3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: A lot of string questions!!  (Read 282 times)

Offline bm22

• Trad Bowhunter
A lot of string questions!!
« on: April 24, 2009, 12:00:00 AM »
I i seem to have missed all of the skinny string talk, so i went back to try to read all the threads i could find.

I had an 18 strand string break at the nock today. Now i need to buy or make a new string, i have never made a string before but my friend has made several.

I shoot a 58 @ 29 sweptwing recurve. I was thinking about trying a skinny string , about 10 strands. What kind of material is best, i have heard of d97 is the strongest and best , is this true? Also what size and type serving is good? I shoot goldtips so i want a good nock fit. How many strands should i pad the loops and how long should the pieces be? Should i use b50 for the pads. What kind of benifits should i get from a 10 strand string vs a 18 strand. Thanks for any help
Brandon

Offline CJC

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: A lot of string questions!!
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2009, 07:02:00 AM »
if you are in need of strings, i have an add in the sponsors classifieds.

Offline JRY309

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2009, 07:57:00 AM »
Well if your 18 strand broke at the nock,if you used a crimp on nock it may have been too tight.Before you go with a skinny string is your Sweptwing recurve FF compatable.D97 is great string material and is my favorite for my bows that can handle FF type strings.

Offline frank bullitt

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2009, 10:02:00 AM »
Brandon, alot of good materials out there and d97 is one of them. I would give a 10 or 12 strand a try, with padded loops of dacron. That is if your bow is f.f. compatible. How long had you used the 18 strand on your bow? If f.f. type material I would change a string after a year of alot of shooting. The constant bend at the nock will cause it to break, just like bending a piece of wire back and forth. I had a f.f. over 5 yrs. old on a Bob Lee recurve do the same thing. Good shootin, Steve

Offline bm22

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2009, 10:17:00 AM »
Yes my sweptwing is ff approved. How long should the "pads" be? What size serving do u need on a 10 strand d97 string?

Offline frank bullitt

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2009, 04:12:00 PM »
Brandon, I would put in about 12" strand for the pads. For serving, you could use .030 halo or really  you could use any other types and build up under serving, serve over, a whole lot of ways to skin that cat!

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©