3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Pics of your Robin Hoods  (Read 1468 times)

Offline Cody Roiter

• Trad Bowhunter
Pics of your Robin Hoods
« on: March 21, 2007, 10:05:00 AM »
Hello Guys I would like to see pics of your robin Hoods.
Cody
We as archer's must keep it alive by helping others into the sport WE LOVE.

Offline Lost

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Pics of your Robin Hoods
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2007, 11:48:00 AM »

here is one with a 55 lb Dale Dye... Few and far between for me..
jack-er back and let-er fly

Offline Blackhawk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2007, 12:14:00 PM »
Hey Lost,

That is   :cool:  

...however, isn't a "true" Robin Hood one in which your arrow splits an opponent's arrow?   :D
Lon Scott

Offline Kingstaken

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2007, 12:42:00 PM »
First Lost nice shooting..  :clapper:  

Lon, you may have a point there. Robinhooding ya own arrow costs you money.   :D  

And I isn't an aluminum arrow actually called an Eastonhood. Where as a Robinhood is with a wood shaft.   :D      :D
"JUST NOCK, DRAW AND BE RELEASED"

Offline Blackhawk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2007, 02:42:00 PM »
This could have been a true Robin Hood if wood arrows were used.  Here is my 35/55 Gold Tip fitted perfectly inside my opponent's 2315. The distance was 20 yds.

By the way, I read somewhere that trad archers can expect having one Robin Hood every 15 years.  This is my third one in about 45 years of shooting, so I guess the story holds water.

Lon Scott

Offline VA Bowbender

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2007, 05:08:00 PM »

In the current issue of TBM, Byron Ferguson talks about wanting to split a wood arrow.  He's looking for some straight grain shafts to work with.  If anyone can do it Byron can!
Bows, Broadheads & Backstraps

Offline Brian Krebs

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2007, 05:35:00 PM »
Good luck to Byron on that. I have to wonder if it has to do with 'mythbusters' having 'busted' the 'myth' that arrows can be 'robinhooded'; and worse- they had so many complaints: they tried again and said it was 'definetly a myth'.
 They did show the picture of the robinhooded arrow in the movie - where Howard Hill won the competition by shooting a 'robinhood'.
  I believe the once in 15 years on average for a robinhooded shot. I have done it a few times; but actually got target panic from breaking a dozen nocks a night; and not having the money for new arrows at that rate. ( aluminum arrows).
  I shoot broadheads 90% of the time now; and wood arrows- I have split and skinned other arrows; and hit broadheads with broadheads- not such a big trick.
  Expensive though.
  But for years I have shot only one arrow per target- so that my target panic stays under control. I am not THAT great a shot; but I AM that cheap: to worry about it.
  When you look at all the tricks that were done in the past with bows; like shooting cigarettes out of peoples mouths and asprin from the air; its clear that shooting good enough: is not the issue.
 When I shoot with someone I always shoot at their arrows; and in short order; they are shooting at mine; and robinhoods are still a great exception- you have to hit dead center to get a real robinhood- and if your off just a little- it doesn't count- as we all know.
  Does anyone know if the robinhood shot by Howard Hill WAS a real robinhood ?
THE VOICES HAVEN'T BOTHERED ME SINCE I STARTED POKING THEM WITH A Q-TIP.

Offline Tom A

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2007, 05:53:00 PM »
I think one of the myth buster shows said it might of been done with bamboo. A hollow bamboo shaft can be split in half pretty easy.

