3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Your FAVORITE Arrow....  (Read 1051 times)

Offline Bowspirit

• Trad Bowhunter
Your FAVORITE Arrow....
« on: April 16, 2009, 12:00:00 AM »
Don't ask me why I'm proposing this question. Guess I'm just feeling a little...philosophical..

I want to know; what's your favorite arrow. Now, I know that this site probably has enough "most durable", "most economic", "easiest to tune", and so on threads to provide the ever-inquiring mind with a wealth of information. I just wanna know what your favorite is. What arrow has given you the most joy? Has been carried along with you through targets, 3d's, stump shoots, and countless hunts? Everyone has a special set of arrows that carry plenty of fond memories with them. What's yours? I'm sure theres plenty of good tales out there...
“I read somewhere of how important it is in life, not necessarily to be strong, but to feel strong. To measure yourself at least once.”
                -Alexander Supertramp

"Shoot this for me."
                -Chuck Nelson

Offline JC

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Your FAVORITE Arrow....
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2009, 06:24:00 AM »
Chris, I like philosophical...I'll play.

As much as it will pain George Stout to read this, my favorite arrow is a carbon: the sadly discontinued Beman MFX Max-4 in 340 spine, specifically this shaft, not others "like" it. Ridiculously tough, heavy (11.2 gr/in), looks good (yes, I like the looks of camo), thin (great penetration). Many good memories made with this arrow in my quiver. I've only got 3 doz shafts left and will be dragged kicking and screaming to whatever I find as it's poor replacement.

My second choice bears mentioning because prior to the Beman it was my favorite: the (again) discontinued Carbon Express Terminator Hunter in 55/70 spine. Ridiculously tough, heavy (12 gr/in), looks good. Notice a pattern? Lots of good memories with this one too. Got a dozen or so of these with arrows made up that I take now and then.

Wish I could wax nostalgic over cedar as I love their smell...but normally I smelled that smell a lot, because they broke all the time. Nothing but bad memories there.
"Being there was good enough..." Charlie Lamb reflecting on a hunt
TGMM Brotherhood of the Bow

Offline broketooth

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2009, 06:28:00 AM »
ive been primarily a longbow shooter for many yrs , particularly self bows so ive been shooting nothing but cedars.just recently ive been shooting a bear recurve,i ran out of cedars so batman introduced me to some carbons. i was impressed with them. i just went back to shooting a selfbow again.batman let me try some arrows he made from douglas fir, wow i like these. they hit like hammers. they really impact the target hard. i cant wait till this fall ,when hunting season kicks in again. im also learning how to make my own arrows now, out of douglas fir. i wish i had interest in making my own yrs ago
" you have done well to keep your hair when so many are after it"

Offline Benny Nganabbarru

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2009, 06:35:00 AM »
My favourites are the Carbon Express Heritage 350s, with 100 grain brass insert and 200 grain broadheads, for a total weight of 704 grains, that I shot out of my BW PLX; and the Douglas fir arrows, 105# in spine, wearing 160 grain STOS broadheads, for a total weight of 775 grains, that Joe Lorenzen made to go out of my Silvertip.

It's not that these are the best arrows for every bow set-up, it's just that I have had some great adventures with them and made some memories. As Bowspirit alluded to, it is more of a sentimental thing.
TGMM - Family of the Bow

Offline adkmountainken

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2009, 06:49:00 AM »
some fool gave me some AWESOME four fletched carbons that i fell in love with. carry them all the time!
I go by many names but Daddy is my favorite!
listen to everyone,FOLLOW NO ONE!!
if your lucky enough to spend time in the mountains...then your lucky enough!
What ever befalls the Earth befalls the sons of the Earth.

Offline Tim Fishell

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2009, 07:31:00 AM »
My favorites are Tapered Cedars made by Paul Jalon.  I have a few dozen of these arrows in spine weights to match my different bows.  These arrows are always with me in the woods when I am hunting.  I love the looks of wood arrows and there is just something about how they fly that I love.
Dreams can not be bought; they are free to those who have lived. -Mike Mitten

We must go beyond the textbooks, go out into the untrodden depths of the wilderness & travel & explore & tell the world the glories of our journey

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Ian johnson

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2009, 09:11:00 AM »
tapered cedars shoot best out of my bows
ARTAC member
53@29 sheepeater shaman recurve
52@29 66 bear grizzly
51@29 dryad orion td longbow

Offline vermonster13

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2009, 09:16:00 AM »
One laying on the forest floor covered in blood.
TGMM Family of the Bow
For hunting to have a future, we must invest ourselves in future hunters.

