3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Carbon Question. Confused.  (Read 258 times)

Offline Predator1

• Trad Bowhunter
Carbon Question. Confused.
« on: April 26, 2009, 09:15:00 PM »
I have a 55lb Howatt Hunter and draw around 27". I wanted to go with carbon and bought some Carbonwood 3000's which spine at 400. I started bareshaft tuning with full length shafts and 100gr inserts and 100gr tips. Bareshafts great. My problem is, I wanted to end up with a shorter arrow. I just didn't want 4" of arrow sticking out front. But, they do shoot nice and have been using them.

Trying to end up with a shorter arrow I bought some Beman MFX Classics 500. Same thing, bareshafts great full length with 100gr insert and 100gr tip. I hate to try and shorten them even an inch they fly so true. Is there just something about the way each of us shoots that can have an affect on spine preference. FOr instance, same bow, two different guys shoot it with same draw length but require different shafts or tip weight.

Just not sure why my bow and me can shoot a full length shaft with 200grs on the front from a .400 spine and .500 spine. I see so many guys with bows of same or less draw weight and comparable draw lengths that are able to shoot a 29" arrow. Your thoughts if you care to reply.

Offline JRY309

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Carbon Question. Confused.
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2009, 11:11:00 PM »
That is just the nature of carbon arrows,they recover quicker from the paradox.I have carbons that I can shoot from four different bows with an eight pound spread in bow draw weight and they fly great out of all of them.For me most of my carbons usally end up 2-4.5" longer then my draw.With carbons I tune to the dynamic spine I'm looking for in my bow and I don't worry about the length they end up at.A recurve like you have is cut past center and are usally more tolerent of spine,the 500 MFX probably fly good because they are smaller diameter then the 3000.

Offline daveycrockett

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2009, 11:25:00 PM »
Get you some arrow dynamics cut the length you want then find a point weight. They'll shoot for you!

Offline Steve O

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2009, 11:31:00 PM »
If they are tuned, don't worry about how long they are.  Enjoy how well they shoot, not worry how long they are.

Offline sweet old bill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2009, 06:25:00 AM »
I have a 50 lb recurve and the arrows are 29 1/4 inch long in Bemen 500 spine and they fly great. The arrows are made up with 3 5.5 inch long bananna feathers and the tip is 125 gr. My actual draw is 28 1/2 inch, so the peak weight of the bow is about 53 lbs at full draw....with 400 spine arrows I leve them at 31 inch long with the same setup for feathers and point weight...
you should see how I use to shoot
Sand dune archers Myrtle beach SC
Senior archers of Oneonta NY

Offline KentuckyTJ

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2009, 08:51:00 AM »
I'm with Steve O, but we want what we want. So if you cut them down and they don't fly well. You will have to increase your point weight to make the shorter shafts less stiff.
www.zipperbows.com
The fulfillment of your hunt is determined by the amount of effort you put into it  >>>---->

Online Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2009, 09:10:00 AM »
A lot of bows will shoot a fairly broad range of arrow spines well.  There's no doubt one perfect combination, but most don't shoot well enough to truly find it through tuning.  The 500s will probably shoot fine for you as well if you cut them off.  Why not try one and see.  If that works, might try it with the 400s as well.  Good luck.

Offline Predator1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2009, 07:11:00 PM »
Originally posted by daveycrockett:
Get you some arrow dynamics cut the length you want then find a point weight. They'll shoot for you!
I actually bought a 1/2 dozen of these last year and the are awesome but I'm down to three and they are really expensive. I agree though. I cut mine to 29" and threw on some 175gr tips and flight awesome. Also, with the AD's I rarely get even a wiggle of arrow flight. With the other brands I notice more wiggles if I am not clean with my form.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©