3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: What size beads?  (Read 261 times)

Offline Red Boar

• Trad Bowhunter
What size beads?
« on: April 25, 2009, 09:55:00 AM »
I am considering adding some Native American beads to one of my bows.  Does anyone know what size bowyers typically use?  They are sold in mm's, such as 4mm,  6mm, 8mm and up.  I am guessing maybe 6mm on my buddy Tom's bow below. Are there any disadvantages to adding them, such as noise? Thanks....

Treadway "Black Swamp"
Super Shrew
'62 Kodiak Magnum

Offline No-sage

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: What size beads?
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2009, 10:15:00 AM »
I don't know what size you might want, but they do make noise clacking on the riser.

I put them on one bow but removed them because of noise.

Offline Buckeye Trad Hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2009, 11:07:00 AM »
I don't notice any noise from mine that were put on by the boyer.  My uncle has some pretty large bone beads he used when he added a leather grip to one of his bows and hasn't noticed any noise either, but he hasn't hunted with it yet and we all know how that goes.  If they're gonna make noise that's when they'll do it.

Offline Ray Hammond

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2009, 11:51:00 AM »

GOOGLE IS YOUR FRIEN'

they won't make noise if you use artificial sinew and get them real tight...use two threads, two needles, the last bead on each piece turn on its side so the thread can go back through the whole group..in other words, all the beads stack on each other this way __ one underneath the other, the last bead goes this way [] so you can run sinew back through the whole stack, bring each needle up through your leather and tie them with a double overland knot and super glue the ends.

It will stay in place and not move. Those in your buddies bow look like 3 mm to me.
“Courageous, untroubled, mocking and violent-that is what Wisdom wants us to be. Wisdom is a woman, and loves only a warrior.” - Friedrich Nietzsche

Offline Red Boar

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2009, 11:58:00 AM »
Thanks, Ray...good stuff.  See ya in July.   :thumbsup:
Treadway "Black Swamp"
Super Shrew
'62 Kodiak Magnum

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©