3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Looking to try an ACS....Another question??? pg 2  (Read 506 times)

Offline oneshot-onekill

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Looking to try an ACS....Another question??? pg 2
« on: April 24, 2009, 10:48:00 AM »
I am looking to get an ACS and looking for opinions. I draw 30" so what length bow would you recommend? Thanks for all your input.

Terry
Proverbs 16:9
TGMM Family of the Bow

Terry Barker

Offline wtpops

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Looking to try an ACS....Another question??? pg 2
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2009, 10:52:00 AM »
I beleave A&H will recommend a 64" for your 30" draw. Contact them they will be more than happy to answer any questions you have, they are great to work with.
TGMM Family of the Bow
"OVERTHINKING" The art of creating problems that weren't even there!

Offline Ol Man

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2009, 12:05:00 PM »
I got one about 6 months ago and have been shooting longbows for over 30 years.  I can tell you I honestly have not shot a better bow bar none.  I am far more accurate overall with my ACS than any other bow I have ever shot.  I have owned over 40 custom bows over the years and would highly recommend them.  Get them to help you and you can't go wrong.
Getting older I tend to talk to myself but, at least I know that I am as smart as the one I am talking to.

Offline Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2009, 12:25:00 PM »
I echo Ol Man's thoughts.  I've been shooting sticks for more than 40 years and have shot most of the good ones out there.  Just ordered my second ACS.  Mine are 64 inches and I draw 28 inches.  Though a 64-inch bow will handle a 30 inch draw, a 66-inch would be more comfortable.  If you have a 30 inch draw, you're probably a fairly tall/large person.  A few extra inches of bow length will hardly be noticeable.  Be sure to get advice from the A&H folks as well.  Good luck.

Offline Bjorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2009, 01:32:00 PM »
The A&H team will advise you on your questions of bow and drawlength-their customer service is excellent. My son and I share 4 of their bows and have a 5th on order.

Offline WildmanSC

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2009, 01:41:00 PM »
Make sure you get a stringer that has cups on both ends.  I had a couple bad experiences using a Selway stringer in the dark in IL.  When hunting public land in IL the bow must be rendered non-shootable until you reach your point of destination to hunt and before you leave.

For me the only way I could figure to render it non-shootable was to string it when I arrived and unstring it when I left.  The stringer's rubber piece on the upper limb slipped off on me 3 times resulting in near dry fire conditions.  A Skookum stringer with cups on both ends solved the problem.  

Bill
TGMM Family of the Bow

-----------------------------------
Groves Flame Recurve 62", 45#@28"

Praise the Lord Jesus Christ, He is Worthy

Offline madness522

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2009, 01:42:00 PM »
Don't do it man! don't do it!  you'll be spoiled and all your other bows will sit and collect dust.  I picked up an ACS a couple months ago and haven't shot any of my other bows since! They are sweet shooting bows.  Mine is 64" and I draw it out to 29.5" with no problems at all!!
Barry Clodfelter
TGMM Family of the Bow.

Offline Zenzele

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2009, 03:10:00 PM »
I've got a CX 58#@28'.... I agree with Barry, be careful - once you pick one up, your other bows will get lonely!   :knothead:  
Jokes aside, after searching for a keeper bow for 3 years I think I've found it!!!   :archer:   Not only that, but the staff at ACS are very helpfull and top notch!
'It's better to have less thunder in the mouth, and more lightning in the hand.' - Apache proverb

Offline eagle24

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2009, 03:43:00 PM »
I draw 29" and have owned 2 64" ACS-CX and 1 66".  I just ordered a new one (will be my 4th)  from A&H, 66", 45# @ 28", 14" metal riser.  There is not a lot of difference, but I like the 66"  better at my draw length.  If you get a 64" you will think you made the right choice, just don't ever shoot a 66".  ;)

Offline oneshot-onekill

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2009, 04:12:00 PM »
Here's another question for you guys shooting them.....their web site says you can go down in draw weight and still get the performance..are you finding this to be true?

Thanks for all the good input....I'm a bowaholic and will never go thru a 12 step program..cause I'm no quiter...LOL  

I am a recurve guy though and after trying about 4 different LB's and have always gone back to the curve...maybe this will be the one.....ya just got to love the lines of a LB
Proverbs 16:9
TGMM Family of the Bow

Terry Barker

Offline BillW

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2009, 04:17:00 PM »
I don't want to redirect this thread but I have an older Adcock (Pre ACS) and I have shot an ACS. In my opinion OL's older limb shoots VERY close to the new one. My Adcock is faster than any of my recurves.... Anyone else notice the similarity on OL's bows?