Online The Whittler

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2007, 06:24:00 PM »
I can't remember where I read that Howard Hill did the Robin Hood on the first take and a few more.  Alan

Offline Blackhawk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2007, 06:30:00 PM »
Quote I saw somewhere:

"Howard Hill's role as stunt archer in the film The Adventures of Robin Hood" allowed for a famous shot in which Robin Hood splits an arrow from nock to tip. It was revealed that Howard Hill was able to accomplish this only because the arrow to be split was made of bamboo, not wood."
Lon Scott

Offline SOS

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2007, 08:28:00 PM »
I've got to wait another 15 years?  Geesh.  Got this one a few months ago with my ChekMate 56" Hunter and 3555 GoldTips about about 16 yards.  Not quite three years of shooting trad.  Better to be luck than good.  I think carbons are a lot easier to RH than aluminum.  On aluminum, you've got to get your point in the little teeny-tiny hole on the nock end.  Had two with aluminum and 3 or more with carbon with my wheelie bow.  Steve

:pray:  

Offline Killdeer

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: March 22, 2007, 04:19:00 AM »
Well, you finally came up with a topic that I can't post a pic on! Well done!

Haven't Robin Hooded an arrow since I blew up a glass shaft in 1970. Now, darts...I have a pic of that.  :D  

Killdeer  :wavey:
Long, long afterward, in an oak I found the arrow, still unbroke;
And the song, from beginning to end, I found again in the heart of a friend.

~Longfellow

TGMM Family Of The Bow

Offline Biggie Hoffman

• SRBZ
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: March 22, 2007, 06:22:00 AM »
I've never personally shot at one of my nocks before so if I HAD done one, it would've been considered a mmmmmmmmmmmiss.
PBS Life Member
Member 1K LLC

"If you are twenty and aren't liberal you don't have a heart...if you're forty and not conservative you don't have a brain".....Winston Churchill

Offline DarkeGreen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: March 22, 2007, 06:27:00 AM »
Originally posted by Biggie Hoffman:
I've never personally shot at one of my nocks before so if I HAD done one, it would've been considered a mmmmmmmmmmmiss.
I did all the time in my wheel days and chalked up quite a few. With traditional equipment I've busted a few nocks off of my wood arrows but I agree, there were mistakes or misses. It's still fun to miss in exactly the same spot.  :)

Offline bjk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: March 22, 2007, 08:02:00 AM »
The only real robinhood imo is HH...getting lucky  every once in a great while is one thing...someone asking you to do it and you can...and are able to reproduce it....jeeesh

This quote is hilarious...especially the last sentence.

"Howard Hill's role as stunt archer in the film The Adventures of Robin Hood" allowed for a famous shot in which Robin Hood splits an arrow from nock to tip. It was revealed that Howard Hill was able to accomplish this only because the arrow to be split was made of bamboo, not wood."

I'd love to know the distance...if someone tells me like 15 yards or something I may start lighting candles in his honor and start a worship group.

There's alot of folks glad he isn't around to shoot Muzzy  ;)

Offline Marblesonac

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: March 22, 2007, 08:24:00 AM »
My arrow sticking in Voodoofire1's...the picture was taken with the quivers that Voodoo made for my son and me last summer at voodoo's range.

It was about a 30 yard shot on the second target of 18.  

Unless you're the lead dog, the scenery never changes....

Offline JDinPA

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: March 22, 2007, 08:37:00 AM »
I've never taken a picture of any of my Robin Hoods. I've never really paid attention. Now that I pay attention it will be 15 years.

Offline Shakes.602

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: March 22, 2007, 10:15:00 AM »
Havent ever got one............Yet!! I just Keep Tryin' though!!  :rolleyes:    :archer:
"Carpe Cedar" Seize the Arrow!
"Life doesn't get Simpler; it gets Shorter and Turns in Smaller Circles." Dean Torges
"Faith is to Prayer what the Feather is to the Arrow" Thomas Morrow
"Ah Think They Should Outlaw Them Thar Crossbows" A Hunting Pal

Offline Ron LaClair

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: March 22, 2007, 10:24:00 AM »
We live in the present, we dream of the future, but we learn eternal truths from the past
When you were born, you cried and the world rejoiced. Live your life so that when you die, the world cries and you rejoice.
Life is like a wet sponge, you gotta squeeze it until you get every drop it has to offer

Offline DarkeGreen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: March 22, 2007, 10:27:00 AM »
I was waiting on someone to do that.  :)

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©