3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Thinking of a Recurve - THoughts  (Read 293 times)

Offline tacomadm18

• Trad Bowhunter
Thinking of a Recurve - THoughts
« on: April 15, 2009, 11:35:00 AM »
So here's my deal,,, been shooting longbow for some time,,,, I shot O.K,,can hold my own,, shooting a Centaur longbow and love it,,,, here's where the confusion comes in,,,

I've been thinking of trying a recurve,,,(for while now) been eying  a one piece BW Recurve,,, but every time I get ready to pull the trigger I stop,,,,

** I guess some reasons are,,,
**** Don't want to have to relearn how to shoot,,,,
**** I like how light my longbow is,,,,
**** I like how quiet it is,,,,,,
**** If it's not broken don't fix it,,,,i.e, I like longbows,,, I like my bow why mess with a good combo,,,,,,

I shoot mostly for fun,, targets, 3-d,, leagues,,,,

anyway,,, any thoughts would be great,,, by the way,,, I'm sure some would say just try it,,, but if there's nothing to gain for me I'd rather just put that energy into my longbow shooting,,,,

thanks
  glen

Offline Killdeer

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Thinking of a Recurve - THoughts
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2009, 11:45:00 AM »
If you are shooting a Centaur, switching to recurve will be a snap. Centaurs typically have a pistol-style grip that is found on most recurves. The grip is the thing, and you can easily find a recurve with a grip that feels familiar. The other thing is the mass weight of the bow. A big, heavy-risered bow will surprise your bow arm. Some like them, some like wispier bows. Try a few out.

Killdeer
Long, long afterward, in an oak I found the arrow, still unbroke;
And the song, from beginning to end, I found again in the heart of a friend.

~Longfellow

TGMM Family Of The Bow

Online mjh

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2009, 11:59:00 AM »
I have three recurves and am very happy with them. Two from the same maker, I'm useually only shooting one seriously at any one time. I still would like one longbow.  Had one in the past and would like one in the future. I would like one I would shoot well but a longbow wound most likely not be my go to bow.  I say find a revurce you would be happy with.  Shoot it as much as you like.  Some adjustment to shooting any different bow but the basics are the same.  You could shoot two classes at 3D that have different classes.  Is there anything to gain??  I dounno?  It's up to the user.  Some like the wood, the feel, the flight of the arrow.  Some can pick up any bow and shoot suprising well, other need one bow for years to shoot well.  Try many bows before making a decision that's going to cost your some $$$.  Pretty doesnn't necessaryly mean good for you.  50's style recurves may be ligher in weight.

Offline KentuckyTJ

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2009, 12:05:00 PM »
There is something to gain. If you try it and don't like it you have eased your curiosity and can easily resell the bow on the classifieds. If you try it and like it there is nothing wrong with owning two kinds of bows although you will lose your purist status, LOL.

With that said, remember all bows of any type are not created equal. I have searched for three years looking for the qualities you have stated and others I like in a recurve. I have found two that meet all criteria and I just have a bond with.
www.zipperbows.com
The fulfillment of your hunt is determined by the amount of effort you put into it  >>>---->

Offline swampbuck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2009, 12:30:00 PM »
Go to Denton hill in July somebody will surely let you try their widow while they shoot your centaur

good luck
Shoot straight and have FUN!!

Offline mcgroundstalker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2009, 02:53:00 PM »
Why wait for Denton? Head over to Whittingham in a week or so. Look me up and I'll let ya shoot my TFV!

... mike ...  :archer:  ...
"Be faithful in small things because it is in them that your strength lies"

Offline schlaggerman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2009, 05:37:00 PM »
Can't go wrong with a Widow PTF. They're awsome shooters. They now have a longbow style grip available for the PTF, if that's your preference.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©