3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: New to TradGang, From North Dakota, need help with getting started  (Read 723 times)

Offline ARCHERXP

• Trad Bowhunter
hi everybody   :wavey:  

new here

I'm currently stationed at Minot AFB, ND.  I love archery.  I'm shooting compounds right now, but please don't hold that against me.

I'd like to get started in traditional archery.  I don't need anything fancy.  I'm not quite sure if I should go with a recurve or longbow.  

Bowhunting will be the main reason for shooting.  

If anybody has any suggestions, I'm all ears.  I know this is something I'm going to get into so I'd rather not start off with the economy models.

Thanks again!

Offline kingrider

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: New to TradGang, From North Dakota, need help with getting started
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2009, 05:51:00 PM »
My choice is a longbow,mainly because I hunt whitetail and the longbow is generally quieter.I like the reflex/deflex type longbow.Specifically the Toelke Whip--that is my goto bow,I tried alot and keep coming back to the Whip.Check them out at montanabows.com

Offline ARCHERXP

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2009, 06:01:00 PM »
I know a guy who knows the bowyer.  I looked at the website and the prices are a bit high.  But I hear a lot of good things about his bows.

How do the wooden bows compare to the fiberglass ones like the Hoyt Dorado?

Offline kingrider

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2009, 06:34:00 PM »
The aluminum riser bow--like the hoyts are a little more adjustable and most use some kind of rest.I just like wood tons better just because of the looks and feel.I like shooting off the shelf--gets the arrow down close to the bowhand.As far as price goes--keep an eye in the classifieds,sometimes you can find a Whip for around 450.Another tip would be is-don't go too heavy for your first trad bow.Learn how to shoot with a lighter bow and then move on.

Offline ARCHERXP

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2009, 07:05:00 PM »
thanks

i appreciate it

how do i find the spine for arrows

i hear a lot of people who shoot trad shoot really heavy arrows

i have a 28 inch draw and i'd like to shoot about 50# maybe 45#

what type arrow do i shoot? how long should my arrow be? how heavy?  what grain tip?

Offline kingrider

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2009, 07:39:00 PM »
I shoot carbon arrows.Carbon Express Heritage 150 to be exact.The arrow only needs to be 9 to 10 grains per pound of draw weight.My arrows are 31" long with a 125 grain point-they bareshaft straight.My draw is 50# and I draw 28".As far as length of arrows--I do a test called bareshafting to tell me the final length.It's not a hard thing to do--you should do a search about bareshafting and follow the instructions.this will tell you the length arrow you will need for that particular bow you shoot.

Offline Shifting Shadow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2009, 09:09:00 PM »
Welcome to Tradgang and North Dakota! I'm in Jamestown. I really don't know much about traditional archery but will help if I can. There are perhaps 4 other trad shooters in Jamestown.
"Keep the bow you like or you will be looking forever." -H.J.

One bow. One arrow. My ideal.

Offline tarponnut

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2009, 09:24:00 PM »
Check out the classifieds for either a longbow or recurve around 45 lbs.You should be able to find a good used bow for $200-300.
I'm partial to Martin(Savannah LB, Hatfield Recurve) and Bear(Grizzly) but there are a lot of great bow companies.Check the Trad gang sponsors, also.
Most bows are cut near center so you can shoot a fairly wide range of spines. I shoot Gold Tip carbons 35/55's 29"(27" draw)with a full length weight tube inside(heavy arrows penetrate better). Your draw length is usually a little shorter with a trad bow.
Good luck and have fun. Jim
PS Thank you for your service.

Offline ARCHERXP

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2009, 09:34:00 PM »
thanks for the input guys

Shifting Shadow, you're not flooded too bad in Jamestown are you?  I hope not.  Glad to see some other Nodakers around

I'm gonna go comb the classifieds section.  Hope to find something good.

Offline Shifting Shadow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2009, 09:23:00 AM »
ARCHERXP, thanks for asking about the flooding in Jamestown. If no major rain occurs we should be OK.

Yes, I agree about the Tradgang classifieds. It is a good place to look for used bows. And the prices have come down a lot.

