3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: I mmmmissed  (Read 423 times)

Offline KENDALL TECHAU

• Trad Bowhunter
I mmmmissed
« on: April 23, 2009, 09:38:00 AM »
I just got in from turkey hunting. I miss a nice gobbler not once but twice inside 10 yards!!He came right in to the dekes. Shot under him the first shot[broadside]and in front of him [broadside]the second shot.He had enough after that.Talk about not picking a spot and snap shooting,but it sure was exciting!!!  :scared:

Offline d. ward

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: I mmmmissed
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2009, 09:42:00 AM »
Kendall take is pretty good action just the same.I ai'nt been in the woods as yet.Good luck and we will be watching for pics.bd

Offline PAPALAPIN

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2009, 11:29:00 AM »
At least you werethere...you saw a bird...you got a shot, or two...more than many of us.

Good for you.
JACK MILLET-TBG,TGMM Family of the Bow

"Don't worry about tomorrow.  If the sun doesn't come up in the morning, we will play in the dark" - ME

The most important part of your hunting setup is the broadhead.  The rest is just the delivery system.

Offline KENDALL TECHAU

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2009, 01:02:00 PM »
This is my first year bowhunting for turkeys.I've taken a bunch of them with shotgun over the years but had kind of lost the fire for it. In fact last year I only went out one morning. The fire is back now! At one point the bird this morning was only acouple of yards from my blind ! I don't think I'll ever gun hunt them again. I wish I had taken up bowhunting for them years ago.

Offline jcar315

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2009, 02:26:00 PM »
Kendall, Great hunting story! Good luck and you are WAY ahead of me in the turkey hunting success department.
Proud Dad to two awesome Kids and a very passionate pig hunter.

Right handed but left eye dominant.

Proud to be a Native TEXAN!!!!!

"TGMM  Family of the Bow"

Offline seboomook

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2009, 05:47:00 PM »
That sounds exciting, I'm trying for my first bow turkey this year, and cant get 'em close enough.
I think a decoy next year will help.
Good luck! You'll get the next one.

Offline Shaun

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2009, 09:52:00 PM »
I love it when I get so overwhelmed with the excitement of the hunt that I can't hit a 20# bird at 15 feet. Way more thrilling than blasting with a bang stick. I missed them for several years and when I finally hit one I could hardly believe it. I hit one twice last Sunday - the second arrow in a fatal spot - and was still surprised.

You did good to get afield and so close. Keep at it and one day you will bear down and pick a spot and connect. Enjoy the process.

Offline doug77

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2009, 10:33:00 PM »
don't feel to bad Kendall in the last 3 years I have missed 4 birds all less the 10 yards just seem's like I can't pick a spot when it comes to turkeys.

doug77

Offline KENDALL TECHAU

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2009, 10:45:00 PM »
Right on Shaun. I was grinnin from ear to ear. When I was young it use to bother the heck out of me if I missed a deer.I'd beat myself up for week. Now that I'm older It's no big deal. Shoot,acouple of years ago I missed the same B&C 12pt twice in one week! I had his number but he had mine too! I'd see him coming down the trail and just turn into jello! Never lost any sleep over it and was just glad to get a crack at him,miss clean, and not wound. Heading out in the morning! I'll try to remember to bear down!

Offline RunninWild77

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2009, 01:17:00 AM »
Yup, i did the same thing on a gobbler in the fall. I snuck up to a ridge and looked over the edge when 4 huge toms where just feeding along, they never even knew I was there. I was so excited that I missed twice at 15 yards!! All well, happens to the best of us. At least you can admitt to a miss, rather than try and hide it.
Great Northern Firball 65@28
63' Hoyt Pro Hunter 49@28
74' Bear Kodiak Magnum 45@28 (my wife claims its hers now lol)
71' Bear Grizzly 40@28
70s ? Shakespeare Necedah 50@28

"Fast is nice, but accuracy is everything"-Wyatt Earp

Offline wollelybugger

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2009, 10:18:00 AM »
I've been chasing them with a stick for twenty years and still haven't tagged one. Shot at a bunch, wouldn't do anything different now. I dont use a decoy or a blind so it is hard to get a shot. You will get him next time.

Online MnFn

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: April 24, 2009, 10:40:00 AM »
I'm going to have to give that a try next year. Sounds like a hoot, plus breaks up the long wait for October. Did not apply for a permit this year, but shot one last year w/ a 12 g.
Good hunting,
Gary
"By the looks of his footprint he must be a big fella"  Marge Gunderson (Fargo)

"Ain't no rock going to take my place". Luke 19:40

Offline BRONZ

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: April 24, 2009, 02:45:00 PM »
If I had a nickle for everytime I missed a bird under 15 yds... I'd have a lot of nickles!    :)  

Dad and I shot 5 arrows between us this weekend and came home with a single feather.  Wouldn't it be nice just to call out "Do over!" and get another crack at it!?
"He trains my hands for battle; my arms can bend a bow of bronze."
2 Samuel 22:35

Wheatland Christian Bowhunters--Chairman

Offline Todweelz

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: April 24, 2009, 02:58:00 PM »
I'm glad this got posted I was starting to feel all alone in the missing turkeys under 15 yds.! something about a turkey at full strut, spitting and dragging his wings on the ground gets me a little twitterpated. Good luck and keep at it!

Offline Steve Nuckels

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: April 24, 2009, 09:42:00 PM »
Great stuff!  Miss or clean kill, it's all good! I feel like the Chairman of the local turkey conservation chapter, I have been after them for the last 5 years.  I took a desperation shot last year and missed.  But when its all said and done I'm glad to have the opportunity!  You will center punch him next time Kendall!!

Offline Brian Krebs

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: April 24, 2009, 11:48:00 PM »
You have to really concentrate when you take a shot at a turkey ! I have done it; and for some reason turkeys cause gravity swells; and sudden wind torrents!

aim small hit small    :readit:

good luck ( luck is where preparation and opportunity meet)   :thumbsup:    

:archer:
THE VOICES HAVEN'T BOTHERED ME SINCE I STARTED POKING THEM WITH A Q-TIP.

Offline doubleo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: April 25, 2009, 09:12:00 AM »
Don't feel bad i've missed deer at that range. Keep on turkin and success is right around the corner.
Wisconsin Traditional Archers Member

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©