3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Howard Hill Bow Question?  (Read 733 times)

Offline highnoonhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
Howard Hill Bow Question?
« on: April 16, 2009, 03:22:00 PM »
Hi everyone,
Just wondering..................... I had bought a nice Howard Hill bow last year, but sold it before it even made it home. But I'd still like to have one before this fall hunting season. I think I'd like one with a dished grip.
I'm not really too familiar with the different models.... etc. I also wouldn't want a "Special Edition", or highly collectable HH. But something like a classic, great shooter, with preferably a slightly dished (locator) grip.......................

Any suggestions?

Thanks!
hnh
Member: Christian Bowhunters of America
Physically Challenged Bowhunters of America
International Internet Leathercrafters' Guild, Inc.
-
Holmes Mongoose reverse handle longbow. 63" 63@28
Longriver Longbow: 69" 69@28
Kolometz Kustom Longbow 66" 76@28

Offline Apex Predator

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Howard Hill Bow Question?
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2009, 03:24:00 PM »
They are all too close to one another in function to tell much difference.  The different models are for asthetics mostly.  In a 66-68" length, average draw length archers will do well with any of them.  Fine bows!
I didn't claw my way to the top of the food chain to eat vegetables!

Offline SpankyNeal

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2009, 03:37:00 PM »
They're all great shooters, but you can't beat the Tembo and Big 5 for "Classic" IMHO! The Tembo would be my recommendation for a first Hill, especially if your going to shoot lighter weights where the extra lams of bamboo aren't really needed. I've owned two Wesley's and they're both gone now, but my Tembo is still here! The slightly ( 1/16" max) dished grip is starting to become my favorite although I like the staight a lot! I can't shoot it though if the dish is too deep - torque issues, but there are those that prefer it deeper. If you can't try a couple then I would recommend that you send Craig an outline of your hand, and keep the dish to a minimum to start, then he can make it deeper later if you desire at minimal cost. Like I said they all shoot great, you just have to pick the one that really does it for you!

Regards...Ken
Ken "Spanky" Neal

4 Sunset Hills and counting!

66" 59# "White Dragon"
65" 56# "El Tigre"
67" 47# "Quiet Places"
66" 57# "Lionheart"

"Speed is vital, however it is absolutely worthless when you exchange it for stability and accuracy"...John Schulz

Offline highnoonhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2009, 03:52:00 PM »
The bow I bought last year had the strait grip, and I didn't care a lot for it. I have a bum elbow from being in a mining accident, and a true strait grip makes it hurt after a few shots.

Of course, the locator grip ain't gonna help a whole lot, but I just found the strait grip plum uncomfy.

I've been looking at them on thier site, and I like the looks of the Red Man bow. Something different I reckon with the yew, instead of boo.

I can't remember seeing any of those very often for sale used though.
I think I'll try and buy used once I save some money. That's why I'm wanting some info now, so once I save some money I can hopefully jump on a deal once I find it.

How do the 66inch bows draw? I'd like a 66incher. Will they do OK with a 29 inch draw?

hnh
-

Offline Bill Turner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2009, 04:15:00 PM »
Do yourself a favor and call or e-mail Craig at Howard Hill archery. Pay close attention to your grip size. Craig has three types available, straight, dished and locator, but the actual size is determined by your hand size. I found that there is very little difference between the dished and locator, but some are built for medium size hands and some are larger. I happen to prefer the large grip, which measures about 5 and 1/4 inches around. These bows are a pleasure to shoot, but they are made to be shot with the heel of the hand down. Get a copy of G. Fred Asbell's "Instinctive Shooting II" for a thorough introduction to shooting a D-shapd longbow like the Hill's. G. Fred is dead on.

Oh yea... If you get a Hill start saving your money immediately, because as my TG bud "Harl" told me, you can't stop with just one.  :thumbsup:

Offline SpankyNeal

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2009, 04:51:00 PM »
Your going to be better off with a 68-70" bow for a 29" draw. The Redman is a smooth shooter and a good choice as is the Halfbreed (Yew and Boo). The only disadvantage to used is that you can't get the grip sized to your hand, so be carefull you don't go too large - a little small is probably better.
Ken "Spanky" Neal

66" 59# "White Dragon"
65" 56# "El Tigre"
67" 47# "Quiet Places"
66" 57# "Lionheart"

"Speed is vital, however it is absolutely worthless when you exchange it for stability and accuracy"...John Schulz

Offline highnoonhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2009, 05:42:00 PM »
Thanks guys.....................

SpankyNeal............ I think the grip on the bow I purchased was too big also. Which is likely one reason it was uncomfortable. I wear a large glove size, but I could barely reach around it.

hnh
-

Offline SpankyNeal

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2009, 08:23:00 AM »
Yep, one of the Wesley's I had also had a large grip that I couldn't shoot, so I traded it. I take a large glove myself, and prefer grips 5" in circumference or less.

Regards...Ken
Ken "Spanky" Neal

66" 59# "White Dragon"
65" 56# "El Tigre"
67" 47# "Quiet Places"
66" 57# "Lionheart"

Offline Romans3

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2009, 11:58:00 AM »
I have a 66" big five and let a guy with a 31" draw (he's really big) shoot it the other day. He loved it and said he didn't notice any adverse effects of drawing it that far. No stacking or anything. It shot great for him.
"conduct yourselves in a manner worthy of the Gospel of Christ" Phil. 2:27

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©