3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Best Recurve?  (Read 1214 times)

Offline Big Ed

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Best Recurve?
« Reply #20 on: April 15, 2009, 03:02:00 PM »
I agree with what the fellows posted previously. Find the one that fits you. Whether it is the fit to your hand or the bowyers personality. There are so many quality bows out there and great bowyers to boot. Try zipping through our sponsor links, most have a website and most would be grateful to help you over the phone.  Might be able to find one close enough to visit. Hope I helped, enjoy whatever you choose and post some pics for us. Ed
"Get kids involved in the outdoors"

Offline michigan bill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: April 15, 2009, 03:42:00 PM »
I sure agree with the Renaissance Man.  I just bought a 1972 Damon Howatt Hunter off Trad Gang and am using it for 3-D shoots.  It is easily my all-time favorite shooting bow; and I make it a point to shoot as many of the guys' bows as I can at our shoots.
There's a fellow up in Raton New Mexico who makes the Double BB Bows - they are really smooth shooting!
Bill
I'm just happy to be here!

Offline BD

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: April 15, 2009, 03:53:00 PM »
Lots of good ones out there. I've owned a bunch (including rer, palmer, rose oak, marriah, silvertip, martin, et,.) My favorites so far are Habu, Assenheimer, and the Hoyt Dorado. The Hoyt Dorado and Gamemaster will shoot with any custom bow out there IMO, and better than most.
BD

Offline Ray Hammond

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: April 15, 2009, 03:55:00 PM »
I have shot Zippers since 1989. I've owned other bows, and shot them from time to time, but the Zipper Bob Thompson built for me makes meat when crunch time comes.

I recommend as others have that you attend ATAR or Denton Hill if travel is possible this summer and make your selection when you have a chance to try all the different makers like Bob Morrison, Rose Oak, and many more who build great bows, that may or may not suit you.

Find a stock bow that works great...you'll be sure when he customizes it for you it will shine in your hands.

Best of luck.
“Courageous, untroubled, mocking and violent-that is what Wisdom wants us to be. Wisdom is a woman, and loves only a warrior.” - Friedrich Nietzsche

Offline hogdancer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: April 15, 2009, 04:01:00 PM »
I like a Dale Dye and a "Hogdancer" bow, build one yourself, it's not that hard and you can make it the way you want. It won't be cheaper to build your own though.
PBS regular Member,
but most importantly father to my two girls !
The strongest reason for the people to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against the tyranny of government _Thomas Jefferson

Offline mcgroundstalker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: April 15, 2009, 04:35:00 PM »
All this Trad Stuff is about having fun... Right? So if price is of no concern (like it can be for me, sometimes) Get out there and try alot of bows. Or buy 'em and sell 'em. That's fun too.

When I got myself a Black Widow TFV I thought it was the bow to end all bows. Great recurve but the following three (or was it four)   :rolleyes:   purchased used, in total, cost what one new custom bow would.

Tell yourself ya got the bug and go for it!

... mike ...

Kohannah Recurve, Whisperstik Mojo Stik, BW TFV, Bear Grizzly '67, Martin Dream Catcher are some of the ones I dig.
"Be faithful in small things because it is in them that your strength lies"

Offline pintail_drake2004

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: April 15, 2009, 06:39:00 PM »
Thank you gents for the replies. IS there any place in Southern IL, or IN where a feller could go to look at (and possibly try) a few?

Offline greenie

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: April 15, 2009, 06:45:00 PM »
The best advise I can give you is to buy a "like new" Blackwidow used. I've shoot a few and they are good shootin bows but never owned one. The main reason is how they hold there value. I'll bet you could sell it 10yrs. from now and never lose a dime. Few bows out there can make that claim.

Offline bayoulongbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: April 15, 2009, 07:00:00 PM »
This so easy , the one Im using at that moment, mark
"If you're living your life as if there is no GOD, you had  better be right!"

