3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: GPS topo map information  (Read 476 times)

Offline ArcticArcher

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
GPS topo map information
« on: April 15, 2009, 10:13:00 PM »
Just picked up a Garmin GPSmap 60CSx and am trying to find some sources to get downloadable topo maps.  Checked the Garmin site and they have some available, but would rather find some other sources.  If you know of some please let me know.

Also if you have one of these gadgets, please let me know what you think.  I still will have a map and compass when I enter the wilds of Alaska this year.  Technology is great, but Murphy and I have this unexplained affinity for each other   :bigsmyl:  

Thanks, Nick
TGMM Family of the Bow
Proud member of the Twister Twelve

Offline Last of the Breed

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: GPS topo map information
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2009, 10:38:00 PM »
I picked up some topo software at sportmans wharehouse in anchorage that i could upload to mine.  But it dosent help me here!
1 John 1:7  , and the blood
of Jesus Christ His Son cleanses us from all sin

Offline eidsvolling

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2009, 10:51:00 PM »
The person who sold you the Garmin 60CSx should have told you two things -- it is a very good GPS receiver and there are virtually no maps available for it other than the ones that Garmin publishes.  

Some folks are starting to make maps for Garmin receivers as hacks.  Here are some instructions for    Generating Custom Maps for Garmin Receivers.

EDIT: Another good place to start is    GPSFileDepot .

Offline jfish

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2009, 10:51:00 PM »
Nick,

Like most, Garmin's topo software is proprietary so you will have to use Mapsource on your 60.  May want to check the on line auction for an older version as it really hasn't changed much in recent years.  It will be 1:100 scale for most places with the Nat Parks software in 1:24 scale. Remember, you can only see but so much on the 2" screen so don't worry about installing super detailed maps on your handheld to much. Basic Mapsource is about all you can really see.

What really works out nice is to install Mapsource on your 60 and PC.  Then pickup a copy of the Delorme Topo software.  It too can be picked up on line especially if you get say 7.0v pretty cheap.  Install the Delorme software on your PC for planning and review.  It comes in 1:24 scale and has better tools plus 3d overlay.  Your 60 will interface with the Delorme software as far as waypoints and tracks, however the maps will not transfer. You can use the 60 in the field then return home and download the info to the Delorme.  Makes reviewing and details much easier to see than Mapsource.  

As far as the Garmine 60CSx its great!  It holds signals when other fail, has pretty good battery life and is tuff to boot.  You may want to pick up a screen protector just incase you drop it or scratch the screen.  The protector shields can be found pre cut at Zagg Inc. They are called Invisibleshield and run about $15.  Well worth the money.  A replacement screen for that unit starts at $150.00.

PS.. Your 60 will also transfer info to Goggle Earth.  Give it a try pretty cool...

Offline NoCams

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2009, 11:30:00 PM »
Nick,
as usual here on the gang.... great advice from the crew ! I have a 60Csx too and love it, but hate the software issue. I have the DeLorme software because it is 1:24 scale as jfish mentions above. 1:100K scale from Garmin is USELESS ! As with most techno stuff, never works as advertised, or you have to go thru tons of contortions to get it to work halfway as good as you thought it would. Just too much trouble for me. Wished I would have bought a more basic unit that still had the good chipset for reception like the 60 Csx.

Here is my tip of the day for you..... Spend the $$$ and buy lithium energizer AA bateries for your unit ! Worth every penny, could not believe the diff between the lithium batteries and regular Duracell or Energizers. I do not use my unit very much and been running the same set of lithiums for almost two years !!!

nocams  :readit:
TGMM  Family of the Bow
"Failure to plan is planned failure"

Offline Al Kidner

• Trad Bowhunter
    • Pathfinder Outdoors
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2009, 12:03:00 AM »
The 60 csx is a top quality bit of kit. I've had three Gramins and this is by far the best model. Keep up on the map, compass, pases and bearings... a GPS is open to failing sometime or another.

ak.
"No citizen has the right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever Seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable." Socrates.

Offline James Wrenn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2009, 07:48:00 AM »
A great choice.Also a costly one if you lose it.  :(  I lost mine last year and had to buy a replacement.I had mapsource loaded however so was able to reload 4 years of data into my new gps.  :pray:
....Quality deer management means shooting them before they get tough....

Online ksbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2009, 08:57:00 AM »
Very good unit although it makes you lazy about watching landmarks as you hunt.I got mine on craigslist with mapsouce software both land and lakes for $150!I really like the mapsource maps in the newer version.I gave my legend to a friend with the old mapsource software. The most helpful thing I've done is set it for direction of travel up.  Ben
I would've taken better care of myself,if I'd known I was gonna live this long!

