3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Double Bull Blinds  (Read 1328 times)

Offline Autumn Whitetails

• Trad Bowhunter
Double Bull Blinds
« on: April 15, 2009, 09:18:00 PM »
I was wondering if there is any advantages to Double Bull blinds compared to other cheaper blinds. Looking forward to everyone's feedback.

Thanks,
Marc
Autumn Whitetails

Offline Guru

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Double Bull Blinds
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2009, 09:42:00 PM »
Quality from every angle!
Curt } >>--->   

"I love you Daddy".......My son Cade while stump shooting  3/19/06

Offline flatlander37

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2009, 09:46:00 PM »
Like Guru said, quality.  Durability also.  Just my $.02
"Better to be thought a fool, than to open one's mouth and remove all doubt"-Abe Lincoln

Offline Bob Sarrels

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2009, 10:10:00 PM »
They are just better.
Now then, get your weapons ~ your quiver and bow ~ and go out to the open country to hunt some wild game for me.  Gen. 27.3

Offline Oliverstacy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2009, 10:10:00 PM »
I was fortunate…I had $400 in gift cards to work with so I went with a Double Bull Matrix “Recurve” addition special ordered through their custom order department.  I couldn’t be happier with it.

I don’t know if you can go wrong with several others like the Ameristep blinds or others in the category but the fabric on my DB is quiet compared to a lot of others out there.

I just got mine last spring and couldn’t be happier…I actually never considered buying another blind other than a Double Bull, just took me a while to get the money saved up.

I hunted out of a friends Matrix and was amazed at the quality compared to others I’d been in, no comparison…then again I’ve been in some cheap ones.

If you had the money saved you won’t be disappointed that is for sure…they cost a lot but they’re amazing.

Hunting in corn last fall for deer:

I was fortunate…I had $400 in gift cards to work with so I went with a Double Bull Matrix “Recurve” addition special ordered through their custom order department.  I couldn’t be happier with it.

I don’t know if you can go wrong with several others like the Ameristep blinds or others in the category but the fabric on my DB is quiet compared to a lot of others out there.

I just got mine last spring and couldn’t be happier…I actually never considered buying another blind other than a Double Bull, just took me a while to get the money saved up.

I hunted out of a friends Matrix and was amazed at the quality compared to others I’d been in, no comparison…then again I’ve been in some cheap ones.

If you had the money saved you won’t be disappointed that is for sure…they cost a lot but they’re amazing.

Hunting in corn last fall for deer:

Josh
Custom Flemish Strings by Oliverstacy!  
Kanati 60" 57@29"
AP Cumberland 66" 58@29"
WhisperStik KajikaStik 56" Recurve with Canebrakes...57@28"
WhisperStik KajikaStik aka "Wormy" RC & LB,both 55@29"
Martin Savannah 50@28"
Kota Kill-um 55@28"

Offline Frank V

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2009, 10:49:00 PM »
I bought a Double Bull last year & it is a lot higher quality than the cheaper blinds. The thing I really notice is it doesn't blow around like the cheaper ones I've seen. We have a lot of wind here & it keeps from making a lot of movement in the wind. It also comes with grommets in each corner to stake it down with. They are really high quality. Frank     :thumbsup:        :thumbsup:
U.S.A. "Ride For The Brand Or Leave."

Offline Widowbender

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2009, 10:54:00 PM »
I wish I had all the money back that I've spent on "other" blinds...I'd get another DB...

David
David

>>>>--TGMM-Family-of-the-Bow-->

Chatham County Chapter NWTF
Chapel Hill Friends of NRA

Offline korn stalker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2009, 09:07:00 AM »
Only way to go is "Double Bull", and that's no bull...

Notice the blind in the background....

Nebraska 2008, fall hen turkey, Rose Oak TD 53@28...     :archer:
Doug

Offline Jim Jackson

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2009, 10:21:00 AM »
I'll play devils advocate on this one for two reasons:

1.  Ease of setup
You need to watch the video and practice in the back yard multiple times before attempting to setup a DB in the field.  It isn't as simple as throwing it out of the bag and starting to pop things together.  The initial setup and arrangement of the hubs is critical.  If you get it wrong, the hubs and poles can break.  I've had it happen and seen it happen for many others.  
Perhaps its just an adjustment issue with the particular unit I have experience with.  Personally I have seen DB blinds cause more frustration and general cussing on setup than any other.  

2.  Overall Cost
The double bull fabric and design, especially on the inside once everything is setup is superior to the cheaper versions no doubt.  The issue is for 1/3 the cost you can get more or less the same basic platform. Sure doesn't sting as much if it gets stolen or torn up in a storm, etc.

Just my 0.2   I have a primos ground max that you can setup with your eyes closed.  Of course its the made in china generic version of the DB, and probably I now have lead poisoning from handling the poles and hubs and the fabric is leaching toxic chemicals...        :)
Blaze out your own trail.

Offline Morning Star

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2009, 10:31:00 AM »
Stoney,

What model?  My T-5 Recurve model is easy to setup.  Not trying to be a smart a$$, just wondering if the other models are more difficult?
The biggest thing I've noticed is just making sure the hubs don't get jammed together when breaking it down.
Iowa Bowhunters Association - Your voice in Iowa's bowhunting and deer hunting issues!

