3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Double Bull Blinds  (Read 1327 times)

Offline Whip

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Double Bull Blinds
« Reply #20 on: April 17, 2009, 07:57:00 AM »
I'm kind of Chris's corner on this one.  I have a DB Matrix recurve model and I often struggle getting that first hub to pop into place.  Prior to this blind I've had two other DB models, and this one is the hardest to set up of the bunch.

No way can I just do it like Curt does in his video.  Maybe mine just isn't adjusted right or something, but it is way too tight to pop the hub up just from the weight of the blind like that.  I have to firmly plant the ends of the poles on the ground like they show in the DB video to get something to push against, and often they just slide away from me on hard ground.  It can be a struggle at times.

I also have had the blind pop in on itself as Chris described, even in fairly light winds.  That is solved by using all the tie downs of course, but that does make set up quite a lengthy process to get it staked in the corners and all the tie downs in place.  

Once set up the quality of DB is certainly apparant.  But I too have sure wondered about some of the far less expensive models out there now that look pretty good.  I'd like to hear from some owners of some of those newer copy cat models that are priced well less than half of the Double Bull.
PBS Regular Member
WTA Life Member
In the end, it is not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. Abraham Lincoln.

Offline Ron LaClair

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: April 17, 2009, 08:47:00 AM »
After reading the thread "Traditional Archery Products made in the USA", I was wondering, are just some of the DB blinds made in China or all of them?
We live in the present, we dream of the future, but we learn eternal truths from the past
When you were born, you cried and the world rejoiced. Live your life so that when you die, the world cries and you rejoice.
Life is like a wet sponge, you gotta squeeze it until you get every drop it has to offer

Offline Guru

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: April 17, 2009, 08:51:00 AM »
I don't know what to say fellas, I guess I've just been lucky with the three different DB's I've owned.

Like I said it does take some practice...

I do know the bigger dimensions of the recurve model add a little challenge, but I've opened them pretty easy as well.

I did loan mine to a guy once,with the dvd, and he broke two poles trying to get it set up. Then I showed up and showed him how to do it and he just shook his head    :banghead:
Curt } >>--->   

"I love you Daddy".......My son Cade while stump shooting  3/19/06

Offline Whip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: April 17, 2009, 10:59:00 AM »
The more I think about this, the more I believe it is an individual difference from one blind to another.  As I mentioned, my current blind is my third DB, and is by far the hardest to set up of the three.  The tension on the strings that hold it together must play into how tight everything is.  If I remember correctly, the instructions specifically say NOT to untie those, so there must be something very specific to getting them adjusted correctly.  Maybe mine is just off a bit, and that affects how easy it goes up.
PBS Regular Member
WTA Life Member
In the end, it is not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. Abraham Lincoln.

Offline BMN

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: April 17, 2009, 11:17:00 AM »
My experience with the DB matrix has shown that correct adjustment of the corner straps has a direct affect on how hard/easy the blind is to put up. If it's hard to pop the hubs out the straps are probably too tight. If the sides of the blind are constantly being pushed in during light winds the straps are too loose. I had to adjust these straps a few times before I found the sweet spot. You also need to adjust these straps as the fabric ages and begins to stretch some.
Compton Traditional Bowhunters
Professional Bowhunters Society
Prairie Traditional Archers
TGMM Family of the Bow

The most frightening thing you are likely to encounter in nature is yourself.

Offline acolobowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: April 17, 2009, 12:07:00 PM »

I had the T5 model for several years, until someone broke into my shed and stole it.  Then I purchased the new model.  Can't remember the name.  It is not the Matrix, as I did not like that style.  It was before the Dark Horse model came out.  Both were the recurve models.  
I had some problem setting up this last blind, so contacted DB.  I think the fabric was to tight and made it difficult to set up.  They sent me a new one within a couple days.  I WOULD NOT purchase any other blind.  They are more expensive, but well worth the price.  One blind will last you the rest of your life.  I hunt elk and turkeys out of mine.

Offline Missouri CK

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: April 17, 2009, 10:53:00 PM »
Joe,

I've never messed with my strings and so I don't know if that could be a factor.  

