3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Best sharpener for single bevel  (Read 361 times)

Offline Henry Hammer

• Trad Bowhunter
Best sharpener for single bevel
« on: April 15, 2009, 09:01:00 AM »
I just got my first order of single bevel BH's and was wondering what is the best sharpening method? I know some of you guy's have tried them all so let me know your opinion good or bad. The BH's are Tusker 250 grain screw in models. I used a bastard file and created a good edge and then just finished it with a stone and that seemed to work pretty good. I am just worried about getting the same angle with the file.
"No man's opinion is any better than his background, his experience and his general common sense." Jack O' Connor

Offline Sharpster

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Best sharpener for single bevel
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2009, 09:19:00 AM »
Henry,

The angle you create with the file can be (and I would argue should be) slightly lower than the angle you use to finish up with the stones. The file is used to hog off the steel so that the stones can do the job they're supposed to do, which is polish. This is called a duplex bevel and will always result in a stronger cutting edge no matter what angle range we're talking about. Even my knives are done like this because I want them to stay sharp as long as possible.

Sharpening a single bevel is actually easier than a double once you understand the principle but, I'm too biased to offer my recommendation of a particular brand of sharpener.   :biglaugh:
“We choose to do these things, not because they are easy, but because they are hard” — JFK

www.kmesharp.com

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Jeremy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2009, 09:56:00 AM »
Originally posted by Sharpster:
I'm too biased to offer my recommendation of a particular brand of sharpener.    :biglaugh:  
I'm not.  Buy a KME   ;)
>>>-TGMM Family Of The Bow-->
CT CE/FS Chief Instructor
"Death is not the greatest loss in life.  The greatest loss is what dies inside us while we live." - Norman Cousins

Offline amar911

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2009, 10:24:00 AM »
I really like my KME!

Allan
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Steertalker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2009, 10:27:00 AM »
Either am I....get the KME BH sharpener!!!

Brett
"America is like a healthy body and its resistance is threefold:  its patriotism, its morality and its spiritual like.  If we can undermine these three areas, America will collapse from within."  Joseph Stalin

Offline Recurve50 LBS

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2009, 10:31:00 AM »
KME!
Larry W.

Member TANJ

NRA Life Member

56" 45#@28" Thunder Stick Mag
62" 45#@28" Turkey Creek Longbow
1966 42#@28" Bear Grizley

Offline BigCnyn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2009, 01:28:00 PM »
Lansky Diamond system...

Offline KentuckyTJ

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2009, 02:32:00 PM »
KME for me.
www.zipperbows.com
The fulfillment of your hunt is determined by the amount of effort you put into it  >>>---->

Offline tarponnut

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2009, 03:17:00 PM »
I use Curtis Keller's method (how-to section) and then finish it up with 30 light strokes with an All-sharp(by Magnus). Just looking at the head will shave your eyelashes off(sorry for the hyperbole).

Offline Ray Hammond

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2009, 03:57:00 PM »
Files are the best way to go, since you can carry one on you to touch up things in the field.

Failing that, KME gets my vote.
“Courageous, untroubled, mocking and violent-that is what Wisdom wants us to be. Wisdom is a woman, and loves only a warrior.” - Friedrich Nietzsche

Offline Henry Hammer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2009, 08:04:00 PM »
Thanks guy's, I was thinking that I needed the file to remove the extra metal and then finish with a stone at the correct angle. I appreciate all the input and will have to look into getting a KME or Lansky. Thanks again..Henry
"No man's opinion is any better than his background, his experience and his general common sense." Jack O' Connor

Offline J-dog

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: April 15, 2009, 08:40:00 PM »
I'm a file dude as well. little 8" mill B' file in the pack always. like em for 160 grizzles
Always be stubborn.

Captain hindsight to the rescue!

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©