Offline James Wrenn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2009, 09:19:00 AM »
My all time favorite is not available any more.The Cabelas SSTs were the best hunting arrows I have ever run across for stickbows.
....Quality deer management means shooting them before they get tough....

Offline BMN

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2009, 09:34:00 AM »
Thru most of my archery career, starting with the compound and even during my transition to traditional archery 15 years ago, I've shot more Easton 2117's than anything else. I still shoot them in one of my bows but I'm slowly phasing them out in favor of carbon.
Compton Traditional Bowhunters
Professional Bowhunters Society
Prairie Traditional Archers
TGMM Family of the Bow

The most frightening thing you are likely to encounter in nature is yourself.

Offline tacomadm18

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2009, 09:35:00 AM »
I shoot cedars,, love them,, tried many others, but cedars just feel and fly great coming out of my longbow,,,,,,,,

glen

Offline Night Wing

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: April 16, 2009, 09:39:00 AM »
Aluminum arrows for me. Since Easton did away with my favorite 2115 size in hard anodized Super Slam camo, I've been forced to settle for Easton Camo Hunters in 2114 and 2018 sizes.
Blacktail TD Recurve: 66", 42# @ 30". Arrow: 32", 2212. PW: 75 Grains. AW: 421 Grains. GPP: 10.02
Blacktail TD Recurve: 66", 37# @ 30". Arrow: 32", 2212. PW: 75 Grains. AW: 421 Grains. GPP: 11.37

Offline Elk whisperer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: April 16, 2009, 09:58:00 AM »
I was going thru a box of old arrows and found some barrel taperd ramin shafts. Flecht them up they were shooting like guided missles I could not miss. It was amazing. Now I have to remember where I got them.
The older I get the better I was

Offline **DONOTDELETE**

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: April 16, 2009, 10:03:00 AM »
ASH or Birch shafts...Yes, they are woodies

Offline fatman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: April 16, 2009, 10:25:00 AM »
I'm partial to the Arrow Dynamics Trad Lites, because I can shoot them through a wide variety of recurves and longbows from 45# to 65#, with a wide range of front-end weights from 225gr to 300gr.  I like carbon for the consistency;  I know that a dozen AD shafts are going to weigh and spine the same.  The same cannot be said of wood shafts...

That being said, I cannot bring myself to shoot anything other than wood shafts through all-wood bows....just seems "right"....
"Better to have that thing and not need it, than to need it and not have it"
Woodrow F. Call

Commitment is like bacon & eggs; the chicken is involved, but the pig is committed....

Offline Morning Star

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: April 16, 2009, 10:46:00 AM »
The Beman MFX 400's have been a great shaft for me.  I weight them with a 100 grain brass insert and 200 grain point.  Couldn't be happier with how they've performed for me.
Iowa Bowhunters Association - Your voice in Iowa's bowhunting and deer hunting issues!

Offline bayoulongbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: April 16, 2009, 10:48:00 AM »
I shoot wood arrows again , I have buckets of alum. and carbons still in boxes, but Im going back to wood , probaly for good. Mark ...I love a nice crown and crested arrow. Its The Real Thing!     :)     Marco#78....the history ,the sounds and the smells of leather,  cedars, colors in the wood,its what I like about traditional Bowhunting. ya ever just watch the flight of a arrow... :)
"If you're living your life as if there is no GOD, you had  better be right!"

Online Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
« Reply #17 on: April 16, 2009, 11:06:00 AM »
I've been shooting port orford cedars of my own making, sometimes tapered, sometimes footed, for nearly 50 years out of my longbows and sometimes recurves.  Killed a lot of critters with them.  They do everything I ask of them.  Probably won't change.

Offline WestTnMan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: April 16, 2009, 11:08:00 AM »
I have two big nails over my work bench where I keep my favorite arrows. Most are bent or broken. Most have dried blood, hair and a few only mud. I take a paint pen and record the demise of each. My favorite one says "Pickwick 11/25/97 10pt". That small stack of "old arrows" definately are my favorite. I still walk by that tree at Pickwick where my stand once hung and the deed was done. There is a bird feeder hanging from it now and I just wave at the people sitting on the deck sipping tea under the shade it provides. That, I think, was my favorite tree.
Gen 27:3 "Take your hunting gear, your quiver and bow, and go out into the field to hunt some game for me."

Offline DesertDude

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: April 16, 2009, 12:10:00 PM »
Easton Axis.........
DesertDude >>>----->

US Navy (Retired)
1978-1998

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©