3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Anyone out there use climbing spurs to get up the tree?  (Read 1477 times)

Offline bigbellybuck

• Trad Bowhunter
Anyone out there use climbing spurs to get up the tree?
« on: April 15, 2009, 07:10:00 PM »
Thinking of trying a pair.
I don't have a problem.  I can quit deer hunting anytime I want.

Offline doug77

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Anyone out there use climbing spurs to get up the tree?
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2009, 07:15:00 PM »
Please don't. 2 reasons

1 they are VERY dangrous unless you are trained to use them.
2 they are not good for the tree's.

I have been in the tree trimming business for 22 year's and we haven't used spur's for the last 10 year's.

doug77

Offline ag-pilot

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2009, 07:59:00 PM »
I use them often. Can go back to trees from last year and really have to look to find gaff marks. Trees recover fast with no evidence of lasting effects.

Offline bigbellybuck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2009, 08:07:00 PM »
Thanks for the info. I have 2 buddies that have used them for years. They don't even use a climbing belt, which does seem VERY dangerous. Doug, what do you currently use to get to your treestand? a bucket truck?     ;)  sorry, couldn't resist

Offline RC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2009, 08:29:00 PM »
I know two fellas that use them and they are both deer killers. They pack a lightweight loc-on a longways in and pack their deer out feild quartered and in a back pack.I would try them but I`m awful clumsy.RC

Offline ozy clint

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2009, 08:34:00 PM »
went along with a guide oneday to recover a cat. he used them to get up there. i've thought about using them for putting up hang on stands.

Thick fog slowly lifts
Jagged peaks and hairy beast
Food for soul and body.

Border black douglas recurve 70# and 58# HEX6 BB2 limbs

Offline NightHawk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2009, 09:11:00 PM »
not recomended for hunting.I work for a power company as a lineman and have seen several people fall, resulting in some bad injuries. The thing about trees is you can't be sure the hooks are going through the bark into the heartwood, which opens the tree up to insect damage. You can also step into a place where the bark will slip off the tree resulting in a fall, or if you twist your ankle wrong or try to stand up in your hooks, you're in for a fall

It's your life if you want to live it in a wheel chair, then be my guest use the tree climbers. You could always shoot your bow by blowing into a tube  "[dntthnk]"    "[dntthnk]"
1) Gen. 21:20
And God was with the lad, he grew, and he dwelt in the wilderness, and he became an archer
2)The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline bigbellybuck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2009, 09:16:00 PM »
RC, my 2 buddies that use them are deer killers too, and they use lightweight loc ons.  I've seen them do it, and it looks like the hardest part is hanging the stand and gettin' on it. I've been thinking of trying a tree saddle or a guido's web, but if I have to carry in climbing sticks , or use pain in the butt screw in steps, what's the point? I may as well just use my climbin' stand

Offline bigbellybuck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2009, 09:21:00 PM »
Maybe I should listen to the experts   :banghead:

Offline MikeW

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2009, 09:23:00 PM »
I've been climbing telephone poles for close to 30 years. I'll concur with the warnings above, they aren't good for trees and they can be dangerous if you haven't been properly trained to climb in them.

But if you are going to do it anyways, they make gaffs for poles and gaffs for trees. Make sure you get tree gaffs. If you use pole gaffs it's not you might fall it's when will you fall.
Time is a great teacher, but unfortunately it kills all its pupils.

Offline MikeW

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2009, 09:25:00 PM »
went along with a guide oneday to recover a cat. he used them to get up there. i've thought about using them for putting up hang on stands.
Might just be a bad pic but I'd say he doesn't know how to climb from what I see.

Offline NoCams

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: April 15, 2009, 09:27:00 PM »
Simmons woodpecker drill and 18 grade 8 bolts that are 3/8" X8" and I am 18-20ft high with 4 of them 90 degrees apart at the top for my footplatform for my Guido's Web. Best part is the second time you hunt the tree you simply slip your bolts in the drilled holes and walk up the tree. I drill my holes on about a 10 degree angle where the bolts are slightly angled up even with my weight on them.

nocams  :campfire:
TGMM  Family of the Bow
"Failure to plan is planned failure"

Offline ozy clint

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: April 15, 2009, 09:30:00 PM »
admittedly he did not have a proper belt. i wouldn't now how to climb a tree unless a bear was after me.  :p
Thick fog slowly lifts
Jagged peaks and hairy beast
Food for soul and body.

Border black douglas recurve 70# and 58# HEX6 BB2 limbs

Offline MikeW

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: April 15, 2009, 09:40:00 PM »
^^^
Talking about his posture/stance. It's not right and a recipe to fall.

Offline bigbellybuck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: April 15, 2009, 09:41:00 PM »
thanks nocams, another guy recomended them to me. seems like a good system, I just like to hunt a lot of different trees.

Offline bigbellybuck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: April 15, 2009, 09:49:00 PM »
Linemen, I thought that if I wore a good climbing belt at all times, and learned how to use them, about the worst thing that could happen would be a painful skid partially down the tree. You guys obviosly know something I don't. Please clue me in. thanks

Offline NoCams

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: April 15, 2009, 10:00:00 PM »
I drill them before season, but not too soon or the holes will close up on you. If I have several trees to drill I will take a battery powered drill and a regular 3/8" wood bit to save some elbow grease and keep my woodpecker lasting longer. Simmons is closed I think so woodpeckers are going to be scarce. The beauty of the woodpecker is light weight and quiet for hunting a new tree for the first time. I can drill my holes, climb with my Guido and be settled in less than 30 minutes. Next time in that tree it only takes 5 minutes !

nocams  :coffee:
TGMM  Family of the Bow
"Failure to plan is planned failure"

Offline doug77

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: April 15, 2009, 10:06:00 PM »
if you slip and run one of those spikes into your foot/ankle/leg you will be NOT doing any hunting the rest of the season. I have personaly seen what happens when you gaff yourself. PLEASE DON'T DO IT.

doug77

Offline NightHawk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: April 15, 2009, 10:12:00 PM »
a linemans belt won't keep you from hitting the ground. I've seen many apprentices burn a pole some to the ground. If you are above a limb or something that will keep the belt from slidding then your okay, you wont hit the ground

They do have a new linemans belt on the market that is 100% fall proof but it's a piece of crap to climb with and to expensive to be practical

1) Gen. 21:20
And God was with the lad, he grew, and he dwelt in the wilderness, and he became an archer
2)The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline MikeW

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: April 15, 2009, 10:14:00 PM »
Linemen, I thought that if I wore a good climbing belt at all times, and learned how to use them, about the worst thing that could happen would be a painful skid partially down the tree.
That's pretty much true as long as you gaff back in. In a nutshell keep your body straight with your butt out a little(not like the guy in the pic hugging the tree with his head against it) keep your hands on the the sides of the tree. Make sure of your gaff before you stand on it. Always keep 3 contact points on the tree, meaning 2 gaffs and a hand or two hands and a gaff.. Obviously there is more too it than that but that's the basics. Next time you see some lineman on the side of the road(carry your stuff with you)ask them for a quick how to.

In the good old days we taught guys to climb by lighting the bottom of the pole on fire and we would put it out when we heard the bell ring that was 40' up the pole.

Of course that's not PC anymore.
    :D

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©