Offline BMN

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2009, 09:25:00 AM »
I love my GPSMAP 60csx. I'm waiting on buying the topo software for it until I can get the 1:24 scale. Garmin is working on the 1:24 scale topo software for the entire US and has most of the western states complete. It comes on the pre programmed SD cards or a DVD. Just waiting for them to get the midwestern states complete.
Compton Traditional Bowhunters
Professional Bowhunters Society
Prairie Traditional Archers
TGMM Family of the Bow

The most frightening thing you are likely to encounter in nature is yourself.

Offline Doc Nock

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2009, 10:13:00 AM »
Good information! I gave up trying to find software maps for it...for obvious reasons.

For newbies: If you do like I do, and take out batteries over winter... you have to "reorient" your compass when you put batteries back in.

Oh, works without it...but it wouldn't get me to my waypoints! Don't ask how I learned that!  :)

I'll keep watchin for the 1:24 maps. Useless on small acreage without that detail!
The words "Child" and "terminal illness" should never share the same sentence! Those who care-do, others question!

TGMM Family of the Bow

Sasquatch LB

Offline ArcticArcher

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2009, 09:24:00 PM »
Thanks everyone, guess I'll break down and get the pre-programmed sd card and check on the delorme map dvd.  Like I said I will still be using the old standby (which I am quite comfortable with).  Really more interested in using it for waypoints and such, not the detail.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline James Wrenn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: April 16, 2009, 09:38:00 PM »
Personally I would buy the software on disc.The sd cards do not have as much data as the full version and you want to be able to load it on your computer to get the most out of it.That way you will always have backup in case somethng happens to your gps.It also makes things easier because you can name all your way points.tracts ect with a keyboard instead of doing it with little buttons. :)
....Quality deer management means shooting them before they get tough....

Offline BlueBarred

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: April 16, 2009, 11:13:00 PM »
I guess I use my GPS differently than most here. I just use mine to get a UTM fix on my position and and then go right to my printed map, which is gridded out for UTM's. The small screen on the GPS just can't give you the big picture that a map can. Two companies, that I know of, Terrain Navigator, and National Geographic, have all the USGS topo maps by State for around $100.00. With these you can vary the scale to meet your needs, grid the maps out, and many other options, and all on a piece of 8-1/2"X 11" waterproof paper (Adventure Paper). Whatever you do, always carry a map and compass in addition to your GPS, for backup if nothing else. There is a great essay on Kifaru.net on backcountry navigation for hunters, definately worth a read. You got a great GPS unit, but it doesn't replace your map and compass! Best, Dave

Offline ArcticArcher

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: April 17, 2009, 11:04:00 PM »
Dave, I agree with you and would never go out without a map and compass.  Being a former Boy Scout and sticking with the motto "Be Prepared".  Technology is great but as stated above me and Mr Murphy have this understanding.  LOL

I appreciate the tips from everyone.  This is my first GPS and I did some research before buying, but glad to hear others are pretty well pleased with theirs.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline BlueBarred

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: April 18, 2009, 01:13:00 PM »
You are going to have fun with this GPS. One thing that I found with mine is that it has made me a much better map reader. There have been many times when I thought I was here but the GPS told me I was there! Being able to study the map knowing right where you are is a valuable asset, and the knowledge it will give you will greatly increase your navigational skills. Be sure to check out the navigation essays on Kifaru:  http://www.kifaru.net/essays.html
These really helped put it together for me. Be safe!  Dave

Offline metsastaja

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: April 19, 2009, 11:00:00 AM »
I use a program called expertgps with my 60csx. Great waypoint manager. YOu can get a 30 day trial version. They also have a great forum for both the program and garmin units.
 www.expertgps.com.  

Allows you to view topo and aerial via terra server. You can plot your waypoint tracks etc and print out your own maps.  The program interfaces with Google earth and there you can get colored and High resolution aerial if Google has them.  

Some times the lithium batteries will not work. Lithiums are closer to 1.75 volts. Garmin has a voltage cut off just above 1.5 volts. Your unit will begin to start and then go blank.  You can drain the lithium a bit and then use.

If you haven't already download the Garmin webupdater and make sure you have the latest firm ware installed in you unit.
Les Heilakka
TGMM Family of the Bow  
Some times the uneventful nights are just as good if not better than the eventful ones

Offline BillE

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: April 20, 2009, 07:17:00 AM »
Take a look at this site...
 http://www.gps-data-team.com

I think I did see some topo on there.

Bill

Offline Curveman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: April 20, 2009, 09:46:00 AM »
I've been using the SD cards for Texas, MA, and Quebec. Fine for what I want.
Compliance Officer MK,LLC
NRA Life Member

Offline Talondale

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: April 20, 2009, 10:22:00 AM »
If you're using the SD card make sure you make a backup copy on your computer, or better yet a CD.  Cards can get fried or erased and you are out $$.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©