11:00 PM »
Originally posted by Whip:
The answers to questions like this are always the same.  I'm going to tell you RER Bows of course.  The next person will tell you something else. And on it goes until just about every recurve being built has been mentioned, and you are right back where you started.

The real answer, and the honest one, is that it is a personal decision for each of us, and what is best for one is not best for another.  If there really were one "best" recureve it wouldn't be long before the rest were out of business. The truth is that there are a wide variety of very good bows, and every one of them is best for someone.

By far the best thing you can do is to get to some traditional shoots and have a look at some different bows.  Is there any way you could get to the Compton shoot in June?  You will find more bows than you can imagine, and you can shoot each and every one of them until you find the best recurve for you.
Very well said!!!

My biggest problem In buying a bow Is not being able to see them 1st hand. There's a good chance I'd own a few different T/D recurves If I could get a feel for one and see It In person. The RER would definitely be on that list.

Back to what the OP asked just get out there and get what feels good In your hand. What feels good for you might not feel good for the next and vise versa. Good luck!!

Offline MI_Bowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: April 15, 2009, 12:13:00 PM »
The one you have the most confidence with!
"Failure is an attitude, not an outcome."  -Harvey Mackay

:archer:               MikeD.

Offline RC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: April 15, 2009, 02:01:00 PM »
I`ve been through tons of recurves and I alwys say the best two I`ve owned were the cheapest and most expensive. I`ve owned a Jeffery for 20+ years and could count the times I`ve missed big game with it on one hand and a couple of Widows I`ve owned were Super. I`m lusting for a Widow MAII right now.....Hope the wife don`t see this.RC

Offline Danny Roberts

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: April 15, 2009, 02:35:00 PM »
Check out Herwaybow.com in Irvington, Ky.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©