3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: strings questions...again.  (Read 454 times)

Offline Oliverstacy

• Trad Bowhunter
strings questions...again.
« on: April 16, 2009, 05:11:00 PM »
I’ve made two 14 strand D-97 strings and they seem small diameter compared to the B-50’s I’ve been making.  Man is this string easier to use and it makes some very nice looking strings.  

Question…I have some Halo .019 serving and it will be too small for my X-nocks from what I can tell.  Should I serve it once with the .019 and then double serve the section my nock is going to be set at or should I go with another serving size.  I haven’t opened the package and my see if I can exchange it for a .024 dia serving.  

Might get some Braided .026 dia serving and see if that will work…I could get some artificial sinew and make a thicker section where the nock will be.

Also can you twist a string too much?  I twisted them up last night and left them both strung to stretch the strings…4 twists fixed the small stretch that occurred.  I could take some pictures later (I’m at work now) of the string to show the twist rate but they are tight and the string seems very round, just concerned they are to tight if that is possible.

Just wondering.

Thanks,

Josh
Custom Flemish Strings by Oliverstacy!  
Kanati 60" 57@29"
AP Cumberland 66" 58@29"
WhisperStik KajikaStik 56" Recurve with Canebrakes...57@28"
WhisperStik KajikaStik aka "Wormy" RC & LB,both 55@29"
Martin Savannah 50@28"
Kota Kill-um 55@28"

Offline chessieboy

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: strings questions...again.
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2009, 05:19:00 PM »
I'm guessing that you're making an endless loop string. If so just add a couple of extra sections of string at the loops and under the serving at the nock area if its too thin. And yes you can over twist a string espicially if its endless you actually decrease the strength with excess twists.  This is listed in one of the BB in the string making section.

Offline wtpops

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2009, 05:45:00 PM »
Just dubble serve with the Halo, Just serve it then turnaround and go right back dont even cut it. As far as twists, i have a cupple of Widows and thay use 14 strand D97 strings and in the instructions that come with the stock strings they say thay come made with 30 twists and not to twist more than 100 twists total.

Yes your 14 strand D97 string should be much thiner than your B50 string and some where around 6 to 10 FPS faster.

The strings i make up will end up having about 40 to 50 twists when they are settled in.

PS. i make flemish strings for my bows.
TGMM Family of the Bow
"OVERTHINKING" The art of creating problems that weren't even there!

Offline Oliverstacy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2009, 06:26:00 PM »
They're all Flemish strings...this was my seventh one.  I'm getting better with everyone and really like making them.

Funny my initial measurements with the jig were from strings I made with B-50...looks like I'll need to make some adjustments to the strings I make with D-97.  I get the loops and fadeouts much cleaner with this string material.

Thanks all,

Josh
Kanati 60" 57@29"
AP Cumberland 66" 58@29"
Martin Savannah 50@28"
Kota Kill-um 55@28"

Offline LBR

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2009, 08:02:00 PM »
Should I serve it once with the .019 and then double serve the section my nock is going to be set at or should I go with another serving size. I haven’t opened the package and my see if I can exchange it for a .024 dia serving.
Double-serving will probably be too big.  You might exchange the serving for a larger size, or the easy thing to do would be custom-fit it to your nock with dental floss.  When you get the fit you want (a few wraps at the nock point should do it), add super glue to the floss and it should last.  I got that tip courtesy of Rod Jenkins.

Also can you twist a string too much?
Yes, but you can't tell by numbers.  You can't put as many twists in a short string as you can a long one.  The best way I know to say is if your string coils up any when you unstring your bow, you have way too many twists.

Funny my initial measurements with the jig were from strings I made with B-50...looks like I'll need to make some adjustments to the strings I make with D-97.
Yep--and if you start using Formula 8125 you'll have to adjust a bit, and if you use 450+ you'll have to adjust a bit.....