Offline ozy clint

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: April 15, 2009, 09:22:00 PM »
i'll put a plug in for bob lee.

i like ben kleinig's response  :thumbsup:
Thick fog slowly lifts
Jagged peaks and hairy beast
Food for soul and body.

Border black douglas recurve 70# and 58# HEX6 BB2 limbs

Offline DWT

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: April 15, 2009, 09:47:00 PM »
One of the best things you can do is try before you buy. Some boyers will send you a bow to try such as Dick Robertson. Give him your credit card # and pay for shipping and he will send you a bow to try, if you like it, buy it, or order a custom one, if not send it back. This is the smartest way before you lay out a grand for a bow. By the way I would also highly recomend his bows, functional artwork.

Offline Shawn Leonard

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: April 15, 2009, 10:06:00 PM »
RER, Robertson, Blacktails, Schafer, etc. Shawn
Shawn

Offline Jwilliam

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: April 15, 2009, 10:07:00 PM »
Try as many as you can before you make your decision. For me it's my Black Widow PSA and my Zipper SXT.

Bill

Offline Bob Sarrels

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: April 15, 2009, 10:08:00 PM »
Mine, naturally.
Now then, get your weapons ~ your quiver and bow ~ and go out to the open country to hunt some wild game for me.  Gen. 27.3

Offline Ontario Longbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: April 15, 2009, 10:16:00 PM »
Well,, Someone had to chime in with the obvious choice,, Widow,, Shot or owned them all over the last twenty years,, but none have the overall qualities that are timeless other than Black Widow. Love them or not a Great company to deal with, bullet proof construction, quick and quiet, my guess would be more Trad animals taken with Widows(with the exception of Bears)than any other Trad bow so far. JMHO ,, Frank
Black Coffee, Red Wine, Blue Waters, Green fields, Yellow sunsets,Whitetailed Deer,, All the Primary colors of Life ,,,.
I don't choose the deer, the deer chooses me.

Offline DesertDude

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: April 16, 2009, 01:56:00 AM »
The best is as many have stated, what fits you best.  For me after 20+ years and to many different bows to count ( ask anyone ) I went back to the bow I started with.

Martin Hunter..........
DesertDude >>>----->

US Navy (Retired)
1978-1998

Offline sweet old bill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: April 16, 2009, 05:48:00 AM »
If you are starting out I would have to recommend make time to go to the denton hill meeting / shoot in July and shoot as many bows as you can and the one that feels good in your hand and hits were you are picking that spot is the one to buy... If you want a new bow and want to get it now I sure can not say how happy I am with my checkmate bows and also a Martin hunter bow I have...not big prices, still best bang on your dollar spent...

A buddy gave me from 1971 a browning backpacker II bow that sold for $99 bucks back then, he never shot it and still is not a trad bowewr, he shoots compounds etc. BUt that bow was the best used bow I ever have had in my hand...

Bill

Bill
you should see how I use to shoot
Sand dune archers Myrtle beach SC
Senior archers of Oneonta NY

Offline wollelybugger

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: April 16, 2009, 07:32:00 AM »
For your first recurve i would go with a Martin bow, not to expensive and a real pleasure to shoot. The old Super Diablos and Dreamcatchers were great bows, so are the hunters. The Savannah is a great longbow that isn't too hard on the wallet. Old Bear kodiaks are another old bow that are great shooters.
  I would spend more on a bow if you see that you like shooting.

Offline TRAP

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: April 16, 2009, 08:43:00 AM »
Try a 57 Bear Kodiak or a great Northern Ghost.

Trap
"If you don't like change, you're going to like irrelevance even less" Gen. Eric Shinsheki

"If you laugh, and you think, and you cry, that's a full day, that's a heck of a day." Jim Valvano.

Offline Hartlines

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: April 16, 2009, 10:59:00 AM »
RER-get your hands on one and give it a try.
Good Luck!

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©