I think any Adcock I have shot was an excellent bow.

Thanks,
Bill
Aim Small

Online RRock

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: April 24, 2009, 04:18:00 PM »
I found that at the same draw weight the 64" limbs out performed the 62" limbs by a very noticeable amount. BillW, I had a one pcs ACS, 59@28, 64" and it is the only bow that I sold and wish I hadn't. That bow was just amazing in speed and shootability, basically, shot it's self.  My remarks above about limb length are based on a 3 pcs.

Offline eagle24

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: April 24, 2009, 04:54:00 PM »
Originally posted by oneshot-onekill:
Here's another question for you guys shooting them.....their web site says you can go down in draw weight and still get the performance..are you finding this to be true?

Thanks for all the good input....I'm a bowaholic and will never go thru a 12 step program..cause I'm no quiter...LOL  

I am a recurve guy though and after trying about 4 different LB's and have always gone back to the curve...maybe this will be the one.....ya just got to love the lines of a LB
Absolutely!  My favorite of the 3 I have owned was a 66" 41# with metal riser.  I shot that bow, by far, better than any bow I have ever owned.  I would not hesitate to hunt Whitetails with a 41# (44# @ my 29"DL) ACS-CX.  The bow I just ordered is exactly the same, but 45# (48# @ my DL).  I think it will be the perfect weight for me hunting whitetails.  I certainly don't want to start an arguement on the subject of shooting lighter poundage, but I will say this.  I shoot a lighter bow more accurately and I believe this to be the case with most shooters.  I do think you need a reasonably heavy arrow for hunting, but I would rather have a lighter arrow through the lungs than a heavier one in the shoulder.  The flatter the bow casts the longer my effective range is.  Everything is a tradeoff to some degree, but IMO, the ACS-CX gives me the best and most effective hunting setup of any bow I have tried.

Offline WestTnMan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: April 24, 2009, 05:01:00 PM »
Does anyone shoot the 58" 3pc? Never hear anything about them and wonder how they shoot. Everyone always has 62 and 64" ACS's. I wouldn't mind having a 58" 48# @ 28.
Gen 27:3 "Take your hunting gear, your quiver and bow, and go out into the field to hunt some game for me."

Offline Pat B.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: April 24, 2009, 05:13:00 PM »
I have a number of 66" A&H bows and love them. In fact, they are all I shoot and have been fortunate enough to kill quite a lot of game with them in the last couple of years. I shoot in the mid 40's and my arrows blow through deer and hogs for the most part..  They do spoil you, grin...  And the crew at A&H are unbeatable.

Offline CJC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: April 24, 2009, 05:46:00 PM »
it will be the last bow you ever try!

Offline John Havard

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: April 24, 2009, 05:52:00 PM »
There is a downside that we normally try to warn customers about.  Whenever you have one in your hands you immediately become irrestible to members of the opposite sex.  It can be a hassle sometimes.

If you're single with your hook in the water then fine.  But if you're a handsome devil (like me) and happily married then it's a real hassle.  My wife understands it's the bow and nothing I'm trying to do.  But nonetheless everyone should be forwarned about this unintended consequence.

Offline rabbitman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: April 24, 2009, 06:24:00 PM »
Sure glad I'm wearing these high rubber boots when I read that John.  :bigsmyl:  I've got a 64" 3 piece folks and it's really a performer...smooth and quick.

Offline wingnut

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: April 24, 2009, 07:21:00 PM »
Dang John we have the same problem with our Orion.  LOL

As a bowyer, I will say you will not go wrong with a bow from A&H.  I have a history with the company and know for a fact that the bows being built today are the best ACS designed bows ever built.

Mike
Mike Westvang

Offline larry

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: April 24, 2009, 07:31:00 PM »
Terry, when A&H first started making them I bought one...didn't care for it at all, I don't have big hands but to me it felt like the grip was way to small and not comfortable, I didn't keep it for long. When they came out with there recurve riser I started looking around for one, thinking I would give them another try. finally found a used one with 62" limbs making a 64" bow, I only draw about 27.5". To me the recurve riser made a world of difference, the grip is very nice, and the bow shoots great. just my .02

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©