Chad

Offline Oliverstacy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2009, 08:25:00 PM »
Chad...thanks for all the feedback!

I took the string off the bow this morning and it stayed just as straight as when it was on the bow, hopefully this is a good sign.  

I’ll take some pictures when I get home and post them.

I figure it’s all a learning process on where to place the peg that controls the length…I’ve made some notes.  I really like twisting D-97 compared to the B-50 that is for sure!

I’m going to buy some artificial sinew this weekend and place that over the serving, I had a string made for my longbow and liked the feel of that.

Another question I just thought of…do you twist the serving the same direction the string twists or in the opposite direction, or doesn’t it matter?

Thanks again!

Josh
Kanati 60" 57@29"
AP Cumberland 66" 58@29"
Martin Savannah 50@28"
Kota Kill-um 55@28"

Offline Rob DiStefano

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
    • Cavalier Pickups
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2009, 08:29:00 PM »
what chad said.  plus i'll add that string making is both an easy task and a critical art, depending on yer wants and needs.
IAM ~ The only government I trust is my .45-70 ... and my 1911.

Offline LBR

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2009, 08:38:00 PM »
"Another question I just thought of…do you twist the serving the same direction the string twists or in the opposite direction, or doesn’t it matter?"

I honestly don't know if it matters, but it won't hurt to serve in the same direction of the twist--or an easy way to look at it is when you tighten the twist to shorten a string, it will tighten (not loosen) the serving.

Chad

Offline Rob DiStefano

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
    • Cavalier Pickups
« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2009, 08:43:00 PM »
imho, ya always gotta twist the center serving the same direction as you'd twist the string to shorten it.  this means that the center serving will tighten, rather than loosen, as yer fingers draw back the string.

Online frank bullitt

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2009, 09:31:00 PM »
"Serving direction", well heres another part to that equasion. Left or right hand shooter! Back a time ago when I was learning to make flemish strings, alot of the adds for custom strings had a request for this. My strings are served with the body twist on my machine, but when I hand served in the beginning I went "both ways". Does it matter? How much rotation are we talking? Josh remember the size or dia. of the material will matter in you measurements. Just as the ratios of gears are determined by the size. Keep it simple and have fun learning, I know I still am! Good shootin, Steve

Offline Oliverstacy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2009, 03:10:00 AM »
I will serve in the direction of the twist...if you think about it...it does make sense.  

I made two more tonight and moved the peg down one hole and the strings look much better, the twists just seem more appropriate.  Both are definite keepers and measure right around 57” for a 60” longbow and a 60” recurve.  I have three bows strung to help stretch the strings overnight…I’m allowing them to stretch before I serve them.

I’m truly excited about this…I made two and I’ve finally got the twist down and feel comfortable doing it, only took 9 strings.  :rolleyes:    But the last three turned out really nice, can’t wait to get the proper serving size to bring them totally to life.

This sport is fun!  I’ve loved making my own arrows for years so this is just another step in the direction I’ve wanted to take.

Again…thanks all!

Josh
Kanati 60" 57@29"
AP Cumberland 66" 58@29"
Martin Savannah 50@28"
Kota Kill-um 55@28"

Offline Rob DiStefano

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
    • Cavalier Pickups
« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2009, 06:16:00 AM »
that's the thing about flemish strings - it'll take making a number of strings before you nail the formula that'll produce near consistent strings in terms of lopp-to-loop length and number of twists in the main body.

not at all so with endless.  at the very most it'd take 3 strings to dial in the perfect length/twist factor, and every new string is a clone of the last.

another way to go for flemish is to loop the top and bowyer knot the bottom - then every string will be perfect in both length and twists!  :D

Online frank bullitt

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: April 17, 2009, 12:17:00 PM »
Josh, to save youself some material If you come up alittle short or long ,just take the string apart and adjust about 3/8" to /1/2" on one end and try again. Keep records, as long as the string has not stretched or been under any tension , you can build it again. Steve

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©