Did you buy a new blind, used, or a demo blind from DB? Mine was a demo recurve model.  

A theory that I've heard and believe is that if one of the poles is shorter than the others then the blind is going to have asymetrical stress on it and be prone for problems. Makes sense because the poles push against one another at the corners of the blind. Even if the fabric gets wrinkled up in the corners that could seem to mess up change the stress on the blind. Check your and see if the ends butt up against one another in the corners.

CK
Life ain't a dress rehearsal.

Offline Missouri CK

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: April 17, 2009, 11:00:00 PM »
Curt,

I'm going to say that your experience is the norm and mine is definately the exception. Don't mean to sound like a whiner.  Just heard some many great things about DB that I expected them to be lemon free.

This is a funny story about the first problem I had with my double bull.  One of the hubs was pushed through the matrix window part of the blind.    :mad:    I found that out the next morning after calling them and sending pics via email.  Not sure if that was how it was shipped to me or if I some how did it with my initial attempt at setting it up.  I had watched the video first. I can't even imagine how I could do that without exerting tremendous force on it and I know I didn't push that hard.

Eventually after a season of use and multiple issues I sent my blind back and they put the steel footings on the poles, I haven't had any pole failures.  I can get the blind to pop up just like your video all of the time now. Sometimes I still get hung up taking it down.  

Just FYI after talking to the boys at Double Bull they said to me that anyone who sets up the blind differently then they show....i.e. not pushing the poles down into the ground (when walking up under the blind after pulling the first side over your head) is overstressing their poles and will have failures.  

Seems like a subtle step a lot of guys skip and get away with fine.  They acted like it was absolutely crucial and since I hadn't done that part it was reasonable that my poles broke. I guess that illistrates my frustration.  Curt didn't do that in his video and hasn't had any problems. They told me it was the source of the failures with my blind. Go figure.

Chris
Life ain't a dress rehearsal.

Offline ARCHERXP

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: April 18, 2009, 12:11:00 AM »
I just bought a DB Matrix 360 the other day and had no problem setting it up out of the box

I haven't field tested it yet.  Only thing I coulda wished for was back pack type straps to carry it out into the field

Offline Oliverstacy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: April 18, 2009, 07:19:00 AM »
Originally posted by BMN:
My experience with the DB matrix has shown that correct adjustment of the corner straps has a direct affect on how hard/easy the blind is to put up. If it's hard to pop the hubs out the straps are probably too tight. If the sides of the blind are constantly being pushed in during light winds the straps are too loose. I had to adjust these straps a few times before I found the sweet spot. You also need to adjust these straps as the fabric ages and begins to stretch some.
I feel this is a good point…the corner straps need to have the correct tension on them for it to set up well.  I had one wall want to pop in on me, I loosened the strap and problem solved.  Still feel that people get in a hurry to get it set-up and rush through and cause problems…I’ve been in a hurry before and almost got myself in trouble.  I took a big breath and collected my thoughts, one of my hubs wasn’t arranged correctly and after fixing it the blind popped up quick.  Watch the video and you’ll see what I mean, the hubs need to be arranged and move in this way and the blind will not fight you.  If you fight the blind it will win!

Video category...Double Bull Archery.  Sub category...Instructional video (blinds) watch #1 of 12.

Set-up help  

I'm going to post a link to a good site for the T-5 style (Matrix, Dark Horse and T-5) blinds.

Josh
Custom Flemish Strings by Oliverstacy!  
Kanati 60" 57@29"
AP Cumberland 66" 58@29"
WhisperStik KajikaStik 56" Recurve with Canebrakes...57@28"
WhisperStik KajikaStik aka "Wormy" RC & LB,both 55@29"
Martin Savannah 50@28"
Kota Kill-um 55@28"

Offline TRAP

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: May 02, 2009, 02:59:00 PM »
Okay, question for you guys that have used both the Matrix and Dark Horse.  Which do you prefer???

Someone asked about other spin off blinds.  I have a Ground Max Predator (GMP) and setting it up couldnt be simpler.  I'm thinking about going with a DB because of the added height.  My only beefs with the GMP is it's a little short, and I'm not crazy about the window configuration.