Bismarck has a good archery scene. They built a new building for indoor shooting and have a outdoor range. Friendly bunch of shooters. You may want to contact Nishu Bowmen, Bismarck.
"Keep the bow you like or you will be looking forever." -H.J.

One bow. One arrow. My ideal.

Offline Friends call me Pac

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2009, 09:48:00 AM »
I got into trad last summer and was in the same boat as you.  Almost every question I had was answered with a search on the page.  

A recurve or long bow is a personal choice.  I have 4 recurves and 2 long bows.  Out of that batch I find myself shooting longbows more than the 'curves these days.  My long bows are made by Crow Creek and I love them.

Things you might search for info and how to:
Adjusting brace height
Bareshaft tuning
adjustable nocking point
footing carbon arrows
filing nocks
Terry's T clock
stump shooting
Close shots to develope form and muscle memory

I was able to switch from a 65 lb compound to a 50 pound trad bow pretty easily.  Took a little shooting but I got use to it fairly quickly.

I started at 10 yards and shot there until I was comfortable with it then I moved back to 15 then 20 and so on.

You are in for a fun time.  I find if I am shooting badly I take a break and go do something else for awhile.  Later I'll go back to shooting and most of the time my shots are much better.
USAF Retired '85-'05

An old hand me down recurve sparked the fire, Trad Gang fanned the flames.  There is no stopping now.  Burn baby burn!

Offline Jason Jelinek

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: April 16, 2009, 11:22:00 AM »
Welcome,

There should be at least a handful of trad archers up in Minot.  One of them makes bows (Martinson is his last name), get over to the archery club in town and make some contacts.  Come to Grand Forks on Saturday for the NDBA state shoot, at least 3 of us trad guys from Fargo will be there for the banquet at 7 pm.

I like longbows better, mostly because they can be made a bit quieter than recurves and I don't need a stringer to get them strung/unstrung.  Longbow limbs are less prone to twisting than recurves.  However, generally recurve risers have a bit more mass and a handle that points a little easier than a longbow and fit a lot of guys who are transitioning from a compound better.

Jason

Offline frank bullitt

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: April 16, 2009, 11:51:00 AM »
Welcome Carlos! Please take the time and go thru all of the forums on here. There is so much reading and great info. I only wish sometimes I had this when I started 30 some years ago. And then I think about the RIDE here! And do yourself a favor and get to one of those shoots or clubs and shoot everything you can. The people and this sport is so infectious, enjoy. Good Shootin' Steve

Offline ARCHERXP

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: April 16, 2009, 11:52:00 AM »
Shifting Shadow: I'm already a part of the Souris Valley Bowmens here in Minot.  Gonna try and make trad night, but I don't want to be a bother.  Glad things are okay in Jamestown.

Pac: Thanks for your service.  Us still on active owe a lot to the folks that came before us.  I've definitely been using the search engine.  Learning quite a bit.

Jason: I wish I could get down to Grand Forks on saturday.  I get back from the field that day and have my godson's birthday.  But I definitely try to make the 3d shoots when I can.

Offline Ybuck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: April 16, 2009, 02:25:00 PM »
Welcome!
Steve.

Offline Jason Jelinek

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: April 16, 2009, 02:49:00 PM »
I doubt you'll be a bother, I'm sure they'll be excited to have another trad archer join their ranks.  Most of us here in Fargo would bring an extra bow and arrows if we knew someone wanted to try one out, I'm sure they are the same in Minot.

Offline ARCHERXP

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: April 16, 2009, 07:31:00 PM »
I'm liking what I hear about Toelke's stuff

I'd like to shoot one before I get it though.

Offline Jason Jelinek

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: April 16, 2009, 09:41:00 PM »
I've shot a left-handed Toelke Whip, it was a nice bow.

Offline ARCHERXP

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: April 17, 2009, 08:04:00 PM »
Did I tell you fellas that Byron Ferguson is putting on an exhibition at Minot AFB?  We're putting on a 3d tournament, and he'll be our guest

Offline Jason Jelinek

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: April 17, 2009, 09:44:00 PM »
When is that?

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©