Offline huntnut

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2009, 11:00:00 AM »
I'll be getting a DB this year before deer season. Right now I have an Ameristep brickhouse, it sucks. Noisy, shinny matterial, windows are zipper and velcro. I'll be getting a Matrix or T2. Way better quility with the DB.
Bear Grizzly 50#@28

Offline Steel

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: April 16, 2009, 11:05:00 AM »
I have a Double Bull Dark Horse, T2,two Ameristep bully blinds,two groundmax blinds all in the woods right now. The DB blinds are built nicer and last longer period. Still I love my bully blinds because the are so light to carry and setup fast.My favortive blinds if I am on the move and carry a blind. Dollar for dollar I think the groundmax blind is hard to beat easy to set, mine are two years old and have been left out for 30-60 days at a time during turkey and deer season and still look pretty good I should get another year out of them I think before they need replacement. The double bull darkhorse is easy to setup if you watch the video but if not its like fighting a mad badger.

Offline Dustin Waters

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: April 16, 2009, 11:06:00 AM »
LOVE IT!!!

there is absolutely no competition when it comes to other blinds on the market.

Offline BD

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: April 16, 2009, 11:51:00 AM »
IMO the DB's are extremely overpriced. Are they better than the other primos blinds, probably slightly, but nowhere near double the cost better.
BD

Offline DaveBriner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: April 16, 2009, 02:21:00 PM »
Think of it this way, if you don't want to spend money on another blind for 10yrs or so, get a double bull.  If you don't mind replacing your blind a couple times in the same number of years, buy something else.

Anyone who has a problem setting up a double bull blind simply did not watch the video and practice.  Yeah, it takes some practice, but I'm talking like two evenings in a row for 10min each session.  After that, you can setup the blind in less than 30sec and take it down into a packed bag in 1min.

Best,
Dave
A man's worth can be determined by the number of friends at his funeral- unless they all hunt too!!

Offline Guru

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: April 16, 2009, 02:38:00 PM »
What Dave said, just a little practice is all it takes.....

I've been using DB's for 9 yrs. now...but honestly I've been able to open mine this fast since my first year...I did this for Biggie, but is show's how easy it is(this was the first time out of the bag since last fall....

If you follow the directions and practice a bit, there's absolutely no reason anybody couldn't do it....
Curt } >>--->   

"I love you Daddy".......My son Cade while stump shooting  3/19/06

Online Ybuck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: April 16, 2009, 03:06:00 PM »
Originally posted by Guru:
Quality from every angle!
i agree.
Steve.

Offline Oliverstacy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: April 16, 2009, 06:37:00 PM »
Watch the video on how to set them up...I did this waiting for my blind to come in the mail.  When I got it I took it out of the box and bag and had it up in no time flat.

Trick is to get the initial side up and then arrange the rest of the hubs way the video describes…you can’t go wrong when you do it that way.

Are they a lot of money…yes…are they worth it?  You’ll have to make that decision on what you’re willing to spend.  There are several in the $200 range that will work nicely, but I just saved for a while longer and got what I wanted.  Even though I had gift cards it took me almost a year to get enough saved up to get it.

I suggest going to a place that has a bunch set up and get in and out of all of them and make the decision after you do this.  Look at the quality of all models…I hunted out of a blind that flapped all over the place in a strong wind, it drove me nuts.  I was in my double bull on a very windy day and it didn’t move an inch, I had it staked down tightly.

Josh
Custom Flemish Strings by Oliverstacy!  
Kanati 60" 57@29"
AP Cumberland 66" 58@29"
WhisperStik KajikaStik 56" Recurve with Canebrakes...57@28"
WhisperStik KajikaStik aka "Wormy" RC & LB,both 55@29"
Martin Savannah 50@28"
Kota Kill-um 55@28"

Offline Missouri CK

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: April 17, 2009, 01:50:00 AM »
Dave and Curt,

Maybe I'm not a mechanical engineer but I would have to say that setting up/down a double bull isn't as simple as just watching the video.  I watched the video several times, called Double Bull, and I've still had intermittent problems. I've learned how to get the hubs right and keep the poles against the ground like the guys at Double Bull say and it can still get itself screwed up. I had multiple poles break after being out in the woods for only a day or two. I tried to make do with a shortened pole and kept having repeated failures. Had seams rip out on the pole sleeves.  Had the blind repeatedly pop in on itself while I was hunting even after repeated tightening of the tension straps.  

Eventually Double Bull installed poles with steel footings on them and admitted to me that pole failures are a common problem.

I've personally seen other including Charlie Lamb fight a Double Bulls so to say someone that has problems setting them up or taking them down "just hasn't watched the video" is certainly not accurate.

Are they a good product...Yes...Are they worth $150-200 more?  That is up for debate for me... someone who owns a Double Bull. Just my humble opinion.

Chris
Life ain't a dress rehearsal.

Offline Stone Knife

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: April 17, 2009, 05:23:00 AM »
I have never had a lick of trouble with my DB Matrix 360, quick to setup and high quality materials is what sells me on the DB. I was hunting out of an Ameristep penthouse, I was always afraid to set it up near turkey roost sights because it was cumbersome and noisy to setup. Also I never had a deer in shooting range till I used the DB, I shot my first deer from a blind using my 360.
Proverbs 12:27
The lazy do not roast any game,
but the diligent feed on the riches of the hunt.

John 14:6

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©