The GMP is a great blind for the money but I'm convinced there's better.

Trap
"If you don't like change, you're going to like irrelevance even less" Gen. Eric Shinsheki

"If you laugh, and you think, and you cry, that's a full day, that's a heck of a day." Jim Valvano.

Offline jimneye

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: May 02, 2009, 05:59:00 PM »
My poles broke last year.  I ordered a new set from PRIMOS and they sent me a set of white poles.  Where is everyone getting the reenforced poles and are they dark?
I've hunted almost every day of my life.....the rest were just wasted

Offline wingnut

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: May 02, 2009, 06:51:00 PM »
We own four double bulls and use them for pigs, turkeys and deer.  Might even give em a try for elk one of these years.

I ahve not seen a better blind product anywhere, anytime.

Mike
Mike Westvang

Offline IronCreekArcher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: May 02, 2009, 10:59:00 PM »
I have a Double Bull T2 for sale right now in the blind and treestands section...69" tall never used...$250 plus shipping...any takers?
We do not rise to the occasion.  We fall to our level of training.

Offline Lefty

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: May 03, 2009, 09:12:00 AM »
I have a Matrix recurve model and it is as easy to setup as Kurt demonstrated.  I take it out of the bag, shake out, open one section and place my knee on the other hubs to keep the blind from sliding away and give some resistance as I pop out that first hub.  After that it is just a matter of standing up with all the hubs in one hand and pulling the blind up and over myself, just as Kurt demonstrated.  I don't so much worry about the order all the hubs are stacked, like in the video, as the real secret is to pick up all of them in one hand.  Otherwise it can becomes that football and monkey thing.  
  I have owned a DB I-5 before this and it was as easy to put up and take down.  I have never had a pole break or seam rip, or any problem for that matter.  The quality of the blind material is the biggest difference I have seen over other blinds and is where I think the extra cost is.
  The only complaint I have is the carry strap and bag.  If you stick two chairs in the bag with the blind and strap it across your back, it is not comfortable to carry it very far.  I thought about getting a "wild thing" pack, but seemed pretty costly.  (I know that may seem funny that I don't think the DB blind is over priced, but do think the "wild thing" pack is way overpriced.)  
  Well I have solved that problem this spring.  I bought a blind pack system called the "blind hog"  and it is awesome!  I can now carry my recurve model matrix and blind stakes, two chairs, two decoys and stakes, snacks, drinks, binos, calls, and even strap on a gun or bow.  It has molded back, shoulder and waist straps and keeps the top of the blind below my head.  My 7 year old daughter hunts with me and we can now carry all that comfortably on my back.  I found my "blind hog" at my local sporting goods mega center for $79.

Offline metsastaja

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: May 03, 2009, 09:55:00 AM »
I love my DB but.
I set mine up every season in back yard to air it out and to refresh my memory on the proper way to set it up by watching the viedo.  All goes well in the back yard every time and I shoot out of it for about a week.

So far I have broken one roof poll every season out in the woods and it is the same corner poll every time. It typically happens on the 2nd or 3rd setup. Go figure.

I now carry 30' parachute cord with a fishing weight attached and set up close to or under trees. That way I can toss the cord over a limb. Tie off the top of the blind and hold the roof up.  Primos does not charge for the polls but the shipping and handling is close to $20.00
Les Heilakka
TGMM Family of the Bow  
Some times the uneventful nights are just as good if not better than the eventful ones

Offline Steve Nuckels

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: May 03, 2009, 11:02:00 PM »
Love mine!  Haven't killed anything out of it yet, can't blame the blind!  High quality and I's satisfied with it!

Offline amar911

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: May 04, 2009, 12:56:00 AM »
I watched the video several times and still found the set up of my Dark Horse Recurve to be difficult even with two friends helping. The blind seemed very tight. Once set up the blind is great.

Allan
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Dave Bowers

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: May 04, 2009, 12:07:00 PM »
Originally posted by amar911:
I watched the video several times and still found the set up of my Dark Horse Recurve to be difficult even with two friends helping. The blind seemed very tight. Once set up the blind is great.

Allan
It takes a few times to get the hang of it. Keep practicing you get it down.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©